• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Re: BoB Power Rankings

OK, I think I have a fair, yet unbiased way to do a "Hotness Ranking" and incorporate it into the formula I currently have... The catch is, I would need the help of at least 4 people. If more people want to participate, that's fine, but I need at least 4, because I need 5 voters (4 others, plus myself).

The good news would be: Your first vote would likely be the most difficult/time consuming. People who play daily are ideal as voters, since they could adjust their rankings daily, following every auction. Obviously, if you think one players' team is hotter than another players' and neither have changes to their cards in a given week, I don't see why they would change in your "poll." After your first vote, the only changes you would have to make would be based on changes made throughout the week (additions by winning auctions, trades, free agents, etc).

Assuming we can get 4 others to agree to vote weekly, here's what I'm thinking:

Each week (I'm thinking Friday, following the day's auction), voters rank players from first to worst (right now, worst would be 31). First team gets 1 point, 2nd gets 2 and so on, based on team hotness.

After all votes are in, each team would have 5 scores. I'll remove the best and worst score for each player, to ensure fairness. Then, I'll add the remaining three scores for each player for a total.

The lowest total score would be ranked #1 for team hotness, 2nd would be #2 and so on.

This would fit in pretty easily with the formula I already have, as we'd then weigh the hotness rank, then add it to the other three ranks (CardRank, CapRank and AvgRank) and divide by 4 for a score.

The only question I have would be... How much weight should the Hotness Rank get? Since the ultimate goal of the game is to have the hottest team, obviously, it has to be higher than the 2.25 weight given to the number of cards...

Personally, I'm thinking the hotness weight should be 3. That would mean, everyone's score would be comprised of the following:

CapRank
    AvgRank
    CardRank (x2.25)
    HottyRank (x3)

The first question, obviously is, how many are willing to participate weekly in voting?

If people aren't willing to vote, there's not really much sense in exploring this option further.

-Bill
    Last edited by BLeonard; 08-28-2011, 12:39 AM.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
      • Mar 2004

Hotness ratings are purely subjective. Sweeten last? Come on. I'd put her hotter than at least half the chicks.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Theoretically speaking...

If I were to win the next auction for 48,000 how would that specifically affect my ranking? How many spots would I move up or down?
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• TacklingDummy
          Unreachable Douche
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
          Hotness ratings are purely subjective. Sweeten last? Come on. I'd put her hotter than at least half the chicks.
          The bottom 10 are interchangeable.

Same with the top 10.

Who's your Top and Bottom 10 from the list of 65?
          Last edited by TacklingDummy; 08-28-2011, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• BLeonard
            BoB Sabermetrician
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by YardRat
            Theoretically speaking...

If I were to win the next auction for 48,000 how would that specifically affect my ranking? How many spots would I move up or down?
            As the formula stands now, you'd be 11th.

-Bill

Comment

• BLeonard
              BoB Sabermetrician
              • Jan 2003

That's why I haven't included a hotness factor as of yet. If I had, I would have only been able to use my own judgment in determining hotness.

On something as subjective as "hotness," an opinion of one just isn't good enough.

-Bill

Comment

• Novacane
                • Jul 2002

Take away those huge mams and she's a bow wow.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Novacane
                  Take away those huge mams and she's a bow wow.
                  Her and half the broads that were auctioned.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by BLeonard
                    That's why I haven't included a hotness factor as of yet. If I had, I would have only been able to use my own judgment in determining hotness.

On something as subjective as "hotness," an opinion of one just isn't good enough.

-Bill
                    OK, I think I might have something that'll work...

HOTNESS-For regular auctions only, the average bid placed exclusive of the obvious outliers (the high and low bids), then ranked accordingly.

HOTNESS FACTOR-For Flash Auctions-Determine a multiplier (%) based on regular auctions' cumulative winning bids and cumulative average bid. There is a large enough sample size that the multiplier could be determined at this point and applied for the rest of the game and still be accurate enough to be fair. For example, assume the total of all winning bids is 100k, and the total of all average bids is 60k, the 'hotness factor' would be 60%. Any flash auction winning bid would then be multiplied by the .60 and placed into the rankings accordingly.

Hotness has already been determined by the amount of the player's bids, and flash auctions would be weighted accordingly by the multiplier to account for any discrepancies in the format.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• BLeonard
                      BoB Sabermetrician
                      • Jan 2003

OK, I think I might have something that'll work...

HOTNESS-For regular auctions only, the average bid placed exclusive of the obvious outliers (the high and low bids), then ranked accordingly.

