• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Typ0
    honey pie
    • Jul 2002

Bigger Bonehead?

Bigger Bonehead?
    Telling the team they are out of it before getting slaughtered by a team they were ahead of that made the playoffs? Wade Phillips
    0%
    4th and 2 on the 32. Greg Williams.
    0%
  • 4thAndLong
    I'm Really 4 and Short
    • Sep 2002

it wasn't 4thAndLong.

You cant blame him.

Comment

• Marcos20
      • Oct 2002

4th and 2 ... without any doubt...
      Si me pueden entender:

"Aguante la Bersuit krajo , E-Moulds el WR +kpo

Comment

• Typ0
        honey pie
        • Jul 2002

I don't know without a doubt Phillips is winning by a landslide.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
          Legendary Zoner
          • Jul 2002

Where's Hank Bullough? There aren't many guys walking around dumber than Hank.

Comment

• BledsoeTOreedfor6
            • Jul 2002

No contest. Phillips told his team he had given up on the season.

GW just told his team he had given up on the game!

Still does not mean he is not an idiot!

Comment

• TigerJ
              • Jul 2002

Wade had his own episode of fourth and stupid in addition to his other gaffs. Wade has proven he's a good defensive coordinator, but a pitiful head coach. GW has made some mistakes, some of them pretty big, but overall, looks like he might learn how to be a decent head coach, IMHO.
              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                • Jul 2002

Tough call...

I went w/ GW's call. Who knows. Perhaps Wade was trying in his own demented way to incite the team. Doubtful, but you never know.
                Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Halbert
                  I'm Not Normal
                  • Jul 2002

I don't agree with the call but you can at least make some reasonable defense of it by considering what it would have looked like had Mooreman slipped one out at the 5 yard line. NE had a field position advantage all day and it might have helped turn the tide to give us a short field. A weak call that he probably won't make again but not completely unreasonable. Wade's comments were coaching sacrilege.

I'm happy to remain one of the extreme few that think GW is growing rapidly into the job and will be an excellent head coach. Gilbride as OC is terrific but I'm not sold yet on Gray. Give him an off-season of FA dollars and let's see what he can do next year before giving him the heave ho.

Comment

• Sabre Ally
                    • Jul 2002

I could have sworn when GW called that punt on the 4th and 2 that they were going to fake it........I almsot fell off the couch when he actually punted it.

Comment

• Typ0
                      honey pie
                      • Jul 2002

Halbert I understand that position but it doesn't make any sense when our defense has been horrible. If we had that top Titans defense Williams insists on reminding us of all the time it's the only way I can see any justification at all and even in that situation I still say punt. Our defense hadn't stopped NE all day not to mention all season so them starting at the 5 or 32 doesn't make a difference. Giving them the ball there like that they smell blood and put us away.

Phillips was sure demented wasn't he. What he did in the media was much more entertaining than most football games.

Comment

• Halbert
                        I'm Not Normal
                        • Jul 2002

Remember, I wasn't defending the decision, just pointing out how much less rediculous it was compared to Wade's abysmal judgment with the writing off the playoffs call. I completely agree with your analysis, but in reality GW's decision probably only sabotages a series or two (might not have made it). Wade sabotaged the remainder of the schedule.

And let's give Wade his due. He's taken a sow's ear defense in Atlanta and in one season is turning it into something resembling a silk purse. If I could swap him and Jerry I'd do it in a heartbeat.
                        Last edited by Halbert; 11-08-2002, 05:47 AM.

Comment

• RedEyE
                          • Jul 2002

...Wade - that was then, this is now. Since we are suppose to be better then we were then I'm going with the 4th and 2 selection. I believe Wade Philips would have even went for it on 4th and 2, or at the very least, made a FG attempt.

Comment

• Judge
                            • Aug 2002

Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6
                            No contest. Phillips told his team he had given up on the season.
                            Exactly- and that MNF game against the Colts was essentially a playoff game- the loser was for all intents and purposes eliminated, while the winner ultimately won a wild card spot, to my recollection.

RJ deserves an honorable mention for playing the worst game in the history of NFL quarterbacking in that game.
                            Argue like hell. Keep it clean. And when it's over, shake hands and root for our team!

Comment

• Ebenezer
                              Give me a minute...
                              • Jul 2002

If the punt lands at the one then few complain about the punt (I can't believe I agree with CP)...Wade bludgeoned a season where they could have made the playoffs.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

Working...
                              X