Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I know one of the Targets!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think I know one of the Targets!

Just been thinking about it, who is a big name that fills a big need other than Mario and Jackson.

Answer............

Paul Soliai. Soliai is a huge Pro Bowl DT is still only 28 and fits Wandstadt's Defense perfectly. Wanny ALWAYS has a huge DT on his DL to stuff the run which frees everyone else to fly to the football. I think he is pushing hard for a guy like him.

He's 6'4 355. I think he makes a big splash!

Thanks
    Thanked 17,693 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: I think I know one of the Targets!

With Kyle Williams and Dareus already here?

I highly doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter

I highly doubt it.
    We haven't been able to stop the run for years. KW and Dareus are best when free to attack the backfield. Soliai frees them and makes for a much better rotation.

Wanny's D is based on stopping the run first and foremost. I see them getting Soliai in on first down with Dareus then using KW to get after the QB. Keeps everyone fresh and with Soliai our LBs will be flying.

is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner mikemac2001's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter

I highly doubt it.

Ya but running 3 DT on the line will cause a lot of problems

move dareus to outside or go smaller in passing situations

i understand the 3 DT idea but i would like a bigger splash

MUCK
    FIAMI

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't think you could be any more wrong.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HurkeyNuts
    I don't think you could be any more wrong.
    Maybe...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I would have no problem with that move. Having more depth on the defensive line can never be a bad thing. That stated, if signing another DT prevents them from adding a pass rusher, I'm against it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

i dont think so

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi
    Just been thinking about it, who is a big name that fills a big need other than Mario and Jackson.

Answer............

Paul Soliai. Soliai is a huge Pro Bowl DT is still only 28 and fits Wandstadt's Defense perfectly. Wanny ALWAYS has a huge DT on his DL to stuff the run which frees everyone else to fly to the football. I think he is pushing hard for a guy like him.

He's 6'4 355. I think he makes a big splash!
    That would be an excellent signing if they were sticking to a 3-4.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by EDS
    That would be an excellent signing if they were sticking to a 3-4.
    Not if you look at Wandstadt's defensive personnel history. Obviously I could be wrong but Soliai does fit what Wanny usually has and he would be considered high profile.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Even though Dareus is great at penetrating because of his freakish athleticism and power, he's like 340 something.

Dareus and Williams will force double teams. One or the other.

They couldn't stop the run because teams would just bounce it outside when they were a 3-4 scheme. They had no speed at OLB, and people would just get run around.

When they were a Tampa 2 team, they had one DT and one legit linebacker. Of course they couldn't stop the run, the reads were pass-run for anyone not on the front 4.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JCBills
    Even though Dareus is great at penetrating because of his freakish athleticism and power, he's like 340 something.

Dareus and Williams will force double teams. One or the other.

They couldn't stop the run because teams would just bounce it outside when they were a 3-4 scheme. They had no speed at OLB, and people would just get run around.

When they were a Tampa 2 team, they had one DT and one legit linebacker. Of course they couldn't stop the run, the reads were pass-run for anyone not on the front 4.
    I think teams were running inside and outside last year. We allowed over 180 on the ground on average or something.

Reggie Bush even ran inside on us... KW has always been questionable against the run. And yes Dareus is 330 but his talent is getting in the backfield and the Bills probably would rather have him shooting through than holding up double teams.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think teams were running inside and outside last year. We allowed over 180 on the ground on average or something.

Reggie Bush even ran inside on us... KW has always been questionable against the run. And yes Dareus is 330 but his talent is getting in the backfield and the Bills probably would rather have him shooting through than holding up double teams.
    What? Williams, as a penetrator, has been good if not great against the run.

He's so disruptive he either re-directs the runner or makes the play himself. That is why his tackle totals are so high for a DT, and he's led the league in that category.

Even metrically PFF has him as #1 overall DT in 2010 and #1 against the run. #11 overall in 2009.

Both of them are penetrators, Dareus just happens to be bigger. Teams will be forced to double one of them regardless.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Our problems against the run stem from our linebackers.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't think that Kyle Williams or Marcel Dareus have much to do with Buffalo's struggles in run defense. I think it has had a lot to do with talent level at outside linebacker, which in a 3-4 defense had a role similar to a 4-3 defensive end. I think it is at defensive end that Buffalo will focus their efforts at improving run defense, but they will also look at outside linebacker. I don't think that many will argue tthat they shouldn't be considered among Buffalo's most accute needs.

On the other hand, having both Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus on the field at the seem time does present Buffalo with an issue they at least have to think about. In one sense they are very different players. Dareus outweighs Kyle Williams by 30 lbs or so and has all kinds of advantages in terms of physical measurables. However, both players are at their best when penetrating and causing disruption. Put them both on the field at the same time, and just because of the way the game is played, Marcel Dareus is probably going to find his job is mostly about tying up as many blockers as he can so that other players can make plays. I'm not sure that signing Paul Soliai is the way to address the issue, then rotating Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus, but it is something that I suspect Dave Wannstedt is at least pondering.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JCBills
    What? Williams, as a penetrator, has been good if not great against the run.

He's so disruptive he either re-directs the runner or makes the play himself. That is why his tackle totals are so high for a DT, and he's led the league in that category.

Even metrically PFF has him as #1 overall DT in 2010 and #1 against the run. #11 overall in 2009.

Both of them are penetrators, Dareus just happens to be bigger. Teams will be forced to double one of them regardless.
    Exactly. Dareus was very good against the run as a penetrator. But that's just it, there was no one else to help him and although we all know KW is really good he has a deficiency in stuffing the run.

Like I said I could be wrong obviously but I think it makes sense just based on Wanny's history.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Exactly. Dareus was very good against the run as a penetrator. But that's just it, there was no one else to help him and although we all know KW is really good he has a deficiency in stuffing the run.

Like I said I could be wrong obviously but I think it makes sense just based on Wanny's history.
    While trend wise you're 100% right, how would they ever make it work rotationally?
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not if you look at Wandstadt's defensive personnel history. Obviously I could be wrong but Soliai does fit what Wanny usually has and he would be considered high profile.

Let's be honest though, Dave W. is not the long term answer as D-Co.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy
    While trend wise you're 100% right, how would they ever make it work rotationally?
    I would say on first down or short situations it's always Soliai and either Darues or KW. Then on second and long and third down you have KW and Dareus.

This keeps everyone fresh and attacking all day. Soliai requires a double which allows KW and Dareus to do what they do best. If its just KW and Dareus, Dareus gets the double and KW gets pushed out of the hole. Eventually we get tired and run D suffers and pass D suffers.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I would say on first down or short situations it's always Soliai and either Darues or KW. Then on second and long and third down you have KW and Dareus.

This keeps everyone fresh and attacking all day. Soliai requires a double which allows KW and Dareus to do what they do best. If its just KW and Dareus, Dareus gets the double and KW gets pushed out of the hole. Eventually we get tired and run D suffers and pass D suffers.
    You're locking up a ton of money in two down players then.