HOTNESS FACTOR-For Flash Auctions-Determine a multiplier (%) based on regular auctions' cumulative winning bids and cumulative average bid. There is a large enough sample size that the multiplier could be determined at this point and applied for the rest of the game and still be accurate enough to be fair. For example, assume the total of all winning bids is 100k, and the total of all average bids is 60k, the 'hotness factor' would be 60%. Any flash auction winning bid would then be multiplied by the .60 and placed into the rankings accordingly.

Hotness has already been determined by the amount of the player's bids, and flash auctions would be weighted accordingly by the multiplier to account for any discrepancies in the format.

OK, see, Yardie... I'm a certified nerd and you managed to confuse the hell out of me... But, some issues I can see would be if someone missed an auction and "would have bid more." Also, keep in mind that the first auctions were limited to 5 players and under different cap rules. On top of that, there were a lot less people that knew about the game when it started... That doesn't necessarily mean a girl that went early in the game was "less hot," it just means less people knew about the game, creating less bids, which most likey would lower the average.

The only way I see getting a true, individual hotness factor, would be to have people rank each girl, in order, each week. That's a LOT of work and I'd bet people would get disinterested in ranking as the number of girls to rank gets higher.

Also, since every other ranking is based on teams (with each user being his own "team") it makes sense that the hotness ranking should follow the same idea. After all, the goal is to have the best stable of girls in the end.

I posted this on the first page and I still think it's the fairest way to get an unbiased ranking: http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...7&postcount=16

Like I said in the post, I'd need 4 others minimum to commit to ranking teams weekly to make it happen.

-Bill
                      Last edited by BLeonard; 08-29-2011, 08:32 AM.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                        Too sober for this...
                        • Apr 2004

I think, in taking in account the scoring, you should also consider the paid amount in the card vs the average bid on the card - so people that overpay extensively get dinged on score, but people who win in a close match up get hit much less so.

Comment

• Historian
                          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                          • Dec 2002

I'm 16!!!!

My Mom will be so proud!!!

Comment

• BLeonard
                            BoB Sabermetrician
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                            I think, in taking in account the scoring, you should also consider the paid amount in the card vs the average bid on the card - so people that overpay extensively get dinged on score, but people who win in a close match up get hit much less so.
                            I've thought about taking the margin of victory into effect when coming up with a "hotness score," meaning cards with less margin of victory being "hotter," but, I'm gonna just pull two cards out and show you why that won't work:

Originally posted by King Bedard
                            41,500 WINNER BLeonard!
                            Margin of victory: $1375
                            Total Bids: 11

Originally posted by King Bedard
                            110,201 WINNER SabreEleven
                            Margin of victory: $35,201
                            Total bids: 13

In thse two instances the bids are close (13 to 11). But, the margin of victory is very different. If I'm understanding you right, card #1 should be considered "hotter," because the margin of victory is considerably smaller.

Card 1: Jamie Chung
                            Card 2: Miranda Kerr

I own Jamie Chung, but I don't think people would say she's hotter than Miranda Kerr.

Keep in mind, if any of those bid totals are incorrect or missing, it throws everythng off as well. Keep in mind, this is comparing 2 cards... We'd have to find a way to accurately judge EVERY CARD... As I said before, with some bids in areas missing, some might be incorrect and the fact that less people bid on cards in the early game, I just don't see that sort of formula holding true for EVERY card.

Again, that's not even taking into account situations where a bidder would have bid more, if they were aware of the auction. I likley would have bid more for Jaime Pressly, but she was a flash auction and I missed it... That would throw that card off right there and I'm one of the players that doesn't miss auctions too often. Actually, she's the ONLY one that I can recall missing since I started playing. On top of that, I didn't have a shot at the first 5 cards (beta) and I didn't start playing until the end of June, as I didn't have enough cash to really compete.

I'm using myself as an example, because I know when I started paying and whih cards I missed (or had no chance at, due to funds). That doesn't mean that the girl that I couldn't bid on wasn't hot, though.

In short: There are way too many factors that could potentially skew bids and number of bids on a given card to really accurately come up with a hotness factor that works for every card. Chances are, close to the end of the year, as people get closer to the cap, the bids will skew lower as well. Doesn't mean the girl isn't hot... It means peple can only bid so much.

-Bill
                            Last edited by BLeonard; 08-29-2011, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

That's why you throw out the high and low bids.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                                Unreachable Douche
                                • Jul 2002

That's why you throw out the high and low bids.

Don't be throwing my $69 out.

Comment

Working...
                                X