• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Bang or Bucks: Ultimate Team

A lot of good ideas have been passed along this week and I have developed the concept of our next game using quite a few of those ideas.

I do think I am going to incorporate a head to head portion of the game. With an element that FL brought up yesterday. To start 2012 if you're playing BorB you'll need to buy in. What does that mean. It means everyone clears their ZB's and starts at a predetermined figure. No one is getting a leg up on anyone, we all start on an level playing field.

Buying into the game will get you a starter pack of cards. 5 of them. In this deck will be 5 random cards. I'll try make sure each pack is fairly balanced but you'll see a variety of actresses models and musicians... each pack will be randomly assigned. You'll also received your set amount of ZB's for the game. You can use this for daily auctions or in our BorB store where I will have certain girls for sale.

Each week you'll face off against another team putting 3 of your girls head to head... . In number 1 spot, 2 spot and 3 spot each going against your opponents 1, 2 and 3. The only thing that will decide a winner will be how high the girl is trending. So someone like Lady gaga might not be the hottest chick but she'll probably be big winner in this game. An actress who has a movie coming out that weekend, or some model dating a famous athlete will all be things to consider. The only thing at stake in head to head match-ups is more cash. You win you get some extra money to play the game. You lose, nothing lost nothing gained.

This new head to head portion will add a little more strategy to your game. Instead of the "if I wait to bid prices will come down".
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• northernbillfan
    Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Re: Bang or Bucks: Ultimate Team

Sounds like a Poke-Babe card game like Pokemon.
    When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
      Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

1. It might not be so easy to get people to zero out their ZBs. You're assuming people use ZBs solely for the game, when ZBs can be used to buy other things, titles, etc. Maybe instead of ZBs we can set up a BoB Bucks system.

2. Who determines how high each player is trending? You? Vote? Yahoo?

3. The trend rating may not be fair to everyone. We as men all can judge who's hot and who's not just by looking at pictures. But not everyone is as up-to-date on showbiz trends, who's got movies coming out and who's dating whom. And most don't care. So to play this game means having to spend time catching up on celebrity news would be too much commitment for some, including myself, who probably couldn't care less about that stuff.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
        • Mar 2004

I'm not sure how difficult it is, but I'm sure you could admin a different ZB category for this game. Like, someone has 1492338747575 zbs and 200,000 bang bucks. Kind of like the bank.

Comment

• BLeonard
          BoB Sabermetrician
          • Jan 2003

I think, if you really want to have a head-to-head factor, they should be scored on something that is less subjective than trending.

The way you're explaining, if an actress has a movie come out, that would boost her "value." Well, what if the movie gets bad reviews?

You also mentioned her getting a "boost" if she's dating a famous athlete. What if the story that week is her and the athlete breaking up? Take Minka Kelly for example. Her trending probably went up when her and Jeter broke up, but in your proposed scoring, her value would go down, for breaking up with Jeter.

I think there needs to be a set value for a card. As cool as it would be to have a card value fluctuate, I don't think it's possible, because something construed as positive on one side could be construed as negative when looked at from a different angle.

But, if you really want a head to head factor, I think I have an answer. Call it the "Paper/Rock/Scissors" scoring system:

1: Each girl would be set into one of three categories: Actress, Musician or Athlete. Each category would have a different color border (so, red border for musicians, green for actress, blue for athlete).

2: Like paper/rock/scissors, Red would beat blue, blue would beat green and green would beat red. Obviously, the cards people are "playing" that week would be sent to Bedard (by PM) and unknown to everyone else.

Combine in the "hotness factor" as a tiebreaker. Each card, in addition to having a certain colored border, would have a 1-3 star rating. 3 stars for the hottest tier, 2 for the next tier and 1 for the lowest tier.

So, as above red would beat blue, blue would beat green and green would beat red. If both payers play the same color, the higher start rating (hotness factor) would determine the winner.

As far as how "accurrate" the hotness factor is, it doesn't really matter, because, even though I might personally disagree with how high a girl is rated, she's only going to be scored on her in-game value. It's not like hotness would be the sole determining factor on who "wins" anyway.

I like the idea of a "starter pack" and a "store," in addition to auctions.

The scoring system I outlined above would make "balancing" the starter packs out much easier. If you're giving 5 cards out in a starter pack, each pack would contain one "3 star" card, two "2 star" cards and two "1 star" cards.

As for the "store," same idea. A 3 star card would cost $20k, a 2 star card $10k and a 1 star card $5k. You could have as many cards as you want, but would have to stay under a certain cap limit. Using the costs suggested here, a starter deck (which everyone would need to get into the game) would cost you $45k.

This purchasing and scoring system would ensure everyone plays on a level field and eliminate the need for confiscating everyone's ZB... Something I don't think many people would be very willing to agree to.

I'm sure there are potential issues with this proposed idea, as I really just worked it from the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure they could be ironed out.

-Bill
          Last edited by BLeonard; 10-07-2011, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• The King
            • Jun 2004

The trending is what determines the boost not me. It's a the least controversial way. As for the categories I thought of that too... but with models and musicians there is very little parity. You're either a player or you're not it doesnt extend 20 people deep that was why I decided against it. Each card would be matched up against its counter part as to eliminate confusion.

1 vs 1
            2 vs 2
            3 vs 3

it's up to you to where you place your girl
            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
            It was all
            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
              Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Far, FAR too complicated.

The genius of BoB is that it's straight forward, almost like Hot or Not.

The BoB auction game takes it one step further, and you can already see the interest was decreased because of more rules on cap value and free agency and flash auction bidding methods and this and that. Only the BZ vets and diehards are playing.

Move this game to this next level as discussed will turn off a lot of casual players. We'll then be dedicating an entire forum to a very very limited number of posters, and excluding everyone else.

