• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

It's only been one game, people

To be fair, I think that while most of this board is excited about the win, most of us have also taken the "cautiously optimistic" approach and are trying not to read too much into one good win. I don't see too many people buying their SB tickets just yet. Generally, everyone seems to be taking a reasonable approach.

However, when it comes to smaller issues, people seem to lose sight of the "it's only one game" concept. Here are a couple that caught my eye:

-Lee Evans had 0 catches
    -Our O did fine without Evans
    -Run D is now our "forte"
    -Gailey can use TE's.

All of these things happened ONCE. That's it. And just like the team in general, it's too early to draw conclusions.

All of these things are positive for us, and hopefully they will continue. But let's not pretend these problems have been solved because we pulled it off one time.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • mayotm
    • Jul 2003

Re: It's only been one game, people

I agree with this. However, Evans lack of production is becoming a trend. He hasn't been real productive for a few seasons. I still think he'll help the Ravens some, but as I stated after the trade, I don't think the Bills will have a difficult time replacing his production. I'm certainly not going to cheer against Lee just so I can say "I told you so", but not expecting him to put up big numbers in Baltimore.

Comment

• hydro
      • Oct 2005

Never get too high with the highs or too low with the lows. Stay on a even keel.
      BERNIAC!

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by OpIv37
        To be fair, I think that while most of this board is excited about the win, most of us have also taken the "cautiously optimistic" approach and are trying not to read too much into one good win. I don't see too many people buying their SB tickets just yet. Generally, everyone seems to be taking a reasonable approach.

However, when it comes to smaller issues, people seem to lose sight of the "it's only one game" concept. Here are a couple that caught my eye:

-Lee Evans had 0 catches
        -Our O did fine without Evans
        -Run D is now our "forte"
        -Gailey can use TE's.

All of these things happened ONCE. That's it. And just like the team in general, it's too early to draw conclusions.

All of these things are positive for us, and hopefully they will continue. But let's not pretend these problems have been solved because we pulled it off one time.
        Way to rain on the parade OP. You couldn't have waited until next week?

Comment

• Ed
          Dude
          • Sep 2002

And when we lose a game or play poorly I can only assume that you'll make a new thread telling us not to worry. It's only one game.

Comment

• The King
            Without me it's just Awe so
            • Jun 2004

I think we've all earned a high... personally.
            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
            It was all
            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
            He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
            mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
              • Jul 2003

You mean, Tom Brady isn't going to throw for over 8,000 yards?

As Ron Jaworski would say, no ****.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Ed
                And when we lose a game or play poorly I can only assume that you'll make a new thread telling us not to worry. It's only one game.
                it depends how it goes.

Like mayotm said, Lee Evans having low production is the continuation of a trend, so maybe that one is correct.

The other things on my list are all things that happened once.

If we lose and, say, Kyle Williams, has a bad game, then I'm not going to come on here and say Kyle Williams sucks. Good players sometimes have bad games.

But, if a player like CJ Spiller or Leodis McKelvin has a bad game, then I'll come on here and say they suck. Why? Because it's the continuation of a trend. It's a recurring situation that never gets any better.

If we lose because a couple of good players have bad games and we make some stupid mistakes, then maybe a "don't worry" thread is in order. If we lose because our run D sucks, our tackles can't block **** and our unproven WR's don't show up, then it's time to worry because it means the Chiefs game was probably an anomaly.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

let the fans enjoy the win and let the coaches realize it's just one game just like Gailey says on bb.com

It's not like people here are talking sb. Not even playoffs.
                  Last edited by justasportsfan; 09-13-2011, 09:35 AM.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mahdi
                    • Mar 2004

I would add the performances of Chandler and Bell to the "only one game" caution.

Other thing we have to realize is that we didn't have a very strong pass rush and against a better QB we might not be as stingy on defense. We need some production from the outside rushers.

Comment

• mikemac2001
                      is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                      • Mar 2003

I do agree its one game

But it was a ****ing awesome game

It's really nice to be on the other side seeing fans ***** and leave

MUCK
                      FIAMI

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                        let the fans enjoy the win and let the coaches realize it's just one game just like Gailey says on bb.com

It's not like people here are talking sb. Not even playoffs.
                        I'm not saying people should enjoy the win. Of course we should enjoy the win.

Let's just not talk like our problems have been solved because it's simply too soon to tell.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ChristopherWalken
                          • Dec 2002

Agreed. Cautiously optimistic....

I'm sure everyone remember the Bills beating the Patriots 31-0 1st game of the season in 2003? The Bills then went on to week two to destroy the Jags 38-17 uping themselves to a 2-0 start -

ONLY to tank 6 of the last 9 games in the season.

I'm stoked they beat the Cheifs! And I really, really, really want to celebrate and buy into the hype...but this IS the Bills we are talking about here.

I have been watching this team for 28+ years and just when things look like they're getting better, they suddenly find a way to make things a bit worse.

I will remain cautiously optimistic even if they decisively beat the Raiders next week.

I will only emerge from my protective shell if one of two things happen to this team in week 3:

A) They beat the Patriots
                          or
                          B) They lose but only after playing a really hard fought game without the typical shooting themselves in the foot mistakes that seem to surface when playing New England.
                          Last edited by ChristopherWalken; 09-13-2011, 09:47 AM.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                            I'm not saying people should enjoy the win. Of course we should enjoy the win.

Let's just not talk like our problems have been solved because it's simply too soon to tell.
                            If we didn't realize we had problems then we'd be talking playoffs no?

The celebration for this win will last longer than most wins unless we beat the pats because it's been a while since we won a very impressive game at the start of the season. Let it be.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Bangarang
                              • Sep 2010

I knew there was too much damn happiness going on around here. Thankfully, we have people here to keep things in perspective.

/sarcasm

Comment

Working...
                              X