If Fitz was younger, would that change your opinion on him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imbondz
    Democrats are people too
    • Jan 2003

If Fitz was younger, would that change your opinion on him?

Not saying he's old, but does that have anything to do with your opinion on his play? If he was 5 yrs younger, with his current stats, would that change things?

I am just not sold on that he can't carry us deep into the playoffs and even win a championship. I know consistency is an issue, but I think we have deeper problems than him at QB. And during our 5-2 run, he WAS throwing the ball deep and accurate.

Since Kelly, it goes Bledsoe, then Fitz. Revolving doors around QBs, coaches, never work. For the first time in a long time, it feels like we have a foundation of the workings of a good team. It would just seem like torture to continue to start over. Unless of course we're miraculously able to get Luck or RGIII. But that's a given under any discussion.
    Last edited by imbondz; 01-04-2012, 01:51 PM.
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

• DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: If Fitz was younger, would that change your opinion on him?

No, his age isn't a huge factor for me at this point.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• EDS
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by imbondz
      Not saying he's old, but does that have anything to do with your opinion on his play? If he was 5 yrs younger, with his current stats, would that change things?

I am just not sold on that he can't carry us deep into the playoffs and even win a championship. I know consistently is an issue, but I think we have deeper problems than him at QB. And during our 5-2 run, he WAS throwing the ball deep and accurate.

Since Kelly, it goes Bledsoe, then Fitz. Revolving doors around QBs, coaches, never work. For the first time in a long time, it feels like we have a foundation of the workings of a good team. It would just seem like torture to continue to start over. Unless of course we're miraculously able to get Luck or RGIII. But that's a given under any discussion.
      Obviously you would have much greater cause to believe your QB will improve if they are a young guy with minimal experience. Fitz has started over 50 games at this point, so to believe he will improve dramatically is imprudent. Andy Dalton, however, who had similar stats to Fitz as a rookie, has much more room for improvement just based on gaining experience.

Comment

• Mski
        • Mar 2006

no i really dont believe his age has a whole lot to do with my dislike for him as the long term guy at QB... he is still realatively young, but i simply dont think he has the skill set to be anything more than a lower tier starting QB... things that players can improve upon are mechanics and reading defenses... both of those are things fitz is fairly decent at... what doesnt improve with age and more reps is accuracy and arm strength... two things fitz is below par in
        RIP Tommy D!
        12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Comment

• Bill Cody
          • Sep 2004

It depends....if Fitz gets to be younger do I get to be younger too?

Comment

• trapezeus
            Legendary Zoner
            • Oct 2004

fitz's issue is his windup and long release. when he had the protection he was ok. not outstanding.

but when the line went down, he was errant. there were a lot of plays he left on the field

age is not a factor. i think he sees the game correctly. i don't think he has the athleticism to always pull it off. you need to marry what he sees with a guy who can get the ball out fast.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

it's experience more than age.

Fitz has reached that point where he has been around long enough that he's unlikely to improve significantly beyond where he is now.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• PTI
                Banned
                • Jan 2011

If he was the same age and played like the Rich Gannon that was resurrected then I would not care.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                  • Sep 2003

Let me ask this question: If Fitz was a #1 draft pick who had back-to-back 3K passing seasons and ranked around #10 in 3 offensive stats, would you say we found our franchise QB?

PTR
                  10 Commandments of the D
                  1. Never stop Rocking.
                  2. Legalize all drugs.
                  3. Quit your day job.
                  4. All Religion should be taxed.
                  5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                  6. F**k her gently.
                  7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                  8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                  9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                  10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• The King
                    Without me it's just Awe so
                    • Jun 2004

Im not as down on Fitz as some. He was playing with cast-off's and undrafted FA's. Out top receiver was a 7th round pick.

A lot of these guys were mid season insertions, so theres little to no chemistry there. He missed on some deep throws this year no question but that takes time to develop.

Fitz was able to get the absolute most out of this oline but that involved a lot of quick throws, which require perfect syncronocity between the QB and the receiver a tough feat with a new face each week. We also were a terrible YAC team, which I believe was a direct result of the quick strike offense.

I think if Fitz had a few more weapons to throw to we'd be talking differently. Look how much having Freddy helped the passing game.

We were also behind so often late in the season teams could just play the pass which makes life on a QB even harder.

Fitz wasn't perfect but he's not the root of the problem either. I have zero issue giving him another year under center.

For us to take a QB early in this draft, just means we're passing on another position of need.
                    Last edited by The King; 01-04-2012, 12:55 PM.
                    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                    It was all
                    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

My problem with Fitz is his deep throws. If he cant hit his recievers acurately it wont open things up . Early in Brady's career he dinked and dunked with screen passes al the way to the sb. He has since evolved to hurting teams with the deep ball if D's dared him to. Not sure if Fitz is set on his ways at this stage of his career when it comes to his arm.

I would dare Fitz to beat me deep if I were a DC all day especially if the bills were behind.
                      Last edited by justasportsfan; 01-04-2012, 12:49 PM.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                        • Mar 2004

@ MBB

Comment

• imbondz
                          Democrats are people too
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by PromoTheRobot
                          Let me ask this question: If Fitz was a #1 draft pick who had back-to-back 3K passing seasons and ranked around #10 in 3 offensive stats, would you say we found our franchise QB?

PTR
                          lol. I think most people would say YES!

Comment

• imbondz
                            Democrats are people too
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by PTI
                            If he was the same age and played like the Rich Gannon that was resurrected then I would not care.
                            if I recall correctly, Rich Gannon is a great example of someone who absolutely got better and had better stats later in his career.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by King Bedard
                              Im not as down on Fitz as some. He was playing with cast-off's and undrafted FA's. Out top receiver was a 7th round pick.
                              Here's the problem: it's always going to be like that for Fitz.

As long as he's in Buffalo, he's always going to be surrounded by cast-offs and UDFA's because that's how this organization works. It's unfair to Fitz, or any other QB we might have, because few- if any- QB's in the history of the NFL would be able to excel with such a steaming pile of **** around them. But it's the unfortunate reality of how the Bills do business.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X