• Show
Clear All
  • paladin warrior
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Oct 2004

IF Chan get fire and hire Nov Turver

Report: Turner on way out of San Diego

Updated Dec 31, 2011 11:56 PM ET

Chargers head coach Norv Turner will be fired sometime next week, meaning Sunday's game in Oakland will be his last with the team, the San Diego Union Tribune reported Saturday.

Sources familiar with team president Dean Spanos' thinking told the newspaper that Spanos feels he has no choice but to make a change after the team lost six games in a row midseason.
    "There reaches a point of no return," a person in the Chargers' organization said.
    The ax will fall despite Turner's reign at the Chargers being as successful as any of the team's previous coaches.
    He will enter Sunday's game with a 48-31 win-loss record — the second best regular-season winning percentage of any Chargers head coach. If the team beats the Raiders on Sunday, and his postseason record is added to the equation, Turner will top the list of Chargers coaches.
    Turner's dismissal will not be unexpected, with the coach being told in November that he quickly needed positive results to save his job. Four more defeats that month left San Diego fourth in the AFC West standings. They have since climbed to third, one game ahead of Kansas City.
    But the firing is not likely to be well supported by Chargers players.
    "It's really a shame . . ." quarterback Philip Rivers told the Union Tribune. "It hasn't been great [the past two seasons], but he's the winningest coach in the history of this place.

"That's all I know. Are we satisfied at 8-8? Absolutely not. Did the Giants go 8-8 before they won the Super Bowl? Yeah. Pittsburgh? Yeah. Teams go 8-8. I mean, teams that are in a funk, they're 4-12 and 3-13 and they're 2-14, they're 5-11. If this is the rough stretch here — 9-7, 8-8 — that's pretty good."
  • DynaPaul
    • Sep 2003

Re: IF Chan get fire and hire Nov Turver

You won't see him in Buffalo unless it's as the new O-coordinator.

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
      Will not tolerate vandalism.
      • Apr 2006

God, no. Norv Turner is the patron saint of underachievement, even with the best talent. If this team is getting a new coach, it needs to be an aggressive, young, first-time head coach with a proven record of production as a coordinator. And if they can't get that, then there's no point in trying to compete in this league.

Comment

• streetkings01
        • Jul 2006

Why would anyone wany Norv Turner as the HC??? He's done a terrible job as HC everywhere he's been. He took over a 14-2 Chargers team that he was already familiar with being the OC and had them consistently unprepared to start the season. Norv will never get another HC gig again.
        You can call me streetkings

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
          The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
          • Feb 2005

Chan is NOT getting fired
          Stop the nonsense
          In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
            • Sep 2009

One mans garbage is another's treasure.

Guy had all the talent in the world and couldn't win.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
              • May 2009

Just fire Chan, if not then try and hire norv turner as offensive coordinator. just so the Jets don't get him.

Comment

• Beebe
                • Aug 2011

Norv and Wanny it be like the old COWBOYS staff. But old. Why not,will be better than the 2011 BILLS.
                Attached Files

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                  Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                  • Jun 2005

Norv sucks as a HC

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

You really want to hire Norv "Choke" Turner as the Bills head coach?
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• imbondz
                      Democrats are people too
                      • Jan 2003

Norv might be the worst HC in the past 20 years. no one has done less with as much talent as the Chargers have had over the past 5 years.
                      My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• paladin warrior
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

Need Buffalo Bills To find a most talnet Hc. Chan is weak talnet .. Chan is 10 win and 22 lost.

Comment

• paladin warrior
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Why so Serious?
                          Chan is NOT getting fired
                          Stop the nonsense
                          I say (IF).. I dont say he will get fire 100%

Comment

• jcdavey
                            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by imbondz
                            Norv might be the worst HC in the past 20 years. no one has done less with as much talent as the Chargers have had over the past 5 years.
                            actually norv's record with sd is one of the best records of any sd chargers head coach in their history

so your statement is a pretty false one......

even norv's playoff record is one of the best of any sd chargers hc ever......

but....when norv does get fired, he'll be hired as an OC before HC

he has a stigma that ******ed people just can't shake

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                              Will not tolerate vandalism.
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by jcdavey
                              actually norv's record with sd is one of the best records of any sd chargers head coach in their history

so your statement is a pretty false one......

even norv's playoff record is one of the best of any sd chargers hc ever......
                              You do realize that Turner took a team Schottenheimer built (Rivers, LT, etc.), propped it up for a couple of years, and now he's back to the usual, right? He had a record before San Diego, too, and it's not pretty. Yes, he has the best winning percentage of any Chargers coach, but would you really want him over Sid Gillman, Bobby Ross, Marty Schottenheimer or Don Coryell? Do you DARE tell me that, given the careers of those men, you would honestly pick Norv Turner over any of those men? Get real. Norv Turner has a career record of 106-113-1. Prior to arriving in San Diego he had a grand total of one year out of thirteen in which he led his teams to the playoffs. The success of the Chargers in the late 2000s was a triumph of personnel over coaching. Buddy Nix, an alumnus of those teams, should take note.

Comment

Working...
                              X