• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    • Jan 2009

The Truth About Cam Newton

Will he or Wont he pan out?

When I watched him play this year - on a few mild occasions- this is what I saw: A guy that is very athletic, Run First, one read offense, a guy that has a problem reading defenses, some accurancy and touch issues. Overall, I think he has a very very long way to go before being a special QB in this league.

Here are those exact sentiments expressed in the last 20 sec or so:

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

FYI: No Way I take this guy in the Fist Round, much less at 3. I would consider him in the 2nd round if he falls.
    Please Make Sense
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Re: The Truth About Cam Newton

Everyone said Tebow wouldn't work out and neither would McCoy. Both looked good when thrown into action last season.

Comment

• psubills62
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Mahdi
      Everyone said Tebow wouldn't work out and neither would McCoy. Both looked good when thrown into action last season.
      I wouldn't rave about their success stories just yet, considering each of those two teams are drafting in the top 6. Looking good for a 5-11 or 4-12 team is different from looking good for a playoff team.
      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• tampabay25690
        • Feb 2004

I guess we will have to see how he pans out.......
        GO Gators!!!!!!
        GO GATORS!!

Comment

• baalworship
          • May 2003

I saw a completely different quarterback than you did this year. I saw Cam Newton take an Auburn team on his back to tear up the SEC and win a national championship. I saw a quarterback with a very accurate deep pass and who displayed excellent pocket presence. I saw a quarterback that had "it."

Regardless, Buddy Nix will make the call in conjunction with Chan Gailey. Their pick for quarterback will be the most important call they make. I don't expect them to make this choice without reviewing every game tape and turning over every stone on the top candidates.

Comment

• Philagape
            WIN NOW
            • Jul 2002

There have been plenty of college "its" that didn't become NFL "its"
            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Ebenezer
              Give me a minute...
              • Jul 2002

This has all the making of Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf. Do they roll the dice? I'd rather have a DE and then take Gabbert or Ponder later in the draft.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Dr. Who
                • Jul 2002

Gabbert isn't going to be there in the second. Think I'd take a shot at the Iowa qb over Ponder if I try for a day two qb.

Comment

• Buffalo Thriller
                  • Sep 2010

Cam needs to quicken his 5 and and 7 step drop and he will hit all the throws.
                  I can't wait for the Draft. We need to grab Newton.
                  Originally posted by OpIv37
                  You guys, the solution is so simple. Find the crazy kids who are shooting up the schools and have them shoot people getting off planes from West Africa.

No more school shootings, no more Ebola.

Obama would have thought of this already if he wasn't a pinko commie Nazi queer-loving wetback-loving Kenyan Indonesian Muslim.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                    • Apr 2005

I think if we get a QB we get Kaepernick or Ponder

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Mike
                      Will he or Wont he pan out?

When I watched him play this year - on a few mild occasions- this is what I saw: A guy that is very athletic, Run First, one read offense, a guy that has a problem reading defenses, some accurancy and touch issues. Overall, I think he has a very very long way to go before being a special QB in this league.

Here are those exact sentiments expressed in the last 20 sec or so:

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

FYI: No Way I take this guy in the Fist Round, much less at 3. I would consider him in the 2nd round if he falls.
                      No one really knows if he is going to pan out or not. I think there is little question that he is an extremely gifted athlete and he knows it. The real question is how hard is this guy willing to work to get better at his job? If he comes into the NFL thinking his talent is good enough to get him through, he will fail. If he is willing to learn, willing to put the time in, and work hard to improve his game, he will be a really good QB in the NFL. If he shows not only that he can lead, but his team will follow him, he will be great. It's really a matter now of how far your willing to stick your neck out as a HC and say this is my QB. A pick like this will either make or break Gailey as a HC in Buffalo. JMO

Comment

• EricStratton
                        • Jul 2002

Shouldn't this (along with the 527 other threads like it) be titles "My opinion on Cam Newton"?

No one sitting where we all are knows what this player can do and none of us have watched the tapes the coaches and scouts watch yet many of us know the "truth".

Comment

• TigerJ
                          • Jul 2002

I've seen suggestions that Newton would be able to get on the field for some gadget plays, but won't be anywhere near a full time starter his first year. That seems about right to me. I think Gabbert will get on the field more, depending on where he goes. I'm not particularly in support of picking any QB at #3 overall, but I suppose I could live with it.

Actually, Newton might be a huge beneficiary of a lockout if the season is canceled. If he's got the dedication he can use the time to fix any issues with mechanics and do all the off field preparation he can so when he can get on the field in training camp 2012 he'll be a lot better prepared to step on the field in a starting role.
                          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TigerJ
                            I've seen suggestions that Newton would be able to get on the field for some gadget plays, but won't be anywhere near a full time starter his first year. That seems about right to me. I think Gabbert will get on the field more, depending on where he goes. I'm not particularly in support of picking any QB at #3 overall, but I suppose I could live with it.

Actually, Newton might be a huge beneficiary of a lockout if the season is canceled. If he's got the dedication he can use the time to fix any issues with mechanics and do all the off field preparation he can so when he can get on the field in training camp 2012 he'll be a lot better prepared to step on the field in a starting role.
                            I think it strongly depends on who drafts him. Will he go to a team that needs him to jump right in and be the guy from day one ala Sam Bradford? or will he end up on a team that already has a guy that isn't great but good enough to hold down the fort until Cam is ready? Both he and Gabbert are in the same boat especially if they are both taken in the first round like many are predicting. JMO

Comment

• Mike
                              • Jan 2009

Shouldn't this (along with the 527 other threads like it) be titles "My opinion on Cam Newton"?

No one sitting where we all are knows what this player can do and none of us have watched the tapes the coaches and scouts watch yet many of us know the "truth".
                              The truth is apparent. It does not hide in the future somewhere. At this point, most of us know what Newton is and what he is not. Knowing what we know, would you draft him?
                              As far as the future and his potential, these are unknowns. He may or may not pan out, but we have to base our opinion on the current facts.
                              Please Make Sense

Comment

Working...
                              X