Thread: A few comments on the Sabres/Panthers game

Thanks
    Thanked 26,313 Times in 13,736 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

A few comments on the Sabres/Panthers game

-FL was Buffalo South again. I heard the "Let's Go Buffalo" chant several times.

-I can't believe Pominville missed that breakaway, but he made up for it with the assist on the Vanek goal and his own goal.

-I was ready to rip on Leino after that turnover, but he made a great play to recover right after then got the assist on the Pominville goal. He stepped it up as the game went on.

-Myers played well and recovered from that awful outing against Montreal.

-Erhoff is the best of the off-season acquisitions so far.

-Gragnani needs to stop skating around with the puck so much and just get it up to the forwards.

-Miller has been amazing the last two games.

A few things I like about this team:
    -They're finally tough. They go to the front of the net, they finish checks, they fight, they pressure the other team when they are trying to move the puck out of their own end- even after a clear on a PK, etc. Pominville finally grew a pair and even the little guys like Gerbe throw their weight around a little bit.

-PK is excellent

-As much as I didn't like the choice of Pominville as captain initially, I'm coming around. He's playing hard out there and producing.

A few things I don't like about this team:
    -I still have concerns about the PP. They struggled to establish the zone on several PP's last night, and there is still the shorty issue (2 in 6 games is still too many).

-The Roy line really sucks at getting out of the defensive zone. When they win a face-off or actually do manage to get the puck into the offensive zone, they put on good pressure. But it's way too easy for other teams to get them caught deep.

-As Miller's play appears to be back to Vezina form, I hope they don't regress to relying on him to win games. They definitely did this against Montreal, so hopefully it was just an off-game and not the start of a long-term trend.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: A few comments on the Sabres/Panthers game

oh, and one more thing:

Center Ice picked up the MSG feed. I was happy to hear RJ, but now I know why so many of you complain about the MSG's HD quality. I've seen better quality video out of a $200 HD Flip.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Power to Give Rep

Did Dora write this?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

One might expect Roy to get better after a dozen games or so. Anyone being hyper-critical of him now is just like putting Vanek on the championship pedestal without enough games played. Only 6 games played is not enough of a body of work to judge anything significant, yet.

I watched the local S. FL feed & the after game comments from the announcers were quite complementary of the entire Sabres organization. They broke down all the money Pegula spent & mentioned that what they just witnessed was a cream of the conference playing tonight. I couldn't believe how much homework they did actually, pretty well organized broadcast.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SabreEleven
    Did Dora write this?
    There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. You've just crossed over into....the Twilight Zone.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by psubills62
    There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. You've just crossed over into....the Twilight Zone.
    \

Dora is his wife when she posted in The Zone. I didn't think Op could be this positive.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown
    One might expect Roy to get better after a dozen games or so. Anyone being hyper-critical of him now is just like putting Vanek on the championship pedestal without enough games played. Only 6 games played is not enough of a body of work to judge anything significant, yet.

I watched the local S. FL feed & the after game comments from the announcers were quite complementary of the entire Sabres organization. They broke down all the money Pegula spent & mentioned that what they just witnessed was a cream of the conference playing tonight. I couldn't believe how much homework they did actually, pretty well organized broadcast.
    I did the DVR/WGR online combination while watching the game. It's hard to get it lined up but worth it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No love for Sekera? he's been amazing this year, all while carrying grags.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOSman WINS
    Vanek is Austrian not European
    Quote Originally Posted by Prov401
    Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
    Quote Originally Posted by better days
    I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SabreEleven
    \

Dora is his wife when she posted in The Zone. I didn't think Op could be this positive.

I know Dora is Op's wife. I was also commenting on Op's seeming positivity with my post. Maybe I shouldn't have quoted your post, but I was simply following your "I'm in disbelief Op posted this" mode...

