• Show
Clear All
  • Johnny Bugmenot
    Will not tolerate vandalism.
    • Apr 2006

BN: Bills keep their faith in Modrak

Wilson says scout chief shoulders unfair blame
    by Mark Gaughan, The Buffalo News

The Buffalo Bills' lack of success in the NFL draft this decade has made Tom Modrak a target of fan discontent.

Yet the Bills' vice president of college scouting is representing the Bills for a 10th straight year at the Senior Bowl this week, and his 34 years of NFL experience remains a valued asset within the team.

How has Modrak survived as the Bills' playoff drought has reached 11 years? Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. says it's hard to lay a big share of the blame on Modrak when he has not had the final say on draft choices.
  • k-oneputt
    • Jun 2009

Re: BN: Bills keep their faith in Modrak

He's still the guy who had Whitner and Maybin near the middle of his 1st rd draft board whether he made the final call or not. He gets some of the blame.

Or he had them two somewhere in the 3rd or 4th rd and they over reached but I can't believe even Jauron would go that far.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by k-oneputt
      He's still the guy who had Whitner and Maybin near the middle of his 1st rd draft board whether he made the final call or not. He gets some of the blame.

Or he had them two somewhere in the 3rd or 4th rd and they over reached but I can't believe even Jauron would go that far.
      Do you believe Ralph would stretch that far?

I don't know why this is so mystifying to so many people, especially people that talk (read: complain) about it every ****ing day of their lives.

Do you honestly think anybody would keep Modrak around if the consistent busts were all his choice? I am pretty sure they would be looking for a scapegoat, and since Modrak hasn't been fired, maybe the guy that pulled the trigger is the one guy you can't fire.

Comment

• k-oneputt
        • Jun 2009

He still evaluated the players and had them ranked as 1st rounders, when it is obvious to everyone [ except maybe you } that they were nowhere near 1st rd. ability.

Comment

• k-oneputt
          • Jun 2009

As for Ralph lets not even go there. He has f'd up his front office hire for 50 yrs outside of Polian.

Comment

• ddaryl
            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
            • Jan 2005

As for Ralph lets not even go there. He has f'd up his front office hire for 50 yrs outside of Polian.

well I doubt anyone can or would defend Ralph's personel choices overall... but there is enough info out there to say that Modrak really hasn't been the one pulling the trigger on our players.

I would also state that the 1st rd players that busted for us were also high on other teams lists as well.. but for whatever reason we pull the trigger faster. So blaming Modrak for that probably isn't worth canning his 34 years of experience, knowing that he really hasn''t had a GM to work with for much of his years with the Bills outside of Donahue.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Beebe's Kid
              Do you believe Ralph would stretch that far?

I don't know why this is so mystifying to so many people, especially people that talk (read: complain) about it every ****ing day of their lives.

Do you honestly think anybody would keep Modrak around if the consistent busts were all his choice? I am pretty sure they would be looking for a scapegoat, and since Modrak hasn't been fired, maybe the guy that pulled the trigger is the one guy you can't fire.
              In this team's struggles going back 10+ years, there are only two consistent pieces: Modrak and Ralph. It has to be one or both.

The only reason I'd disagree: why would they keep their faith in him if he doesn't have final say and they don't listen to him anyway? If it is his fault, he should be fired, and if it's not his fault, then they're not listening to him, so he's irrelevant. What difference would it make if he's here or not?
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• k-oneputt
                • Jun 2009

I never said he was calling the final shot, but he has to catch some of the heat if he is the guy putting the draft board in front of dumb and dumber to make the picks.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                  • Feb 2005

defiinition of madness
                  XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• jamze132
                    Don’t hate…
                    • Jun 2003

I never said he was calling the final shot, but he has to catch some of the heat if he is the guy putting the draft board in front of dumb and dumber to make the picks.
                    How do you know he actually put Whitner and Maybin that high on the draft board? Maybe he had them as mid to low 1st rd's like just about every other team? Maybe Dicknose **** his pants when Michael Huff (bust) was taken by Oakland in front of us and he reached for Whitner? Can't blame Modrak for that. and I highly doubt Modrak had Maybin ranked that high. If he did, he wouldn't have been retained by Nix.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                      Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                      • Jun 2005

He still evaluated the players and had them ranked as 1st rounders, when it is obvious to everyone [ except maybe you } that they were nowhere near 1st rd. ability.
                      Sorry to say but everyone I seen at draft time had those 2 ranked in 1st round. Maybe we reached a little bit but I bet my bottom dollar that was because of Ralphy.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                        • Jun 2009

It's possible he didn't have them rated as 1st rounders. Idk.
                        With Ralph, Levy, Jauron anything is possible.

Comment

• Philagape
                          WIN NOW
                          • Jul 2002

Ooooohh that is VERY believable
                          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• k-oneputt
                            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Philagape
                            Ooooohh that is VERY believable
                            I think that's what I stated. Reading comprehension.

Comment

• Philagape
                              WIN NOW
                              • Jul 2002

I think that's what I stated. Reading comprehension.
                              You said "I can't believe even Jauron would go that far."

Can't is a contraction for can not, right? If so, my comprehension's just fine, thank you.
                              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

Working...
                              X