• Show
Clear All
  • Johnny Bugmenot
    Will not tolerate vandalism.
    • Apr 2006

TBN: Wilson wants talks on stadium lease

Wilson wants talks on stadium lease
    by Tim Graham and Mark Gaughan

Ralph C. Wilson Jr. doesn't want a Taj Mahal for his Buffalo Bills. He's not interested in the field-level patios, martini lounges or nightclub suites that can be found in other AFC East stadiums.

The Bills owner told The Buffalo News he's ready to extend the team's lease agreement with Erie County if fundamental improvements can be made to the 38-year-old stadium that bears his name.

"I'm willing to sign a lease that will keep the team there and keep the team competitive," Wilson said in a phone interview late last week. "We're not looking to have a palace, just a football stadium.
    The Buffalo News
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: TBN: Wilson wants talks on stadium lease

The good news is, Ralph still knows he owns a football team, and that it leases a stadium from Erie County.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
      • May 2003

Bend over Erie County.

Comment

• ddaryl
        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
        Bend over Erie County.

how much revenue do the Bills bring that offset the money that is placed into the stadium..

I'll bet the farm that Erie County at the worst breaks even from their investment

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by ddaryl
          how much revenue do the Bills bring that offset the money that is placed into the stadium..

I'll bet the farm that Erie County at the worst breaks even from their investment
          Collins claimed his office's research showed the Bills provided the state with $20 million in direct revenues each year, mainly from taxes on payroll and ticket sales.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Don't Panic
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Dec 2005

In the article Collins said $20 million a year.

What I found interesting were Wilson's comments about improvements. He seems to have big ideas. I really hope he's willing to put some of his own money in if the plans are really ambitious.

Comment

• ddaryl
              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Don't Panic

What I found interesting were Wilson's comments about improvements. He seems to have big ideas. I really hope he's willing to put some of his own money in if the plans are really ambitious.
              Over the years Ralph has never demanded huge investments into the stadium.. but he has pushed for modest improvements. I beleive he used his own money in the 90's to upgrade the video screen to a state of the art model at the time.

$20 million a year is decent coin.... SO if the upgrades happen ever 10 years that's
              $200 million..Guessing 1/2 that goes into the roads and such around the area, that could leave $100 million to be invested in the stadium itself....

then their is the whole benefit to local business angle that I'm not sure if it's figured into that $20 mil ###
              Last edited by ddaryl; 09-18-2011, 07:33 AM.

Comment

• BillsWin
                man amongst boys
                • Oct 2008

Hate to say it but I think Wilson is circling the drain and he's just now trying to leave something to Buffalo. A longterm lease would be a good start.
                I am The Batman.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                  • May 2003

How much are these stadium renovations going to cost, $100, 200, maybe 300 million? Arrowhead was renovated in 2010 for $375. How does the county make that up by the Bills generating $20 million a year?
                  Last edited by TheGhostofJimKelly; 09-18-2011, 08:29 AM.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
                    How much are these stadium renovations going to cost, $100, 200, maybe 300 million? Arrowhead was renovated in 2010 for $375. How does the county make that up by the Bills generating $20 million a year?
                    How? By charging the ticket holders. If there is, say a $10 surcharge per ticket, you can raise almost a half-billion in 10 years. Those who use the stadium ought to shoulder the lion's share of the costs.

PTR
                    10 Commandments of the D
                    1. Never stop Rocking.
                    2. Legalize all drugs.
                    3. Quit your day job.
                    4. All Religion should be taxed.
                    5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                    6. F**k her gently.
                    7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                    8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                    9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                    10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• Cleve
                      • Oct 2004

Ralph's hoping to get some free stuff from an already financially strapped New York State in order to bump his annual net profit up from $40 million to $41 million or whatever. Meanwhile, this should be a banner year for him since he's spending under the salary cap - probably break $50 million in profit.

Typical. All he does is take.
                      Last edited by Cleve; 09-18-2011, 09:54 AM.

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
                      per play average than the Bills' offense!

Comment

• buffalopowereye
                        • Sep 2009

By that logic, the bills should pay the lion's share if the cost. The reality is that the Bills are, at least to the eyes if people othe than the Wilsons, a community and state asset. We'll all have to chip in to keep the team - ticketholders and stakeholders such as the county and state alike.

Frankly, I am stunned that Collins has not been more proactive about this issue during an election year. I really hop Andy Cuomo doesnt use the Bills as a chip against Collins, too. AC has his eyes on a big white prize, and Collins is one if a few republicans who might cut AC's margin of victory in the next gov's race. Anyone with AC's ambitions is going to want to win that race with an exclamation point. That is, if course, unless Collins is not around next year ...

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by PromoTheRobot
                          How? By charging the ticket holders. If there is, say a $10 surcharge per ticket, you can raise almost a half-billion in 10 years. Those who use the stadium ought to shoulder the lion's share of the costs.

PTR
                          Wouldn't that be subject to the revenue sharing rules, or are surcharges exempt?
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• trapezeus
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

where are our tea party bills fans that hate government hand outs like health care and regulations that prevent fraud but are clamoring for NYS to simply pay the randsom?

i'm torn on this because i love the bills, but i truly hate that rich welfare is way head of people who really need the help.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Don't Panic

His plans don't sound all that ambitious to me. He said people go the the Stadium on Sunday to watch a football game, not eat a fancy dinner in a glitzy resturant.

I think he just wants basic improvements which will benefit the fans such as more & improved rest rooms.

Comment

Working...
                              X