I vote no go.
              Last edited by Mr. Miyagi; 10-07-2011, 01:50 PM.

Comment

• BLeonard
                BoB Sabermetrician
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by King Bedard
                The trending is what determines the boost not me. It's a the least controversial way. As for the categories I thought of that too... but with models and musicians there is very little parity. You're either a player or you're not it doesnt extend 20 people deep that was why I decided against it. Each card would be matched up against its counter part as to eliminate confusion.

1 vs 1
                2 vs 2
                3 vs 3

it's up to you to where you place your girl
                OK, but what is defined as a "trend?" You're basically saying that Amanda Knox and Hope Solo would be better to have than Cameron Diaz and Kaley Cuoco this week, because Knox and Solo have been in the news...

Problem is, does that change next week? If it does, how much? Assuming Cuoco and Diaz don't do anything significant next week, would Solo and Knox still be ahead of them, because they were trending more recently?

To determine a "winner" for the week, there has to be SOME way to determine who is "trending" more... I have to assume, since you run the game, that you would be the one to determine whether or not a actress having a movie premiere is better than an athlete being featured on the cover of a magazine. Let me illustrate:

Let's say Miyagi and I are playing head-to-head. he plays Knox, I play Solo...

How is the winner determined there? What are you using to determine that Solo beats Knox, or vice versa?

As for "but with models and musicians there is very little parity," it doesn't matter, if you use the scoring system I proposed. If models are red colored borders, musicians are blue colored borders, and red beats blue, then the model will beat the musician every time.

The strategy kicks in pending on who I have and who I play. I can play my model and beat a musician any day of the week... But, if my opponent has an athlete (green card) my model loses to them.

Paper beats Rock
                Roack Beats Scissors
                Scissors beats Paper

The problem is, you don't know which one your opponent is playing. same concept here.

And, if there is a tie (paper vs paper) the tiebreaker would be the hotness factor I outlined.

It would force players to have variety in their choices... You could pick all models, but if you play a guy that plays an athlete, he's gonna win.

Also, as I outlined above, the hotness factor would break a tie and "hotter" cards would cost more. With a cap, you could have a couple 3 star cards, but you still risk being beat by a 1 star card, if the color of that one star card beats the color of your three star card.

Hopefully, this all makes sense.

-Bill

Comment

• BLeonard
                  BoB Sabermetrician
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                  Far, FAR too complicated.

The genius of BoB is that it's straight forward, almost like Hot or Not.

The BoB auction game takes it one step further, and you can already see the interest was decreased because of more rules on cap value and free agency and flash auction bidding methods and this and that. Only the BZ vets and diehards are playing.

Move this game to this next level as discussed will turn off a lot of casual players. We'll then be dedicating an entire forum to a very very limited number of posters, and excluding everyone else.

I vote no go.
                  That's a fair point too... If you do a head-to-head weekly, how long would it be before people forget to submit their rosters?

-Bill

Comment

• The King
                    • Jun 2004

BL you're not familiar with Google trends? It just tracks the buzz who's searching for who? I'd have nothing to do with it other than tracking where each persons stands

I totally get where Miyagi is coming from... I definitely understand why this game worked from the get go... very little commitment log in make choose bang or bucks and get out... debate about it if you had the time.

Over time people where looking for more side games more deal or no deal etc... so I modified the game. In a perfect world I want everyone who wants to be involved to be involved. So maybe the vs match-ups are reserved for challenges or just done once a month. That way no one has to over-commit to an online game.

But I am trying to fill the gap... I have all these cards... now what!?
                    It was all

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                      Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

But I am trying to fill the gap... I have all these cards... now what!?
                      I get that. It's just bragging rights, or maybe a vote on who's got the best lineup as was planned. The game ends right there.

That's as much as you can get out of it. What else did you expect to do? Collect the hottest girls and get a real date with one of them?

It's like the classic BoB. So Angelina Jolie has the most votes for Bang. Then what? Then nothing. It's over.

Comment

• BLeonard
                        BoB Sabermetrician
                        • Jan 2003

BL you're not familiar with Google trends? It just tracks the buzz who's searching for who? I'd have nothing to do with it other than tracking where each persons stands
                        To be honest, no, I can't say that I am familiar with it... But, I assume there are more of these trending type sites than just Google...

But, let's say 20 people want to play... You're suggesting 3 cards each... That means, you'll be tracking trends for 60 girls in a given time period. Seems like a lot of extra work to me.

If it's something extra that has no bearing on the outcome of the game, where people can play if they want, but not be handicapped gameplay-wise if they don't, that's one thing. But, if it affects gameplay by giving benefits to those who do participate, I don't think it would tun out well.

Limited edition or "promo" type cards for the winners of these contests (like the X-Era contest) that people can choose to enter or not, but it doesn't hurt them if they don't, I'm perfectly fine with. If I get penalized because I choose not to participate in something (or don't have time to, forget to, etc) that would be a problem.... At least in my opinion.

-Bill

Comment

• jamze132
                          Don’t hate…
                          • Jun 2003

The essence of the game as it stands now is the auction. That should still be the #1 feature to this game.

Comment

• TMu11
                            • Mar 2010

Why not put all cards out in the public in advance and have the board vote the hotnness factor for all of them, then shuffle and distribute. That way you have a fair peer pre-determined ranking for the cards
                            After Every Dark Night Comes a Brighter Day

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                              Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by TMu11
                              Why not put all cards out in the public in advance and have the board vote the hotnness factor for all of them, then shuffle and distribute. That way you have a fair peer pre-determined ranking for the cards
                              Then it almost becomes fantasy football. You know I spend MONTHS on making my own cheatsheet? I'm not about to do another on BoB.

Comment

Working...
                              X