Bills talking to Fitz about a contract? Johnson to get Franchised?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THRILLHO
    This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
    • Feb 2009

Re: Bills talking to Fitz about a contract? Johnson to get Franchised?

Originally posted by BillsWin
    Just pay them. We aren't hurting for money and if we really are building for the future, you have to pay your own players. If you keep letting them go and then trying to find their replacements through the draft you will keep spinning in circles.
    Yep. People here complain that Ralph is too cheap (which he is) but then they complain that we over paid a player or two. Franchise Stevie. He may not be "worth" the tag price, but he's the best we have and its not like someone better is going to fall into our laps.
    True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Comment

• Mike
      • Jan 2009

You're right if you're comparing a six figure contract to a low seven figure contract.. or even low seven figure for high seven figure.. but once you get to eight figure contacts, that goes out the window. They can take care of their families forever with that kind of money. And at that point, what's best for the family shifts to other questions, like where their families are, where their friends are, where the schools are.
      I don't think you are thinking the full financial implications thoroughly. Remember that guys that make 8figures live like it & invest like it. Vick had a $100million dollar contract and had to file bankruptcy! Take that a step further, and you will see that MOST NFL (over 65%) players go broke after their NFL years (on average 3yrs). So two major issues here: 1. Many of these guys don't know how to handle money, 2. No matter how much you are making, if you get the rug pulled out underneath you and loose your income, you will still be in a situation where you have many liabilities and no cash flow. This is how a Donald Trump goes in Debt Billions of Dollars and has to file Bankruptcy, which he did!
      Please Make Sense

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Fitz will probably be the next to sign.

Freddie shouldn't be far behind, but I have to admit I agree with Beebe...I could see the Bills blowing that considering his age and their man-love for Spiller. That would piss me off.

If any comments regarding Stevie being franchised have any truth to them, that would be a pretty clear indicator to me that any hold up in talks is coming from his and his agent's end and not the front office.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BillsWin
          man amongst boys
          • Oct 2008

I would think the order goes Fitz-Fred-Stevie with Stevie demanding the most money. But that's just my uneducated guess.
          I am The Batman.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by BillsWin
            I would think the order goes Fitz-Fred-Stevie with Stevie demanding the most money. But that's just my uneducated guess.
            Is your new avatar Lecter before he had eye surgery?
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BillsWin
              man amongst boys
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by YardRat
              Is your new avatar Lecter before he had eye surgery?
              Is it THAT obvious!?
              I am The Batman.

Comment

• ddaryl
                Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi
                Why should he give the Bills a discount? Did Larry Fitz do that? Will Calvin do that?

Stevie should ask for every penny he can get, and the Bills should give it to him.
                Because he wants to win championships.. and screw that every penny BS... if that's the way YOU feel then fine... championship teams require a bit of shared sacrifice IMO... It comes down to whether Steve truly trusts Nix, Gailey and the Bills vision

if he takes $15 mil a season you are cutting 2-3 maybe even 4 guys and replacing them with cheaper options... and one of those guys is definitely going to be a player you are going to scream about when they let him go.

We have Fitz, Jackson, and a few more players that are also going to want some money too.

I also feel strongly that Johnson... like Kyle Williams will take a little bit less to stay here,. It will be a fair contracts that both sides can work with IMO... If 'm wrong well then I am and I form a slightly different opinion about S. Johnson.
                Last edited by ddaryl; 09-14-2011, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• X-Era
                  What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter
                  According to Jeremy White's twitter both are under consideration
                  On Fitz, he should show he's worth starting QB money before he get's paid. That said, if he ends up even top 10 - top 15 as a starting QB, he should be paid what he is worth... But we are talking about 10 mill per... Matt Cassel money is probably about right (6 years 63 mill). That is a lot of money for Fitz. He has to show he's the guy that will not keep us from the playoffs... that he can take us there, not keep us from it.

On Stevie, he only needs to show he hasn't digressed to earn a new contract. If we franchise him is the move we make to keep him I'd be glad that we did what it took to keep him but disappointed that we are paying 12 mill for the tag instead of 7 or 8 mill per in a new contract.
                  Last edited by X-Era; 09-14-2011, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• Stewie
                    Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                    • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Mike
                    I don't think you are thinking the full financial implications thoroughly. Remember that guys that make 8figures live like it & invest like it. Vick had a $100million dollar contract and had to file bankruptcy! Take that a step further, and you will see that MOST NFL (over 65%) players go broke after their NFL years (on average 3yrs). So two major issues here: 1. Many of these guys don't know how to handle money, 2. No matter how much you are making, if you get the rug pulled out underneath you and loose your income, you will still be in a situation where you have many liabilities and no cash flow. This is how a Donald Trump goes in Debt Billions of Dollars and has to file Bankruptcy, which he did!
                    If someone who gets an eight figure contract doesn't have enough money to support theirfamily, it's because they ****ed up. And, holding out for an extra two million isn't going to prevent that from happening, so I don't see the point.
                    Originally posted by Topdog
                    Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                    Originally posted by mercyrule
                    I love Weiner.
                    Originally posted by mercyrule
                    also cheese

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Screw hometown discounts, get every penny you can when you can. You only have a finite amount of time to earn that kind of money and one cut/hit/mistep and its all over.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Stewie
                        If someone who gets an eight figure contract doesn't have enough money to support theirfamily, it's because they ****ed up. And, holding out for an extra two million isn't going to prevent that from happening, so I don't see the point.
                        Well, there have been a number of players that thought they were taking care of business, but they trusted the wrong people & lost their money through bad investments or outright fraud.

I think Fitz is smart enough to handle his own affairs, Stevie not so much.

Comment

• madness
                          • Apr 2003

Bills looking to extend Fitzpatrick
                          Paul Hamilton

Orchard Park, NY (WGR 550) -- Sources have told WGR Sports Radio 550 that the Bills have begun negotiations to extend Ryan Fitzpatrick's contract. Nothing is going to be signed by the quarterback right away, but the two sides are talking.

We have also learned that the Bills have not spoken to Roscoe Parrish's agent about an extension and are not looking to at this time.

UPDATE:
                          Speaking with WGR's Joe Buscaglia on Thursday, Fitzpatrick commented on the matter:

"I'm focused on playing, that's all I can focus on right now. Whether it comes or not, that's for the team and my agent to deal with. For me, all my focus and efforts are going in to beating the Raiders."

Western New York’s number one source for daily sports talk and play-by-play as the flagship station of the Bills and Sabres. Stream, read and download WGR 550 AM from any device on Audacy

Comment

• psubills62
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2008

Paul Hamilton also says that the "talks continue" with Steve Johnson.

"Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

Working...
                            X