Steve Johnson proved once again why he isn't worth a big contract for #1 WR money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsFever21
    • Aug 2004

Steve Johnson proved once again why he isn't worth a big contract for #1 WR money

On top of the many passes he already drops he once again choked on a game winning catch when he was wide open just like last year against Pittsburgh. A #1 worthy WR catches them passes even if they do have some occasional drops every now and then. Both of them were wide open passes with the game on the line and he choked.

Outside of all that he also isn't a big play WR. He hardly gets any YAC. The majority of the time when he catches the ball he falls right down and hardly ever gets or fights for any yards afterwards. He's either close to laying on the ground when he catches it or after he does it seems like he goes down on his own with the defender around him going for the tackle. He should be fighting for them extra yards in them situations. He's a possession WR at best.

I would like to keep him around but only at the right price. I'd give him 5 or 6 million a year and that is it. If he's looking for a Lee Evans type of contract for 9+ million a year then let him walk. He would make a good #2 but he has proven he isn't good enough or a clutch WR to be paid #1 type money.

Among all the other needs of the Bills we really need a top flight #1 WR. AJ Green would've looked good on this team right now. He will be a Calvin Johnson type of WR. I guess it will depend on how Dareus pans out if that pick was worth it.

Looking back at the draft I would much rather have the Bengals first two draft picks. Dalton and Green should be a good combination for years to come. Dalton will be a good but not elite QB and Green will be an elite WR. He is already almost playing like one in his rookie season.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Steve Johnson proved once again why he isn't worth a big contract for #1 WR money

If you're going to offer Stevie 5 or 6 mil tops, get ready for him to walk and a slew of 'Ralph is cheap' threads.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BillsFever21
      • Aug 2004

Re: Steve Johnson proved once again why he isn't worth a big contract for #1 WR money

Originally posted by YardRat
      If you're going to offer Stevie 5 or 6 mil tops, get ready for him to walk and a slew of 'Ralph is cheap' threads.
      Then let him walk. He isn't a #1 WR and isn't worth #1 WR money. It's not worth paying a guy 9+ million a year who isn't worth the money. He definitely isn't worth more then 7 million a year.

He is worth the going rate of a Top 5 #2 WR or a Top 20 #1 WR. If he wants anymore then that then let him walk.

Good teams pay the right players what they are worth(Steelers, Packers, Patriots, etc) and let the average ones who want more then they are worth leave for more money if they choose to.

The difference between us and them teams are that they are able to actually draft good players to replace them if not already have a backup plan ready to step in. The Bills aren't and always screw up their draft picks.

A great example is Santonio Holmes. He was a great player with the Steelers but they didn't like his attitude and didn't think he would be worth 9+ million a season so they traded him and they had somebody to step right in and do even better. At best he is just under the level of Holmes. Holmes is more of a playmaker and has proven to make clutch catches unlike Johnson who also drops a lot of passes on top of it. That would put him in the 6 million dollar range or 7 at the very most. Not a dime more then that.

He is a worthy player to keep around but not for top money. His value is a #1 WR on a bad team like the Bills or a #2 WR on a playoff contending team. There's a difference from keeping players around and paying them big money because they are worth it then just keeping them around because you feel there is no other choice. A perfect example is Chris Kelsay and even Lee Evans to an extent. At least Evans had a couple great seasons, had good hands and was a playmaker when he got the money.

If we were a playoff contender then he might be worth paying a little extra for. Since he isn't a top #1 WR and we are far from a playoff team he isn't worth 9+ million a year.

Comment

• BillsFever21
        • Aug 2004

Too many Bills fans have the tendency to think just because the player is a starter on the Bills then that is the money they are worth. On a good team Johnson would be a #2 along with many other of our starters.

Just because they are starters on the Bills doesn't mean they are starting players on most other teams. If so then we wouldn't be as bad as we have been for years. There is a reason why we are a losing team every year and a laughing stock of the NFL.

Johnson just doesn't have the hands, mental control/stability, big play ability or a track record of being a clutch player to pay him Top 10 or so WR money.

Comment

• The Jokeman
          • Dec 2003

FYI Steve has a higher % catch rate than other top rated receives like Roddy White, Calvin "Megatron" Johnson and just under 1% below Brandon Marshall. He's also better than Dwayne Bowe for what it's worth:

So I'm curious if we let Stevie go, who do you all propose we can bring in that will be any better?

EDIT: Added Dwayne Bowe.
          Last edited by The Jokeman; 11-29-2011, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
            Legendary Zoner
            • May 2009

I think they will franchise him and then work out a deal.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
              The Voice of Reason
              • Jul 2007

And if we drafted Green Dareus sould've looked good now. There is honestly no winning with Bills fans. Top flight D-lineman?! shoulda gone WR!
              Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                Legendary Zoner
                • May 2009

Bills will be drafting Michael Floyd and Steve will be the #2 so I wouldn't pay more than 7-8 million for him. He himself said he knows he isn't worth top money.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                  Pinkerton's son
                  • Feb 2006

uh Stevie might not be a top 10 WR in the NFL but hes very talented. He has some drops, yes, but you people are ridiculous...do you think Donald Jones would have gotten ANY catches against Revis? Bc i dont.

Do you want our WR corps to have David Nelson or Donald Jones as our #1 and #2 next year? That thought sickens me, so I hope your answer is no. Stevie is a legit WR, case closed.

Also, why are you so concerned about the money? The Bills have oodles of cap space, so whats the big deal?

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                    • Sep 2008

So, then sign him to #2 receiver money and get a #1 or at least a receiver to compete with him so he knows his job isn't safe. Once someone with a big attitude realizes there's someone waiting to take his job, it changes the dynamic. JMO

Comment

• jamze132
                      Don’t hate…
                      • Jun 2003

Stevie's issues can be fixed. He just needs the right person to get inside his head.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
                        Do you want our WR corps to have David Nelson or Donald Jones as our #1 and #2 next year? That thought sickens me, so I hope your answer is no. Stevie is a legit WR, case closed.
                        False dichotomy argument. Stevie, Nelson and Jones are NOT the only options out there. It's up to the FO to do better.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ZEUS
                          My bedroom is covered in posters of naked men.
                          • Jul 2005

They should cut him and cut Fred too while they're at it.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                            Pinkerton's son
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37
                            False dichotomy argument. Stevie, Nelson and Jones are NOT the only options out there. It's up to the FO to do better.
                            And you have so much faith in our FO that they'll bring in someone better than Stevie? Come on man. If Stevie walks without a contract we will simply fill from within, havent we learned that already?

Comment

• Lone Stranger
                              • Sep 2002

A perplexing situation. Bills' Fever is correct in his comments, in general. However, we have little if Stevie wanders(sic). From what I gather he is looking at #1 $ yet he does not warrant that $.

I think the $6-7 million is reasonable. I think the guy has a big ego and wants a lot more. Somebody in the Bills organization has to do a good selling job.

If we had someone else I wouldn't mind him walking but we don't.

Comment

Working...
                              X