Thread: who is more frustrating: Ruff or Jauron

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

who is more frustrating: Ruff or Jauron

Is the current lindy ruff more annoying than the jauron who was underacheiving with the billboard calling for his dismissal?

I think it's close. I'm listening to arguments for and against.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: who is more frustrating: Ruff or Jauron

Well to me Jauron and it isn't even a question.

I personally like Lindy.

I hate how the team is playing however.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I wasn't particularly fond of Ruff as a player, especially after he had a temper tantrum and demanded a trade over being benched for his lackluster play. I don't think much more of him as a coach.
    ...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
    it's Don't Tread On Me.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Been frustrated by Ruff for such a long time that he has to trump Jauron in frustration factor, with some of it being the Sabres were close.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Jauron, by a landslide. and one of the biggest reasons is because of all the team sports, a football head coach probably has the most direct impact on the outcome of a game, via play calling, and time management. in hockey on the otherhand, the head coach probably has very little, if not no direct impact on the outcome of the game. its all on the players to react and perform. now you can make the argument that the players have "given up" on Ruff, and "stopped playing" for him... but i think the onus is on the players as much as the coach for allowing that to happen.
    RIP Tommy D!
    12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Virginia Beach, VA, USA, Earth, Milky Way
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

jauron.... by a landslide.
    Skate Zilla
    -----------------------
    Skate Zilla HD Studios:
    SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

i would probably pick jauron too. but i thought of this because jauron had a lot less to work with and much less time, but he totally got us all worked up.

ruff in year 14 is only starting to get the majority to be like, "wait a minute, he's missed the playoffs how many times?"

Registered User chernobylwraiths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by rbochan
    I wasn't particularly fond of Ruff as a player, especially after he had a temper tantrum and demanded a trade over being benched for his lackluster play. I don't think much more of him as a coach.

Funny thing is, as a player I hated him because he wasn't very talented and all he ever seemed to do was get beat up in fights. But he was a tough player who would stand up for any of his teammates. Now, I just wish we had a few more players like him. Granted, we still need some goal scorers, but if we had a few more of him out there who would deck another player for roughing up our good players, I'm sure our good players would have more open ice to skate on.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,327 Times in 13,744 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think Jauron is worse because he was blatantly incompetent and just didn't know what he was talking about. His play calling and time management was amateurish at best.

Lindy knows hockey. That's not his problem. He has just failed to lead/motivate the current crop of players.

Also, Lindy's at least given us 4 or 5 exciting seasons. Jauron was a failure from day 1. That allows Lindy the luxury of a slightly longer leash

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Jauron by a landslide. Lindy has had some good years in Buffalo. I don't think he's doing a good job right now, and I think it's time for a change. But it's hardly as frustrating as Jauron.

Jauron was the WORST choice for the team in the first place. I heard sports expert after expert saying that Jauron would be the WORST choice for the Bills before he was hired.

And then thanks to Levy, we get saddled with his mediocrity for 3 years because of some Ivy League good old boy club nonsense. Unlike Lindy, he never did a good job.

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
    per play average than the Bills' offense!

Thanks
    Thanked 26,327 Times in 13,744 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve

Jauron was the WORST choice for the team in the first place. I heard sports expert after expert saying that Jauron would be the WORST choice for the Bills before he was hired.
    Sports experts? My friend, who is a Bears fan, called me up and started laughing when Jauron was hired. EVERYONE knew it was a bad choice, except Marv and Ralph. I think Jauron may have slipped some rufies into their Grand Slams when they were eating at Denny's.

Will not tolerate vandalism. Johnny Bugmenot's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There was always a chance for Jauron to be fired. Ruff, however, appears to be here for life. Sadly. That is frustrating. A hair under .500 would be a consistent playoff contender in the NHL, but not in the AFC East, where Brady sets the standard. Jauron was in a no-win situation. Ruff has had every opportunity to win a Stanley Cup, and has failed in 14 years here. You can't blame the talent like you can with the Bills. Yes, they drove Briere and Drury off, but they didn't win with them, either.

In short, Ruff by a mile.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

i was and still am anti-jauron. but let's be honest, could dick jauron get to the AFC championship game a couple times with Peyton Manning? maybe. That's what ruff had.

and could Jauron coach an allstar team to an above .500 season. he did that one season in chicago.

i thought the same thing up until the sabres missed the playoffs in 2009. then you calculate how many times he's missed hte playoffs, he's under acheived with teams that should have won. dom at his peak, should have won a championship. i also steam over the fact that the Rigas were literally stealing money to fund everything, but chose not to get one legitimate line to push the team over the top.

the president's cup year was awful. you saw that team slowing down and you saw them not take ottawa seriously. but they could have and should have won that if they had more oomph in the tanks.

after that, he doesn't even seem like the same coach on the bench. he's more whiny in post games, he's less into it on the bench. it's like he's suffering post concussion syndrome.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    Sports experts? My friend, who is a Bears fan, called me up and started laughing when Jauron was hired. EVERYONE knew it was a bad choice, except Marv and Ralph. I think Jauron may have slipped some rufies into their Grand Slams when they were eating at Denny's.
    Yeah, I can remember one sports writer/talking head after another stating, when Jauron was just a possibility as HC, along with some other candidates, that he was the worst choice as HC.

I also remember this forum was buzzing with anti-Jauron talk before he was hired. Everybody thought he sucked, except for Levy. The only reason Ralph went along with it was based on Levy's recommendation, and that he worked cheap, at least compared to the other candidates. LOL

Then I would hear Levy, even two years into Jauron's failed tenure as HC, defending the guy on Sports Talk on Wham1180 - and it would make me sick.

"Well, Bob, I had a losing record my first year as HC at Buffalo.... blah blah blah blah!!!"

I'll bet to this day Levy still thinks the guy would make a good HC, even though the entire NFL has totally written Jauron off.
    Last edited by Cleve; 01-18-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Veteran Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

this is to

your comparing a football coach to a hockey coach, it's a whole different sport with a different set of plays! It's like comparing a baseball manager to a basketball coach. It doesn't wash.
    Last edited by Fitzpatrick'sbeard; 01-18-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Jauron.

It's not even close. Jauron was clueless, a poor decision-maker (like with time outs), and was too soft with players.

As I said in the thread about Darcy defenders - Ruff is a good coach and a great guy, but after a while players stop responding. The buttons he used to push no longer work because they've all be used for so long. The players need a coach that is foreign and unfamiliar.