Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stevie Johnson Contract

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Stevie Johnson Contract

A lot of fans are unwilling to give Stevie a #1 contract and that is a true dilemma. However, I see little choice in the matter since the Bills have little else to offer on the receiver front. And please don't insult me with the likes of Parrish and Easley. I do have a twist on this.

Recently, it was reported that the NFL's TV contract had increased 60% for the following 10 years beginning in 2014, if I am correct. That, of course, means the salary cap will increase in a like manner. I am proposing the Bills give Stevie a 5 year $50 miilion contract backloaded with reachable incentives beginning in the 2014 year. That way they can control the cap hit for 2012 and 2013 and push more $ forward.

I don't think it would take a genius to structure this contract and, besides, the contracts are going to substantially escalate in the future.
    Last edited by Lone Stranger; 12-20-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Stevie Johnson Contract

Stevie should get his #1 WR contract, period.

He is a #1 WR, his numbers show that, and if Fitz wasn't having a horrible second half of this season, Stevie's numbers would be much much better.

Just look at how many times Fitz has had Stevie open on plays down the field this year and missed... that's like 4 or 5 easy TDs.

Stevie needs to be paid and anyone who says otherwise has no clue. Calvin Johnson or Roddy White are not coming to Buffalo next year so pay the man and lets actually add another good player on the roster without having to fill another.

What Stevie needs is a complimentary WR on the other side that has big time speed.

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,943 Times in 4,386 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I am so tired of the Bills sucking that I don't even care if they pay this semi talented clown.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,402 Times in 13,788 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi

He is a #1 WR, his numbers show that, and if Fitz wasn't having a horrible second half of this season, Stevie's numbers would be much much better.

Just look at how many times Fitz has had Stevie open on plays down the field this year and missed... that's like 4 or 5 easy TDs.

Stevie needs to be paid and anyone who says otherwise has no clue. Calvin Johnson or Roddy White are not coming to Buffalo next year so pay the man and lets actually add another good player on the roster without having to fill another.

What Stevie needs is a complimentary WR on the other side that has big time speed.
    What about Stevie's drops? What about the way he didn't fight for that INT along the sidelines?

Being a #1 WR is about more than just numbers.

Think about this: we've had Stevie for the last two years and it's gotten us nowhere. I realize there is a steep dropoff at WR on this team after Stevie, but he has proven that he can't get the job done when it counts the most.

The Bills will pay Stevie because they simply have no choice. The FO has created a situation where there are no good options, and paying Stevie is the "least bad" option. But this team will continue to lose, and one reason why will be relying on Stevie as the team's #1 WR.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

how many times has stevie dropped the game winning TD. this and last year combined?

TOOOO MANY
    a decent qb can win a fluke super bowl. but a franchise qb makes a perennial powerhouse.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    What about Stevie's drops? What about the way he didn't fight for that INT along the sidelines?

Being a #1 WR is about more than just numbers.

Think about this: we've had Stevie for the last two years and it's gotten us nowhere. I realize there is a steep dropoff at WR on this team after Stevie, but he has proven that he can't get the job done when it counts the most.

The Bills will pay Stevie because they simply have no choice. The FO has created a situation where there are no good options, and paying Stevie is the "least bad" option. But this team will continue to lose, and one reason why will be relying on Stevie as the team's #1 WR.
    Wow,,, 2 big drops in two years... its not like he drops the ball on a consistent basis.

How many times has he caught a TD to take a lead in a game?

And that INT along the sideline was an underthrown ball from Fitz. He was supposed to lead him with that throw, he underthrew it and Stevie clearly couldn't get back fast enough to make a play on it because the defender had inside position.

Its fans like you that deserve a loser in Buffalo. Even the bright spots of our team are criticized.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Wow,,, 2 big drops in two years... its not like he drops the ball on a consistent basis.

And that INT along the sideline was an underthrown ball from Fitz. He was supposed to lead him with that throw, he underthrew it and Stevie clearly couldn't get back fast enough to make a play on it because the defender had inside position.

Its fans like you that deserve a loser in Buffalo. Even the bright spots of our team are criticized.
    he did it more than twice in two years.

he missed two in the same game.

how many times has other no 1s done it. megatron, fitzgerald, marshall, holmes...etc????????

NOT MANY OR NONE

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

First, he's had more than 2- those were just the most memorable.

