Thread: Serious injuries would have carried over to next round

Thanks
    Thanked 17,690 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Serious injuries would have carried over to next round

PHILADELPHIA -- Coach Lindy Ruff shed some light on the Buffalo Sabres' injury woes after Tuesday's season-ending loss to the Philadelphia Flyers and did not paint a pretty picture as to what the Sabres would have been forced to deal with had they advanced to play the Washington Capitals.

Ruff revealed the leg gash suffered by Jason Pominville in Game Five was serious, and that a tendon had been sliced. The winger needs surgery and the injury would have kept him sidelined 4-6 months had the injury happened during the regular season. Ruff also said center Tim Connolly would have been out six weeks with an undisclosed injury after taking Mike Richards' hit Sunday.

After leaving his postgame press conference, Ruff told a Toronto Sun reporter Pominville's injury was "the worst gash I've ever seen."

In addition, Rob Niedermayer's status would have been uncertain as he played just 12 minutes Tuesday after taking a hit from behind from Danny Briere, who earned only a two-minute penalty on the play.

Patrick Kaleta, Mike Grier and Jordan Leopold were all surprise absentees from the morning skate although Grier (knee) and Leopold (flu) managed to play in the game. Derek Roy, Mark Mancari, Jochen Hecht and Andrej Sekera were all inserted in the lineup as Matt Ellis and the struggling Steve Montador were scratched.

Kaleta did not make the trip and there were rumors he was out because of a broken hand. It's unclear if he suffered the injury during Game Six, especially since he played right through to the final shift of overtime, or if there was some situation in the locker room after the game where he suffered an injury.

Ruff scoffed when pressed on Kaleta's situation following the morning skate.

"I'm not commenting," Ruff said. "After the game? You guys like to make up crap. That's a good story, that one."
    http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle404454.ece

Thanks
    Thanked 17,690 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Serious injuries would have carried over to next round

Damn - Pominville might not be ready for the regular season opened.

Registered User chernobylwraiths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And still nothing on that "accidental" skate to Pomminville's leg. Which team was getting away with murder again? If Philly meets a team with a little deeper offensive talent, they are in big trouble. Personally, I hope it is Boston.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I could see Briere getting a suspension... I gotta say that that would make me feel better. He turned out to be quite a little *****.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Flyers did play dirty. Did anyone else see how VanRiemsdyk appeared to use his skate and clip Miller on the arm pit area. Makes me wonder if he tried to hurt Pominville. Throw in Richards and his whiny remarks yet dirty play I hope they get punked in the next round.

Registered User chernobylwraiths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm
    I could see Briere getting a suspension... I gotta say that that would make me feel better. He turned out to be quite a little *****.
    He's always been that player. I would love to have him back.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by chernobylwraiths
    He's always been that player. I would love to have him back.
    another reason to hate TG and LQ.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 912 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm
    That's not going to happen. Nobody in the league office gives a damn what happens to Sabres players.
    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."