• Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Official July 1 Free Agency thread - Sabres news

Let's keep it in one thread.

From today's New York Post:

If it's truly going to take an eight- or nine-year front-loaded deal worth between $55-60 million to sign Richards -- Buffalo is believed preparing an offer even larger in scope -- and if Richards is going to need a match to become a Ranger, Sather will hold on to his cash for a later day and another option.
    Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1QquQQOrV
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • BlackMetalNinja
    I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
    • May 2005

Re: Official July 1 Free Agency thread

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter
    Let's keep it in one thread.

From today's New York Post:

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1QquQQOrV
    I was going to suggest a separate thread for Sabres discussion and one for other NHL signings...

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
      Zero for Zero!
      • Mar 2003

Re: Official July 1 Free Agency thread

Originally posted by BlackMetalNinja
      I was going to suggest a separate thread for Sabres discussion and one for other NHL signings...
      Sounds good.

This one is for the Sabres

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Re: Official July 1 Free Agency thread - Sabres news

Buffalo – With owner Terry Pegula’ unleashing his resources, free agency will be a more pleasant experience for GM Darcy Regier, who lost a number of important players (Henrik Tallinder, Toni Lydman, Chris Drury, Daniel Briere) to the previous owner’s thrifty practices. Regier has spoken with the agents for two of his UFA’s – center Tim Connolly and gritty forward Cody McCormick – but if they can’t reach an agreeable number, they may not be back. And it appears that Mike Grier and Rob Niedermayer won’t return, so there are spots up front to fill. Potential rookies Zack Kassian and Luke Adams will likely get shots in training camp and there are indications that Drury would like to return and he could be a bargain. Some speculate the Sabres will be a player in the Brad Richards hunt, but, failing that, getting a healthy Derek Roy back will be like a signing a major top line free agent for a team that played surprisingly well in his absence. UPDATE: The Sabres have now signed pending UFA defenseman Christian Ehrhoff to a long-term deal after acquiring his rights from the Islanders for a fourth round pick; the Isles had earlier gotten Ehrhoff’s rights from the Canucks for a fourth round pick.

Interesting about Drury. If he is cheap (i.e. 1.5 million or less) and the knee will hold up he can be a #3 guy

Comment

• Mr. Pink
          Peterman Sucks!
          • Mar 2006

If the Sabres land Richards they'll be in the mix of the top 3 teams in the Eastern Conference and will have a legitimate shot at making a run for the Cup.

Not being a Sabres fan it doesn't matter to me if he signs here or not but for all you guys I hope he does.

Some real excitement and a legitimate Cup run would go a long way for the city.

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

I heard last night about the Sabres 8-10 year front loaded offer. Apparently nobody though Buffalo was going to make that kind of an offer and its made Richards put the brakes on going straight to the Rangers.

Not sure of the Rangers cap situation, can they match that kind of an offer?
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DrGraves
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
              If the Sabres land Richards they'll be in the mix of the top 3 teams in the Eastern Conference and will have a legitimate shot at making a run for the Cup.

Not being a Sabres fan it doesn't matter to me if he signs here or not but for all you guys I hope he does.

im not ready to proclaim anything yet but yes it should be a much more competitive club already... clearly we are no boston, philly, washington, pittsburgh... at least yet.

Comment

• tampabay25690
                • Feb 2004

I have been trying to get info the past day or 2....
                Very hush hush right now.........

Richards would be great but thats a boat load of cash.....
                Would be nice to see him on the same line as Vanek.....
                GO Gators!!!!!!
                GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

Originally posted by DrGraves
                  im not ready to proclaim anything yet but yes it should be a much more competitive club already... clearly we are no boston, philly, washington, pittsburgh... at least yet.
                  But with the 2 defensemen we have just signed, and a couple of good prospects ready to join the big club, I think we're only a first line center away from being in the mix with those teams.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• The King
                    Without me it's just Awe so
                    • Jun 2004

Good Luck today guys, you should have an exciting day.

I remember it like it was yesterday when the B's signed both Chara and Savard at the beginning of FA. It was mind blowing.
                    Last edited by The King; 07-01-2011, 07:32 AM.
                    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                    It was all
                    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by King Bedard
                      Good Luck today guys, you should have an exciting day.

I remember it like it was yesterday when the B's signed both Chara and Savard at the beginning of FA. It was mind blowing.
                      and it took a few years, but it paid off for you guys.

I seriously hope that's what happens to us....
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
                        Closet Bills Fan
                        • Nov 2004

for those of you with NHL network.....

tsnjamesduthie james duthie

We're also on The NHL Network today, for those who asked. 12est.

1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

TSN on NHL network :)

j-e-t-s
                        jets jets jets (insert suck for those who aren't gangreen fans)

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!

How does a Cleveland boy like yourself have the Penguins as your team? Isnt it Sac religious to partner with DA BURGH?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                            How does a Cleveland boy like yourself have the Penguins as your team? Isnt it Sac religious to partner with DA BURGH?

Cleveland Lumberjacks were the IHL affiliate of the Pens.

I got to watch Petr Sykora, Martin Straka, Markus Naslund among others all play at Richfield Coliseum and then Gund Arena/Quicken Loans.

Comment

• Mski
                              • Mar 2006

Shae Webber is going to team elected arbitration.... he is not eligible for an offer sheet
                              RIP Tommy D!
                              12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Comment

Working...
                              X