• gggbills
    • Mar 2003

Lockout Lifted...No Stay

Saw this on NFL Network
  • NOT THE DUDE...
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Jan 2010

Re: Lockout Lifted...No Stay

so does this mean that the 8th circuit will order the season to be played under 2010 rules until a settlement is reached?

Comment

• gggbills
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by JOHN DELLAPELLE
      so does this mean that the 8th circuit will order the season to be played under 2010 rules until a settlement is reached?
      I think the owners will file for an appeal and a stay ASAP. In fact I would be surprised if the owners did not have that paperwork done already. They have to get the stay ASAP or I would think that you would be (at least) able to trade players, sign FAs and trade players during the draft. This could get wild if the owners do not get the lockout reinstated in the next 24-48 hours
      Last edited by gggbills; 04-25-2011, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• X-Era
        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
        • Feb 2005

What a mess.

Technically, free agency has begun.

However, I can easily see the NFL talking with the teams and telling them to not make any moves... however, thats a possible anti-trust suit.

I don't think anything will happen as far as transactions now.

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Whatever happens, whoever is the loser will appeal the decision, guaranteed.

Comment

• X-Era
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by better days
            Whatever happens, whoever is the loser will appeal the decision, guaranteed.
            Yes, But technically, there is no stay, so teams are free to make any transactions they choose.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
              Hall of Fame Zoner
              • Jan 2010

SIGN MARCUS SPEARS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• X-Era
                • Feb 2005

SIGN MARCUS SPEARS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!
                I just don't think we will see any transactions until the appellate decision on whether to lift the stay or not.

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

From LaCanfora:

"Bottom line now is unless appeals court breaks from Judge Nelson's ruling, the NFL will be open for business once appeal process complete"

http://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/62638724793630720

I think that's the most likely situation right now. I don't think any transactions will occur until the appellate court rules on this.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                    Hall of Fame Zoner
                    • Jan 2010

Is the appellate court going to rule very soon? they will probably side with judge susan, correct? in other words the nfl is open for business under 2010 rules until a settlement is reached or the appeals process goes through...

Comment

• X-Era
                      • Feb 2005

Is the appellate court going to rule very soon? they will probably side with judge susan, correct? in other words the nfl is open for business under 2010 rules until a settlement is reached or the appeals process goes through...
                      Let me start by saying I don't know. But, my guess is that the NFL won't impose 2010 rules until they get a decision on the appeal. But, it would seem that technically the NFL is open for business.

Comment

• ddaryl
                        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                        • Jan 2005

There will not be any rules. The 2010 contract is officially null and void... It's a free for all IMO

but I also believe the owners don't want chaos and won't act...

if the appeal courts doesn't over turn, my money is the owners negotiate the best revenue sharing % they can get plus $1 bil off the top and we will have a new CBA.

the owners are looking for any leverage they can get to get that % # down more....

all opinion

Comment

• Ebenezer
                          Give me a minute...
                          • Jul 2002

Amazing the timing considering the draft is Thursday...Appeal will be made on Monday...just enough of an open window to allow trades at the draft.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                            Will not tolerate vandalism.
                            • Apr 2006

Unfortunately for the NFLPA, the judge ruled on the basis of who would be hurt more. She did not judge on what the laws say on this, or whether a lockout is illegal.

The NFL stands a very good chance of winning this one on appeal.

But... given what I understand... the judge told the league to impose its own rules. So, if they really wanted to, they could just impose everything they want (the rookie pay scale, the 18-game season, etc.). But... that would likely just lead from a lockout to a strike.

Comment

• Dujek
                              Hall of Fame Zoner
                              • Jan 2008

But if the NFLPA has decertified the players can't vote on strike action, because doing that means the NFLPA is acting as a union, and therefore the owners win.

This ruling could work in the owners favour.

Comment

Working...
                              X