Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Source: Expect Florence Back With Buffalo Bills

Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE patmoran2006's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Source: Expect Florence Back With Buffalo Bills

I spoke to a source connected to the Buffalo Bills and once the NFL lockout ends, which now appears imminent, the Bills have every intention of quickly re-signing cornerback Drayton Florence.

By rule, Bills general manager Buddy Nix is prohibited from discussing business with Florence or his representation. Let’s just say both parties are more than open to a reunion.

“He’s a strong, physical corner that is an asset not just in the passing game but against the run,” the source said. “As you can tell by the guys (the Bills) drafted, being stronger and more physical on the defensive side of the ball is the organization’s top priority. Being that type of defense plays to his strengths.”

I sarcastically informed Florence via Twitter Thursday evening of my offer to wager a bucket of chicken wings that Buddy lands him on day one of free agency. In what should be a major clue to everyone of what’s to come, Florence responded by writing “no bet my agent already told me the plan but we can eat at the big tree and discuss the new direction of bills nation.”

I like my wings medium-hot, big guy.

As we reported earlier this month, other than finding a veteran quarterback the Bills will use free agency primarily as a vehicle to re-sign and extend their own talent as opposed to a spending spree on players from other teams. The team will also work hard to bring Paul Posluszny back. Fellow free agent to-be Donte Whitner will move on to another team.

Florence, who signed with Buffalo in 2009, thought his days in Buffalo were over after the Bills used a second-round pick in April to select cornerback Aaron Williams. Turns out, he may have reacted in haste at the time. I’m told in no uncertain terms the tabbing of Williams had nothing to do with Nix’s lack of desire to re-sign Florence, who has four interceptions and a pair of defensive touchdowns during his two-year Buffalo tenure.

Of course, both sides would have to come to an agreement for a deal to happen, and Florence would be foolish to not listen to other offers. But barring something unexpected, Florence will be back in the fold for Buffalo in 2011 and beyond.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Source: Expect Florence Back With Buffalo Bills

Buddy said this publicly earlier

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Blame Canada
    Buddy said this publicly earlier
    That Florence was going to re-sign with the Bills? To my knowledge, he said he'd still like to have him back in his post-draft presser.

BTW, where ya been man. I love reading up on your scoops.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No huge shock, but also a little bit of a head scratcher.

Williams must be a S for us, just dont see him as a SS which is a slight issue.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy

I don't think so (Williams). I think Williams is going to be the corner, a slot corner with Florence and McKelvin on the outside and Corner the fourth guy.

I think this means McGee is in big trouble.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy

BTW, good luck with the site. I'll definitely promote ya guys, looking forward to reading it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If there is a "cap floor", the Bills will have HAVE to spend a ton of cash. I expect him and Poz back.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Slim
    If there is a "cap floor", the Bills will have HAVE to spend a ton of cash. I expect him and Poz back.
    You can expect him back (and Poz) regardless.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by patmoran2006
    I don't think so (Williams). I think Williams is going to be the corner, a slot corner with Florence and McKelvin on the outside and Corner the fourth guy.

Also means you took a guy in Round 7 who arguably has the best ball hawking skills of any of our current CB's but won't see the field due to way too much depth.

Williams is a better fit at FS overall, his hips aren't good enough for NFL caliber CB, imo. But we have Byrd at FS, at least for now.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

BTW, good luck with the site. I'll definitely promote ya guys, looking forward to reading it.
    Appreciate it, Ill have a bigger announcement on Monday when we launch. Going to be a lot of fun. We'll have to do some co-op work if we can make it work.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm thinking the same.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That Florence was going to re-sign with the Bills? To my knowledge, he said he'd still like to have him back in his post-draft presser.

BTW, where ya been man. I love reading up on your scoops.
    I guess we didn't know draytonflorence would resign but it was made clear that the bills want him back.

I haven't been around here much because I haven't had a lot to share with this lockout. I'm sure once free agency starts I'll hear some tidbits and try to share with you guys.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Slim
    Why do Bills fans believe this?

The bills have to sign FLorence, Poz, rookies, extend Stevie Johnson, maybe even get Fitz locked up to decent deal where he can be either the starter or the backup of the future.

After that the Bills will be well over the floor. They dont have that far to go as it is.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I have no doubt this is right and have felt all along he would at least e given a fair offer to return, but I do have a question regarding your report. And, please, don't take this as a "doubt" or criticism of what you wrote, but.......

the quote you have from your source doesn't really say anything about expecting him to resign with the team, or even for the team to make an offer, for that matter. And I do agree his tweet back to you insinuates he himself expects to at least get an offer. But this quote just states that Flo fits what they've been building so far. It reads as if it's just another person in the media speculating he'll be back based upon what he could provide to the team:

“He’s a strong, physical corner that is an asset not just in the passing game but against the run,” the source said. “As you can tell by the guys (the Bills) drafted, being stronger and more physical on the defensive side of the ball is the organization’s top priority. Being that type of defense plays to his strengths.”
    I've had the same conversations with others in the media over the past couple months. So, like I said, it makes sense and I have no doubt they will attempt to resign him. But my question is is there an actual source from inside either the Bills or Flo's camp that told you to expect him to be back? If so, awesome! But this quote above really didn't say that to me and I'd like to know myself. I like Flo a lot and would love to have him back.
    Last edited by Coach Sal; 07-15-2011 at 12:11 AM.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by theanswer74
    Why do Bills fans believe this?

The bills have to sign FLorence, Poz, rookies, extend Stevie Johnson, maybe even get Fitz locked up to decent deal where he can be either the starter or the backup of the future.

After that the Bills will be well over the floor. They dont have that far to go as it is.
    Dude, there are plenty of reasons why I "believe this", and the Bills should absolutely hold their cash on Stevie and Fitz for now. Unless Stevie is willing to sign a conservative deal. Flo and Poz MIGHT cost the Bill's 8-10 million this season. So the Bills would have to spend some more money.

As far as Stevie goes, he's a decent kid. I grew up around professional athletes, a lot of people on the board know this. My brother owns a wealth management firm and a lot his clients are athletes. One of them is Syracuse's own Mike Williams, who despite having "red flags" out of Syracuse, is a good kid. He's still a massive Bills fan by the way. In Tampa, the player who got the game-ball the previous week get's to choose what games are played in the locker room the following week, and multiple times last here he pissed off the Bucs locker room by having them put the Bills game on. Any way, he went out with Stevie a few weeks ago and told me he'll never do it again, and that the majority of Stevie's friends are gang affiliated. And while Stevie is a nice kid, and he's never been in trouble, I'd hold off until after the season starts to even start talking contract with him. Trust me on this.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

McGee should have been giving his walking papers the day we switched from a Cover2 base to the 3-4. Good zone corner, not so good man corner.

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm fine with it. But if he wants to be our starter I want those penalties to come way down. He was a penalty machine last year.

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Williams + Florence may make McKelvin expendable... anyone smell trade possibilities?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Good news. I love McGee but he just can't stay healthy anymore.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era
    Williams + Florence may make McKelvin expendable... anyone smell trade possibilities?
    I would rather trade McGee than McKelvin myself. McKelvin is much younger & has more upside than McGee.