Second, they're the only 2 clutch catches he had to make, and he failed both times. Once again, you are looking at pure numbers and not at the actual situation.

Yes, Fitz definitely underthrew the ball, but Stevie was right there when the DB jumped for it and backed off. It was Fitz's fault but Stevie showed zero effort to even attempt to do anything about it. There is no excuse for EVER showing zero effort.

lmao- it's fans like you who deserve a loser because in your twisted, mediocre world, Stevie Johnson is a "bright spot." I expect more from my team. This is exactly what I mean when I say Bills fans have accepted mediocrity. And for that, you earn the Krusty brand Seal of Approval:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cgbm

how many times has other no 1s done it. megatron, fitzgerald, marshall, holmes...etc????????

NOT MANY OR NONE
    Really, then why is Roddy White leading the league in dropped passes? Don't see ATL fans calling for his head.

Pinkerton's son Pinkerton Security's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

NOT MANY OR NONE
    marshall dropped 2 TD's against us...so much for your theory.

I'll always maintain that Stevie isnt a true #1, but I will also maintain this...if we dont re-sign Stevie, we're going to have a WR corps of Jones, Nelson, Roosevelt, Hagan. Johnson is head and shoulders above anyone else on our team and it isnt close.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Second, they're the only 2 clutch catches he had to make, and he failed both times. Once again, you are looking at pure numbers and not at the actual situation.

Yes, Fitz definitely underthrew the ball, but Stevie was right there when the DB jumped for it and backed off. It was Fitz's fault but Stevie showed zero effort to even attempt to do anything about it. There is no excuse for EVER showing zero effort.

lmao- it's fans like you who deserve a loser because in your twisted, mediocre world, Stevie Johnson is a "bright spot." I expect more from my team. This is exactly what I mean when I say Bills fans have accepted mediocrity. And for that, you earn the Krusty brand Seal of Approval:

You call it the only two clutch catches because he didn't make them, that's called being hypocritical.

He has made many catches for TDs that gave us a lead in a game or catches that led us towards a game winning TD. You just don't remember them because they were CAUGHT.

Pinkerton's son Pinkerton Security's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

We get it...you dont approve of anyone on our roster. Stop posting about it.

Does anyone on this board think we're a better team without Steve Johnson?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You call it the only two clutch catches because he didn't make them, that's called being hypocritical.

He has made many catches for TDs that gave us a lead in a game or catches that led us towards a game winning TD. You just don't remember them because they were CAUGHT.
    Wins aren't defining this team right now.

Losses are.

Stevie was in a position to give this team 2 more wins in just over a calendar year, and he failed both times.

Fans are supposed to want the team to win, not defend the players who have cost us wins.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by pinkdogg32

I don't even think we're a better team without Stevie Johnson. But, that's only one side of the coin. The other side is this:

Does anyone really think we are going to be winners with Stevie Johnson as our #1 WR? If so, why?

The guy has shown a propensity to make mental mistakes- not just the drops but the stupid penalty. And then on top of that, his effort has gone down and he showed immaturity in taking responsibility for his mistakes both times. Immature guys who can't be counted on in crunch time don't win football games.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Really, then why is Roddy White leading the league in dropped passes? Don't see ATL fans calling for his head.
    He actually dropped two game winners just in this season alone. I believe Julio Jones had one as well. Fans are oblivious as to what goes on around the NFL outside of Buffalo.
    Last edited by madness; 12-20-2011 at 02:33 PM.

Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!! Luisito23's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 969 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Thumbs down Re: Stevie Johnson Contract

Quote Originally Posted by madness
    Fans are oblivious as to what goes on around the NFL outside of Buffalo.
    Not everyone, just the ones that want to prove their points at all costs.
    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

how many times has stevie dropped the game winning TD. this and last year combined?

TOOOO MANY

How many times has Fitz missed a wide open Stevie that had beaten the Defenders ? Tooo many.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There are plenty that are wondering aloud about him but give Julio's drops they can't complain much plus they are winning.

Not a good example.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by pinkdogg32

Better team immediately no? But could (and that's a big bad word with out FO track record) we do better? Absolutely.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by madness
    He actually dropped two game winners just in this season alone. I believe Julio Jones had one as well. Fans are oblivious as to what goes on around the NFL outside of Buffalo.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Roddy White's mistakes in Atlanta don't justify Stevie Johnson's mistakes here. Just because players on other teams make mistakes doesnt' give our guys an excuse to make mistakes.