Thread: NFL Hall of Famer Selmon dies

Thanks
    Thanked 17,695 Times in 8,478 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

NFL Hall of Famer Selmon dies

Hall of Fame defensive lineman Lee Roy Selmon died Sunday, aged 56, two days after suffering a stroke, his family confirmed.Selmon, the lone Tampa Bay Buccaneers representative in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, was admitted to the hospital Friday afternoon after suffering the stroke in his Tampa home, Tampabay.com reported.

His brother, Dewey Selmon, said Saturday that Lee Roy had showed signs of improvement, but his family released a statement Sunday confirming the death.

"It is with very heavy hearts that the Selmon Family announces the passing of our beloved husband, father and brother, Lee Roy Selmon. Lee Roy passed away today [Sunday] surrounded by family and friends at St. Joseph's Hospital," the statement read.

"For all his accomplishments on and off the field, to us Lee Roy was the rock of our family. This has been a sudden and shocking event and we are devastated by this unexpected loss. We deeply appreciate the prayers and support shown by family, friends, the football community and the public over the past two days."
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/L...ive-end-090411
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: NFL Hall of Famer Selmon dies

One of the best ever . maybe the original "beast "
    R.I.P. Lee Roy ..thanks !

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "

Thanks
    Thanked 30,617 Times in 17,484 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bummer.

The Selmons were the face of the Tampa Bay franchise when the team first came into the league.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Wow, I had heard a report he was doing better yesterday to :/ Leroy continued to be a celebrity in the Tampa Bay area long after his playing days. His restaurants are well know and an Expressway bares his name.

I was lucky enough to see him play on numerous occasions. He was a great player and an even better human being. Im sad to see him go. RIP Leroy, I hope they name even more things after him in Tampa. He deserves it :)
    The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.