Thread: If You Really Want Da'Quan Bowers, You Should Be Hoping We Revert Back to a 4-3

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If You Really Want Da'Quan Bowers, You Should Be Hoping We Revert Back to a 4-3

If we draft Bowers, too, tell me why we shouldn't be mostly playing a 4-man front when Dareus was considered the best 3-tech DT in the Draft (primarily why he was considered such a great fit for Denver at #2), Kyle Williams is a quintessential 4-3 DT himself, and Bowers' best fit is as a 4-3 DE, not a 34 DE.

That's mostly why I don't see us taking Bowers: we have an odd front- we're not permanently switching back to a 4-3 alignment- and we already have three strong starters (Dareus, Williams, Edwards) and three mostly inexperienced but nevertheless talented depth (Carrington, Troup, and Spencer Johnson). Even with just one, albeit emphatic, pick w/Dareus, our defensive line has immeasurably improved. And now I think it's time to address another need area on the team.

I'm usually a 'BPA' type of guy, but Bowers lasted this long and therefore his knee injury is really that concerning. So maybe he isn't the best player available at this juncture, anyway.

I think I'd pass. Unless, like I said, the Bills are reverting back to a 4-3 to incorporate and accentuate all of these talents, including Bowers. Otherwise, we'll be wasting somebody's talent and failing to address another crucial area (TE w/Rudolph; OLB w/Ayers, Reed, or Houston; QB to groom w/either Mallett, Dalton, or Kaepernick).
    Last edited by Midwesternbillsfan; 04-29-2011 at 12:28 AM.

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: If You Really Want Da'Quan Bowers, You Should Be Hoping We Revert Back to a 4-3

You forgot McCargo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: If You Really Want Da'Quan Bowers, You Should Be Hoping We Revert Back to a 4-3

We're taking Jabaal Sheard.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,509 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Oaf
    You forgot McCargo.
    Who?

Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER NOT THE DUDE...'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

i think its probably rudolph or reed, most likely rudolph because nix said he wants a starter and rudolph would start right now...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Respectfully disagree ...if his knee holds up he will be a monster as a 3 4 defensive end. ..he can also move in on nickel ...

Quote Originally Posted by Midwesternbillsfan
    If we draft Bowers, too, tell me why we shouldn't be mostly playing a 4-man front when Dareus was considered the best 3-tech DT in the Draft (primarily why he was considered such a great fit for Denver at #2), Kyle Williams is a quintessential 4-3 DT himself, and Bowers' best fit is as a 4-3 DE, not a 34 DE.

That's mostly why I don't see us taking Bowers: we have an odd front- we're not permanently switching back to a 4-3 alignment- and we already have three strong starters (Dareus, Williams, Edwards) and three mostly inexperienced but nevertheless talented depth (Carrington, Troup, and Spencer Johnson). Even with just one, albeit emphatic, pick w/Dareus, our defensive line has immeasurably improved. And now I think it's time to address another need area on the team.

I'm usually a 'BPA' type of guy, but Bowers lasted this long and therefore his knee injury is really that concerning. So maybe he isn't the best player available at this juncture, anyway.

I think I'd pass. Unless, like I said, the Bills are reverting back to a 4-3 to incorporate and accentuate all of these talents, including Bowers. Otherwise, we'll be wasting somebody's talent and failing to address another crucial area (TE w/Rudolph; OLB w/Ayers, Reed, or Houston; QB to groom w/either Mallett, Dalton, or Kaepernick).
    Hated by the stupid..
    Loved by their moms.

Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER NOT THE DUDE...'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

bottom line, if nix thinks his knee is fine and just hype, then you must take him, if not, then take rudolph or brooks reed

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by acehole
    Respectfully disagree ...if his knee holds up he will be a monster as a 3 4 defensive end. ..he can also move in on nickel ...
    I never said that he couldn't- I just stated that it isn't his ideal position, and every alleged draft guru would back up that opinion (he's not either J.J. Watt or Cameron Heyward- they're prototypical 5-tech 34 DE's; Bowers isn't. He can play it- but he isn't).

Anyway, that wasn't my main point; my main point was that this team should either switch their alignment to magnify the abilities of these players (if we continue to add to it w/Bowers). But I was actually less than subtly suggesting that I don't see that happening, and I really don't see us adding Bowers, not after drafting Dareus 3rd overall, taking Troup and Carrington last April in the second and third rounds, respectively, and then also giving Dwan Edwards a 4-year, $18 million dollar contract. I really believe that we have stockpiled more than sufficient talent along the defensive line with three solid starters, including a 3rd overall pick and a Pro Bowler (and the third a significant FA addition). And our depth (Carrington; Troup; Spencer Johnson) is pretty enviable, too. That's six sound players- and the seventh doesn't need to be the caliber of Bowers, not at the expense of failing to address another position.

Now like I said if we're switching to a 4-3 defense to accomodate these players' abilities and sheer number, that's one thing and that's totally different. But I really doubt we are, and I just don't think the Bills are in any type of position to luxuriously address one area of the team and so abjectly ignore so many others (RT; TE; OLB; etc.).
    Last edited by Midwesternbillsfan; 04-29-2011 at 12:46 AM.