Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are the Darcy haters now??

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Where are the Darcy haters now??

Come on in and complain. I'm sorry. A long time ago, I used to bash Darcy Regier all the time and defend Lindy Ruff. Over the years I started to realize what was going on with the ownership. Since, I (and a couple of others) spent time defending DR and complaining that it was the previous ownership and I got loads and loads of flack. Now, a real owner comes to town and takes the handcuffs off of Darcy and what do we get??

1. Trade for Boyes
    2. Trade for Regehr
    3. Signing of Gerbe
    4. Trade for the rights of Ehroff and subsequent signing at $40 mil over 10 years.
    5. Rumors that the Sabres will be an active player for Richards.

What's your impression of Regier now??

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Where are the Darcy haters now??

It proves Darcy was hamstrung.

I am happy for Darcy. Finally can show his stuff.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

i think the years of being in handcuffs will make him a better GM with the blank check, and while i may have not posted about it much, i have supported darcy for a while, even before pegula came around, i've been more critical of ruff
    RIP Tommy D!
    12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezer
    Come on in and complain. I'm sorry. A long time ago, I used to bash Darcy Regier all the time and defend Lindy Ruff. Over the years I started to realize what was going on with the ownership. Since, I (and a couple of others) spent time defending DR and complaining that it was the previous ownership and I got loads and loads of flack. Now, a real owner comes to town and takes the handcuffs off of Darcy and what do we get??

1. Trade for Boyes
    2. Trade for Regehr
    3. Signing of Gerbe
    4. Trade for the rights of Ehroff and subsequent signing at $40 mil over 10 years.
    5. Rumors that the Sabres will be an active player for Richards.

What's your impression of Regier now??
    We can only hope that Ralph is either forced to do the same or a new owner does it for him...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

it's pretty obvious he was extremely handcuffed with previous ownership now.

anyone who hated darcy before is going to be hard-pressed to find any complaints right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOSman WINS
    Vanek is Austrian not European
    Quote Originally Posted by Prov401
    Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
    Quote Originally Posted by better days
    I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Sabres Zone
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quinn was always the problem.
    “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

myers-ehroff on the point in the PP for the foreseeable future is a wet dream.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Wow! I always wondered if Darcy was getting handcuffed. It boggled my mind why so many people rated him as one of the best GM's in the league. Hockey News raved about him. I never saw it. But you gotta give him credit. Apparently he wasn't the reason why the roster was gutted after making it to Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals. He wasn't the reason why Briere, Drury, McKee, Tallinder, Lydman, Campbell were all allowed to leave. Thank God for Terry Pegula! And **** you to both Larry Quinn and Tom Golisano! It's so nice to have an owner who wants to win, and will do WHATEVER it takes!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

By the way Eb....this is what's it's like to root for the Yankees. Anything is possible with an owner as rich as Pegula!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

with the regeher trade, people in this forum were giving away our first round pick. he got a second round pick and got rid of two guys that arent key players. you kind of have to give him credit. routinely he moves lesser people for greater people.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Michael82
    Wow! I always wondered if Darcy was getting handcuffed. It boggled my mind why so many people rated him as one of the best GM's in the league. Hockey News raved about him. I never saw it. But you gotta give him credit. Apparently he wasn't the reason why the roster was gutted after making it to Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals. He wasn't the reason why Briere, Drury, McKee, Tallinder, Lydman, Campbell were all allowed to leave. Thank God for Terry Pegula! And **** you to both Larry Quinn and Tom Golisano! It's so nice to have an owner who wants to win, and will do WHATEVER it takes!
    You never understood? The guy withstood how many ownership changes yet was never fired? He was taking orders - like a good employee.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus
    with the regeher trade, people in this forum were giving away our first round pick. he got a second round pick and got rid of two guys that arent key players. you kind of have to give him credit. routinely he moves lesser people for greater people.
    Well it is a lot easier when you can take on salary knowing that Pegula will buy out or be fine with paying big for a player to be in the AHL.

Registered User chernobylwraiths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I have always bashed Darcy. I didn't like his "We'll have to educate the fans" when dealing with Peca. I didn't like the way he came in and his first official act was to alienate the fan favorite coach Ted Nolan, and I didn't like the way he has always seemed to take forever on moving players and falling in love with some of the guys that he has like Pomminville and Connolly. I feel that anybody who would keep a job where he wasn't allowed to make moves, basically not allowed to improve was someone who was weak. I feel that the Boyes move was decent at the time, but possibly just getting another weak playing player who is soft in the playoffs. There is more that I didn't like about some of the moves that he made or didn't make, but mistakes will always be made.

I however say that it is becoming more apparent that I was wrong about him in the aspect that he is afraid to make moves and is gun shy. I think a lot of the credit has to go to Pegula with opening up the purse strings, but in the last few days, Regier has not only been decisive and taken risks, but has acquired a player that (in substance) I have long wanted for this team. I big, tough, stay at home defenseman. I thought Rivet might have been that guy, but his best days were past him. I can only hope Regehr's attitude can be contagious.

If Darcy can land Richards, this team is an immediate contender for the Cup.

So, apparently I was wrong about him. But I think my reasoning was sound, and his whole career people were making excuses for him. I think it is difficult to make excuses for over 10 years. But, I guess I'm glad they have kept him.

Registered User chernobylwraiths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Michael82
    By the way Eb....this is what's it's like to root for the Yankees. Anything is possible with an owner as rich as Pegula!
    Not even close. Pegula seems like a nice guy. And Hockey has a salary cap. If hockey didn't have a cap, the Sabres would be long gone. The Yankees and teams like them have ruined baseball. When I was growing up, baseball was king and everything else was a distant second. Now, people don't care much for baseball at all. It's not all the Yankees fault, but they have been a big reason.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

darcy sucks still... its all pegula baby... if darcy was good he would have been able to do it with no cash

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The problem under Golisano was not that they didn't spend money. They did. Only on the wrong players. Golisano spent $50 million on Pominville and Roy, on top of the Vanek and Miller megadeals. That $50 million is more than what could have locked up Briere and Drury in 2006. And they were all longer deals. Golisano was not cheap.
    Darcy has become more bold, so it's good that he's learned from the Bernier/Moore/Torres era (you can't just erase those failures). And I'd expect any halfway competent GM to spend freely with a blank-check owner. I've never doubted Darcy's eye for talent, and now he has an extraordinary advantage. What he's done so far is the least he can do.
    Signing Richards will go a long way toward undoing the recent four lost seasons. If not, then my criteria for letting Darcy off the hook is what it was previously: the Sabres must return to where they were before Black Sunday. He still has to earn redemption.
    So far, so good, but he better not be done.
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Thanks
    Thanked 26,296 Times in 13,726 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I was never thrilled with Darcy, but I was always open to the possibility that he was hamstrung by Golisano and Quinn.

So far, that seems to be the case. I'm not willing to let him off the hook completely unless these moves pan out, but without Golisano's restrictions, he's certainly willing to make the bold move.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i was very stimulated when i got the text that erhoff was signed.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DrGraves
    darcy sucks still... its all pegula baby... if darcy was good he would have been able to do it with no cash
    You do know this statement is totally ignorant right?

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think getting premier defensemen Regehr and Ehrhoff, plus a second and a seventh, and giving up only Montador, Butler, Byron and a fourth, before free agency has even started, speaks for itself.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?