Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Fitz the answer?

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Is Fitz the answer?

This is maybe the single biggest issue with the Bills long term; finding a QB who can take us to the playoffs and SB.

The question has been raised over and over. But, to me this is the decision year. Fitz is a UFA after this year, meaning we have to make a decision on whether we want him as our long term starter one way or another. And because the decision can mean so much to the team success, it becomes a huge potential issue for the Bills.

If I were to look at Fitz based on last year I would have to say that he is not the long term solution. But, he has this year to step up into that role. He has the whole year to get it done. As a Bills fan, I want the long term solution as soon as possible. If that can be Fitz, I will be just fine with that. But, he has to show he can be that guy.

It's and exciting year with hopes of stepping up to the next level. And Fitz is a major part of that. It will be interesting to see if Fitz can become all we need.

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,943 Times in 4,386 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Is Fitz the answer?

Long term? No.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,676 Times in 17,518 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We'll find out.

Depends more on the rest of the team than it does one position, actually.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 26,407 Times in 13,792 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Define "answer."

Is he the superstar QB that can lead this team to the Promised Land a la Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady? Absolutely not.

Is the the "caretaker" QB that could get us a SB win with the right pieces around him, like Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson etc?

Probably, but that would require the team committing to putting the right pieces around him, and I don't ever see Ralph doing that.

Of course, I don't see Ralph finding a superstar QB or paying one if he does happen to find one, so it's a catch-22.

Registered User Extremebillsfan247's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He isn't a long term answer. However, he is just about to reach the prime of his career as a QB. The Bills potentially could get a very nice 2 to 3 year ride out of him. After that, they will need a QB in place to replace him. JMO

Thanks
    Thanked 1,509 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    Define "answer."

Is he the superstar QB that can lead this team to the Promised Land a la Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady? Absolutely not.

Is the the "caretaker" QB that could get us a SB win with the right pieces around him, like Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson etc?

Probably, but that would require the team committing to putting the right pieces around him, and I don't ever see Ralph doing that.

Of course, I don't see Ralph finding a superstar QB or paying one if he does happen to find one, so it's a catch-22.
    OP I'm in the realist camp with you, but even so I gotta ask, why must you piz in everyone's cheerios on opening day?

Now go find your beer helmet!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Define "answer."

Answer to me means he is the guy who does his job to a level that does not prevent the team from reaching the playoffs or SB.

I have been and am now worried that Fitz may become a limiting factor that may prevent this team from making a playoff or SB run.

For me, he is the answer if he doesn't keep us from the playoffs or if he's a reason we go there.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era
    Answer to me means he is the guy who does his job to a level that does not prevent the team from reaching the playoffs or SB.

I have been and am now worried that Fitz may become a limiting factor that may prevent this team from making a playoff or SB run.

For me, he is the answer if he doesn't keep us from the playoffs or if he's a reason we go there.
    if that's your definition, then I think he could be the answer. He's not the guy that's going to win us games, but he's not the guy that's going to lose us games either.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

if that's your definition, then I think he could be the answer. He's not the guy that's going to win us games, but he's not the guy that's going to lose us games either.
    I will conceed that I think he's closer than I used to. But, I actually think he needs to do both. He needs to win us a few games and then not be the reason we lose.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And honestly, right now this team has so many bigger problems than Fitz. I'd like to see us do better than Fitz, but I also think we have some much more pressing concerns. Unless someone like Luck falls into our laps, I wouldn't mind sticking it out with Fitz for a year or two while we fix the OL and DB's.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think Fitzpatrick could be a good enough QB to get this team to a post season. But, they wouldn't get very far once there. He makes too many mistakes at crucial times in big games. That kind of thing would kill a team in the playoffs. JMO

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And honestly, right now this team has so many bigger problems than Fitz. I'd like to see us do better than Fitz, but I also think we have some much more pressing concerns. Unless someone like Luck falls into our laps, I wouldn't mind sticking it out with Fitz for a year or two while we fix the OL and DB's.
    I really don't agree. The OL is the next biggest issue but is easier to fix. JMO.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Extremebillsfan247
    I think Fitzpatrick could be a good enough QB to get this team to a post season. But, they wouldn't get very far once there. He makes too many mistakes at crucial times in big games. That kind of thing would kill a team in the playoffs. JMO
    And to follow that train of thought, he would then not be the real answer. The goal is to win a SB. But yes, the playoffs would be nice.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Fitz isn't the correct answer, but he's a competent answer.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by G Wolly
    Fitz isn't the correct answer, but he's a competent answer.
    Competent answer? He's capable of starting in the NFL? OK. Maybe you meant to say current answer.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I really don't agree. The OL is the next biggest issue but is easier to fix. JMO.
    I don't think we should bother finding a new QB until our OL is competent.

Otherwise, we're just going to get the QB shell-shocked like we did to Losman and Edwards.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Competent answer? He's capable of starting in the NFL? OK. Maybe you meant to say current answer.
    Competent in terms of, if he has the necessary tools to work with, he can thrive.

But HE alone won't make that difference.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,509 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

X man, get off the fence. You hedge more than a ****en hedgehog.

Just say Fitz is NOT the long term answer period, INYO. It's ok, you're allowed to have a STRONG opinion.

I have ZERO doubt that Fitz is not the long term answer, and fully expect that we will be drafting his heir apparent in April 2012. But for now he's all we got, so saddle up cause we're gonna ride that Amish train til it goes off the tracks.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And to follow that train of thought, he would then not be the real answer. The goal is to win a SB. But yes, the playoffs would be nice.
    Of course the Ravens won a Super Bowl with Dilfer as a QB. Having a great QB is always nice, but you need a good team around him to win it all. No one probably knows that better than Philip Rivers. JMO

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max
    X man, get off the fence. You hedge more than a ****en hedgehog.

Just say Fitz is NOT the long term answer period, INYO. It's ok, you're allowed to have a STRONG opinion.

I have ZERO doubt that Fitz is not the long term answer, and fully expect that we will be drafting his heir apparent in April 2012. But for now he's all we got, so saddle up cause we're gonna ride that Amish train til it goes off the tracks.
    To do so would be claiming I can predict the future.

No. I'm going to give him this year. Because the truth is we have no other choice and since the team is better, he may end up playing better. That's the whole argument right? That Fizt will be all we need when the team around him is adequate. Well, the team is going to be better so shouldn't we then expect Fitz to be better also? That's at the heart of what I was saying about him being a limiting factor. If the team gets good enough for the playoffa but Fitz holds us back, we need an upgrade.