So we spent our 2nd rounder last year on a backup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

So we spent our 2nd rounder last year on a backup?

In a rotation, Troup will play plenty and is important. But, we spent our 2nd rounder last year on a guy who appears to be a backup. For a team that wants to build mostly through the draft, don't we need starters from several of our picks every year? At this point, Moats is the only starter from last year. In a 3-4, both our 2nd and 3rd rounders last year are backups. And in the 4-3, one or the other is a backup.

Am I over thinking this?

Find all the latest Rotoworld fantasy sports news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

To be fair, Chris Brown's response was actually this:

CB: The coaches will obviously make those decisions, but here’s what I envision them doing. In a 3-4 set it should be from left to right Dareus, Williams and Dwan Edwards. Carrington and Spencer Johnson are the two rotational ends with Torell Troup the backup nose.
    If they choose to go to more of a 4-3 look in the subpackages, Dareus will likely kick inside with Williams. Carrington, who is one of the better pass rushing ends would likely be on the field as well, with possible a stand up linebacker on the right side next to Williams.
    In a straight 4-3 I’d expect it to be left to right Dareus, Troup, Williams, Edwards"

• Oldbillsfan
    shelby's big brother smilie smilie
    • Mar 2007

Re: So we spent our 2nd rounder last year on a backup?

Actually their first rounder was a back up too, and the one drafted the previous year isn't good enough to play special teams.

Who knows, maybe Troup will earn the starting role. Depth would be a nice problem to have on the last ranked run defense.

Comment

• X-Era
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Oldbillsfan
      Actually their first rounder was a back up too, and the one drafted the previous year isn't good enough to play special teams.

Who knows, maybe Troup will earn the starting role. Depth would be a nice problem to have on the last ranked run defense.
      On the depth, absolutely. We can't have enough good D-lineman. But this is a 4 win team that appears to be netting backups in the first few rounds of the past few drafts.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
        Peterman Sucks!
        • Mar 2006

Players like Troup and moreso Maybin are the reason this is a 4 win football team. You cannot overcome year after year after year of bad drafts.

Comment

• EDS
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by X-Era
          In a rotation, Troup will play plenty and is important. But, we spent our 2nd rounder last year on a guy who appears to be a backup. For a team that wants to build mostly through the draft, don't we need starters from several of our picks every year? At this point, Moats is the only starter from last year. In a 3-4, both our 2nd and 3rd rounders last year are backups. And in the 4-3, one or the other is a backup.

Am I over thinking this?

Find all the latest Rotoworld fantasy sports news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

CB: The coaches will obviously make those decisions, but here’s what I envision them doing. In a 3-4 set it should be from left to right Dareus, Williams and Dwan Edwards. Carrington and Spencer Johnson are the two rotational ends with Torell Troup the backup nose.
          If they choose to go to more of a 4-3 look in the subpackages, Dareus will likely kick inside with Williams. Carrington, who is one of the better pass rushing ends would likely be on the field as well, with possible a stand up linebacker on the right side next to Williams.
          In a straight 4-3 I’d expect it to be left to right Dareus, Troup, Williams, Edwards"
          We should be thankful that some of the latter round guys and undrafted free agents in the last few years (i.e., Peters, Greer, Jackson, Johnson, Bell, etc.) have amounted to something otherwise this would be a historically bad team.

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Troup reportedly in some intense workout regime that has him up to a solid 328 lbs.

He'll be on the field a lot in year 2, since many 4-3 sets will be common. Carrington will see snaps.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

Lets see everything unfold first before we start making assumptions about this years line-up.
              Last edited by justasportsfan; 05-16-2011, 05:19 PM.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
                Troup reportedly in some intense workout regime that has him up to a solid 328 lbs.

He'll be on the field a lot in year 2, since many 4-3 sets will be common. Carrington will see snaps.
                How will he see the field in our 43 sets? KW and Dareus are the 43 DT's. And many posters dont want to sit KW on 3rd and pass since he's one of our best pass rushers.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                  Lets see everything unfold first before we start making assumptions about this years line-up.
                  Why? This is all we can do till this stupid lockout is resolved.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• acehole
                    • Jan 2006

Would not get to excited here...these guys will rotate more the sabs mom at at Rappers bachelor party.

So whoever is on the field opening snap would not make to much difference.

Am I over thinking this?

Hated by the stupid..
                    Loved by their moms.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                      Why? This is all we can do till this stupid lockout is resolved.
                      it almost sounds like we're complaining about blowing a 2nd and we don't even have a team yet. troup may very well be a stud player for us just like a 5th rd. pick in 2006 turned out to be one for us.
                      Last edited by justasportsfan; 05-16-2011, 05:44 PM.
                      sacrifice1

Comment

• X-Era
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                        it almost sounds like we're complaining about blowing a 2nd and we don't even have a team yet.
                        To me the question is this: Do we need to be drafting more starters and studs if we truly plan to build the team through the draft?

I guess I feel like the answer to that may be yes.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

To me the question is this: Do we need to be drafting more starters and studs if we truly plan to build the team through the draft?

I guess I feel like the answer to that may be yes.
                          you have to understand the situation we were in when we drafted troup. Everyone was saying Kyle was not a fit, blah,blah , blah so we drafted one . Now that kyle turned out to be a stud we're questioning drafting Troup? If Mckelvin turns the corner and becomes a stud cb this season are we going to complain about drafting Aaron Williams next year?
                          sacrifice1

Comment

• Raptor
                            • Jan 2009

I think Troup will eventually be the starter. Thing is it takes time for these guys to develop , just ask Phins about Solai(sp?) and Franklin from SF.

Plus having a deep DL is never a bad thing. obviously they need to develop but this is the best i've felt about this unit in years

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Raptor

Plus having a deep DL is never a bad thing.
                              exactly. Even if Troup comes in during rotation but kicks ass and takes names, I won't have a problem with that. That simply means that the guys ahead of him are doing well.
                              sacrifice1

Comment

Working...
                              X