This whole "Bounty" thing is ridiculous.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

This whole "Bounty" thing is ridiculous.

This is football. The whole object of the sport/game is to hurt the person lined up across from you. It's been this way for 100 plus years. Now all of the sudden it comes out that players are trying to hurt other players, and everyone is pretending to be shocked and disgusted? Talk about a bunch of Hippocrates. You can't hit a guy in the head anymore. You can't hit a guy who isn't looking at you. You can't hit a QB above or below the waist. Why not just take all of the equipment away and put flags on the side of everyone?

Now players are coming out and admitting to bounties? Are you completely ******ed, or just semi-downs? What ever happened to the code of the locker room, and the unwritten rules of the ins and outs of the game? What's next, retired players are going to start publishing the playbooks from their old teams?

This is completely ridiculous. I'm sure the Saints will be made an example of and lose their 1st round pick, and Sean Payton will get the pants fined off of him, but will it really change anything? Do we WANT it to change anything? If guys have bounties, who cares? If they hurt someone with a dirty or illegal hit, they are going to be a.) penalized on the field for it and b.) fined by the league, probably a substantial amount more than whatever bounty they got in the locker room. There are rules in place already for dirty hits, illegal hits, whatever you want to call them.

I guess my point is that it's not like you see guys out there taking cheap shots, or going after guys' knees on purpose. At least not very often. Of course it happens, but those guys are usually penalized, fined and even suspended. The media is making way too big of a deal about this, and it's sickening.
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: This whole "Bounty" thing is ridiculous.

I agree. Lets not be pussies people.

Comment

• ddaryl
      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
      • Jan 2005

you don't try to intentionally hurt the other player. What ever happened to sportsmanship, bounties are anythingn but, and that is pretty disturbing

The outrage is about bounties. Financially rewarding someone for injuring another, which gives more incentive for players to try and injure

I'm outraged by it, I expect the players to play a clean game and win on merit not by purposely taking out other players. I sure as hell do not accept financial rewards for doing so.

Maybe its time to let go of the last 100 years and move forward. I'm actually sickened by anyone who defends this practice.. there is no reason for financial rewards for injuries to other player NONE NOTTA ZIPPO, whether it was players or coaches or anyone
      Last edited by ddaryl; 03-09-2012, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• The Spaz
        • Mar 2003

I must have been playing sports all wrong because I never set out to intentionally hurt anyone. Sure injuries happen but to get paid to intentionally hurt someone and get them out of the game is beyond ****ed up.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
          Skoobasaurus-Rex
          • Oct 2011

It's seems demented that players would be financially rewarded to wreck other people's lives, it's society that allows behavior like this to occur & has no place in professional sports.

I can see giving your opponent a lick as well, just for the halibut.
          Last edited by Skooby; 03-09-2012, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• BillsFanInNM
            • Aug 2006

Hurting someone and injuring aren't exactly the same thing. The way I'm understanding the whole situation is they were out to INJURE the other players, not just hurt them. I'm totally for hurting the opposition, as in hitting hard and imposing your will on them.

Thats just my 2 cents.

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
              • Jan 2010

I think you want to hit a guy as hard as you can without hurting him. That is the difference. If you line up next to a guy and think to yourself I want to snap this guys leg in half then your a psycho. But if your thinking I want to knock the wind out of this guy so he feels it in the morning and remembers me then that is acceptable.

It is a very fine line but it shouldn't be crossed.

Injuries are a part of football but it shouldn't be the goal

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                • Mar 2004

How often do you see any player in the NFL doing something that looks like he's TRYING to injure an opponent? Not very. Like I said, it does happen, but it's not like the player doesn't get punished.

Having a bounty or not having one isn't going to change the way some dirty players play, and it's not going to make clean players play dirty just for a couple of hundred/thousand bucks.

Comment

• DasBills
                  • Sep 2011

I'm really torn on this topic. I understand the side that says "this is football, it's meant to be violent". But at the same time, I don't condone anyone intentionally looking to cause harm; so much so that another player is being carried off on a stretcher (which if you believe some reports, was the intent of the Saints). Few things in sports are more exciting than a perfectly executed hit, but the idea of doing whatever you can to take someone out of a game scares me.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                    • Mar 2004

Also, from the reports I read about the Saints, the bounties were for things like special teams tackles, Interceptions, etc.

Now, of course they didn't mention any about knocking guys out. Did they exist? probably. But is 1000, 5000 or even 10,000 (that's the most I saw reported as a bounty) worth it if you end up getting fined 25,000 and suspended a game? I don't know if players are that stupid.

Comment

• DasBills
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                      Also, from the reports I read about the Saints, the bounties were for things like special teams tackles, Interceptions, etc.

Now, of course they didn't mention any about knocking guys out. Did they exist? probably. But is 1000, 5000 or even 10,000 (that's the most I saw reported as a bounty) worth it if you end up getting fined 25,000 and suspended a game? I don't know if players are that stupid.
                      But would you be surprised?

Comment

• Historian
                        2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                        • Dec 2002

"Play tough...play hard...play clean." -Marv Levy

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                          Hall of Fame Zoner
                          • Jan 2010

here is the clear distinction- did greg williams say take cheap shots, ie at the knees...

if greg was simply saying knock the **** out of people and if you take them out, good job, here is a thousand for a great hit. i dont see a problem with that.

but if you are actually going at someones knees when they dont see you, yes that is wrong...

i have a feeling this is not about dirty play but rather reducing violence in football, which is bs...
                          Last edited by NOT THE DUDE...; 03-09-2012, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                            H to the 12:20
                            • Jul 2002

Do you think Wilfork got paid for his hit on JP?

Comment

• stuckincincy
                              Buffalo Bills Fan
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown
                              halibut.

It's Lent, so for me, it's Cod Almighty every Friday.
                              Last edited by stuckincincy; 03-09-2012, 01:09 PM.
                              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

Working...
                              X