• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chernobylwraiths
    • Jan 2003

Re: Wild Card:

Originally posted by utmhead
    its not 5001, what if the the highest bid is 30 k, why bid 30001 then someone can top that, you have to bid almost 5 or 10 k more than the high just to make sure you get the girl you really want. IMO
    That's the chance you take. Regardless, you will lose the 5000. The only thing that would happen because of this is that people will hold their bids longer till that last hour. Of course there is a greater chance of forgetting to bid in those situations. AND it is a bit of a negative to all our posters overseas who are usually only on in the morning. Just saying.

Comment

• BLeonard
      BoB Sabermetrician
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by utmhead
      its not 5001, what if the the highest bid is 30 k, why bid 30001 then someone can top that, you have to bid almost 5 or 10 k more than the high just to make sure you get the girl you really want. IMO
      Pretty sure what TD is saying is that it will at least cost you $5001 more...

Say the high bid is $30k... You pay 5k to find out the high bid, then bid $30,001... At that stage, you've paid $35,001 for the card, assuming you win and nobody bid more then $30k in the remaining time.

Like you said, yeah, you probanly want to bid more than that $30,001 to give yourself more of a buffer. But, at minimum, you'd be paying $5001 more than the high bidder at the time in order to win.

-Bill

Comment

• The King
        Without me it's just Awe so
        • Jun 2004

It's a gamble that's why it has a cost. You only have one so use it wisely, and if you miss it's gone and you're out 5K, I just want people to think twice about using it.

It also creates some strategy. Other people can bid high and drive wild cards and ZB's away from posters.
        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
        It was all
        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• The King
          Without me it's just Awe so
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
          That's the chance you take. Regardless, you will lose the 5000. The only thing that would happen because of this is that people will hold their bids longer till that last hour. Of course there is a greater chance of forgetting to bid in those situations. AND it is a bit of a negative to all our posters overseas who are usually only on in the morning. Just saying.
          Exactly!!!
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
          He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
          mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by King Bedard
            It's a gamble that's why it has a cost. You only have one so use it wisely, and if you miss it's gone and you're out 5K, I just want people to think twice about using it.

It also creates some strategy. Other people can bid high and drive wild cards and ZB's away from posters.
            Add more intrigue. Let each zoner have a "sealed bid" for 3K so that nobody can know what was bid for that auction. When a wild card offer comes in, you will just say that the second high bid is X but there is a sealed bid in the auction that I can't say is either higher or lower. That adds even more strategy.

Comment

• BLeonard
              BoB Sabermetrician
              • Jan 2003

Add more intrigue. Let each zoner have a "sealed bid" for 3K so that nobody can know what was bid for that auction. When a wild card offer comes in, you will just say that the second high bid is X but there is a sealed bid in the auction that I can't say is either higher or lower. That adds even more strategy.
              Cool idea, but could become a major pain in the ass to keep track of... Who has what types of bids remaining.

-Bill

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by BLeonard
                Cool idea, but could become a major pain in the ass to keep track of... Who has what types of bids remaining.

-Bill
                It's the reason I think Bedard should get a cronie.

Comment

• BLeonard
                  BoB Sabermetrician
                  • Jan 2003

It's the reason I think Bedard should get a cronie.
                  That's the thing, though... The "cronie" wouldn't know if a person used a "Wild Card" or a "Sealed Bid" unless Bedard told them... That would also give that person an advantage, knowing who has and hasn't used them.

My guess is, Bedard wasn'tt planning on telling everyone who or when the Wild Card option was used. Keeps the mystery of "How many people still have it?"

-Bill

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                    • Jan 2003

maybe, but you know how that can easily be tracked.

Comment

• BLeonard
                      BoB Sabermetrician
                      • Jan 2003

maybe, but you know how that can easily be tracked.
                      How easily what could be tracked?

What I'm saying is, when someone uses their "Wild Card" I don't think Bedard had any intentiones to announce that a person (or persons) are using it. Meaning, unless someone comes out and says "I used my WC," there's no way of anyone else knowing when (or if) they used it. Hell, a person could even claim to use it on a day, when they really didn't.

From what I'm understanding, use of the Wild Card would basically be between the user and Bedard:

1: User donates money to Bedard, likely with "Wild Card" or something similar in the donation title.

2: Bedard PM's that person the current high bid

3: User then bids accordingly, elects not to top the bid, or says to themselves "Dammit, I don't have enough to win"

Nobody else would know when it was used, or who used it. Making it pretty much impossible to track...

-Bill
                      Last edited by BLeonard; 04-04-2012, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                        • Jan 2003

How easily what could be tracked?

What I'm saying is, when someone uses their "Wild Card" I don't think Bedard had any intentiones to announce that a person (or persons) are using it. Meaning, unless someone comes out and says "I used my WC," there's no way of anyone else knowing when (or if) they used it. Hell, a person could even claim to use it on a day, when they really didn't.

From what I'm understanding, use of the Wild Card would basically be between the user and Bedard:

1: User donates money to Bedard, likely with "Wild Card" or something similar in the donation title.

2: Bedard PM's that person the current high bid

3: User then bids accordingly, elects not to top the bid, or says to themselves "Dammit, I don't have enough to win"

Nobody else would know when it was used, or who used it. Making it pretty much impossible to track...

-Bill
                        You mean one couldn't look up donate, item history to see when someone donates Bedard 5000?

Comment

• BLeonard
                          BoB Sabermetrician
                          • Jan 2003

You mean one couldn't look up donate, item history to see when someone donates Bedard 5000?
                          Well, I guess they could now, that you had to blab about it...

You don't really grasp the concept of a "competitive advantage," do you??

-Bill

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                            • Jan 2003

Well, I guess they could now, that you had to blab about it...

You don't really grasp the concept of a "competitive advantage," do you??

-Bill
                            Well, I wasn't going to, but you seemed to be questioning my knowledge on this and I had to correct you. You should have just let it drop.

Besides, I have Scarlett, Salma, Alyssa and Charlize on my team. Right now, I think everyone else has a competitive disadvantage.

Comment

• FancyPats
                              Bedardi Trophy Winner
                              • Sep 2007

I don't see how this helps someone with $50k ZB, me for example, compete against someone who has hundreds of thousands, like Mski. He came by his ZB fair and square, but for the purposes of this game, there is no reason he cant put down a 50k bid on every lady.

So, nothing is really equalized. I can pay 5k zb to see a bid that I cant possibly match? Thats not helpful. I'd say, save yourself the trouble, King. It doesnt even the playing field.

Comment

• BLeonard
                                BoB Sabermetrician
                                • Jan 2003

Besides, I have Scarlett, Salma, Alyssa and Charlize on my team. Right now, I think everyone else has a competitive disadvantage.
                                Funny how you only mention 4 of your 7 cards...

My guess is, Stratton will be pulling one of those from you and you're running low on funds as well... Wouldn't get too cocky just yet.

-Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X