Virginia Beach, VA, USA, Earth, Milky Way
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    oh, and one more thing:

Center Ice picked up the MSG feed. I was happy to hear RJ, but now I know why so many of you complain about the MSG's HD quality. I've seen better quality video out of a $200 HD Flip.
    yeah about 10 minutes late, i had to strain my ears with the FLA feed for 5 minutes of the 1st.

at least the montreal Play by play actually talked about hockey.

carolina pbp was constantly going off talking about bbq, football, this and that instead of the game.
    Skate Zilla
    -----------------------
    Skate Zilla HD Studios:
    SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by psubills62

I know Dora is Op's wife. I was also commenting on Op's seeming positivity with my post. Maybe I shouldn't have quoted your post, but I was simply following your "I'm in disbelief Op posted this" mode...
    I guess I was "the guy who didn't get your joke" guy.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SkateZilla
    yeah about 10 minutes late, i had to strain my ears with the FLA feed for 5 minutes of the 1st.
    yeah I only missed the first minute of play before the Sabres feed came in- unfortunately I wasn't home when the game started so I didn't have the opportunity to flip to the Florida feed.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Strangely enough, from the bits I watched between doing dishes...it looked like Buffalo controlled the puck better when the sides were even than during the PP. They definitely looked uncomfortable on the PP and really weren't getting good looks on goal. Turned it over way too often too.

Overall, great effort though. They had possession a lot more than I felt used to seeing and I thought they did a good job on defense.

Sabres Zone
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Welp, OP just used up three months worth of positivity in one post.. I think I'll block him now in preparation for the coming onslaught of negativity.
    “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JD
    Welp, OP just used up three months worth of positivity in one post.. I think I'll block him now in preparation for the coming onslaught of negativity.
    I keep reading how OP is all that's evil here but all I read is him pointing out flaws that everyone seems to dislike hearing about. It isn't like we've had years of success for our Buffalo franchises & the Sabres usually need the all-star panic button hit to get in gear.

Not everyone looks through the garden the same way, some find pleasure when there is fresh manure abounding while most run away. I for one see a bit of a bigotry of this man, let him tell you when things are looking bleak. I have attorneys I pay for bad news or the rotten, OP serves it to you for free.

I'd consider OP the bearer of reality, seen through a toilet seat.
    Last edited by Skooby; 10-21-2011 at 08:52 PM.

clumping platelets

I'd like to see Weber play over Grags

Touch the helmet for luck helmetguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    -FL was Buffalo South again. I heard the "Let's Go Buffalo" chant several times.

-I can't believe Pominville missed that breakaway, but he made up for it with the assist on the Vanek goal and his own goal.

-I was ready to rip on Leino after that turnover, but he made a great play to recover right after then got the assist on the Pominville goal. He stepped it up as the game went on.

-Myers played well and recovered from that awful outing against Montreal.

-Erhoff is the best of the off-season acquisitions so far.

-Gragnani needs to stop skating around with the puck so much and just get it up to the forwards.

-Miller has been amazing the last two games.

A few things I like about this team:
    -They're finally tough. They go to the front of the net, they finish checks, they fight, they pressure the other team when they are trying to move the puck out of their own end- even after a clear on a PK, etc. Pominville finally grew a pair and even the little guys like Gerbe throw their weight around a little bit.

-PK is excellent

-As much as I didn't like the choice of Pominville as captain initially, I'm coming around. He's playing hard out there and producing.

A few things I don't like about this team:
    -I still have concerns about the PP. They struggled to establish the zone on several PP's last night, and there is still the shorty issue (2 in 6 games is still too many).

-The Roy line really sucks at getting out of the defensive zone. When they win a face-off or actually do manage to get the puck into the offensive zone, they put on good pressure. But it's way too easy for other teams to get them caught deep.

-As Miller's play appears to be back to Vezina form, I hope they don't regress to relying on him to win games. They definitely did this against Montreal, so hopefully it was just an off-game and not the start of a long-term trend.

Who are you? And what have you done with OP?

(Just kidding. Hadda clear that "You haven't posted in a while" nastygram at the top of the screen)
    Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
    And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White