• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

My thoughts on the luncheon

1) Nix pretty much laid it out there that Hairston is likely penciled in as our starter. I don't get the feel that we will take a tackle at 10. I also didn't get a great feel that we like Reiff on the left. Nor were we real high on Glenn at OT. I did get a sense we like Martin but not as much as I would have thought.

2) Interesting comments on Floyd. Real low key. Whaleys smirk was interesting. I think we have a real shot to take him.

3) At 10 Nix wants a difference maker, play maker, impact guy... Now we can read into that any way we like and I'm sure a few will argue OT fits that. But if the grades are the same, I think a CB or WR or even LB would be the pick of a OT... Especially considering how he argued that the offense is setup such that we run so many empty sets and if the rush 6, Fitz better expect to get hit in the mouth. My point is that again I don't think the Bills feel upgarding the LT would do as much for our results as upgrading WR, CB or even LB would.

4) Very significant comments on CB. Interesting that he said guys in those positions... seemed to imply S is an area were thinking... not only CB. But then he was pretty clear that Florence being older, McKelvin being an impending FA, and McGee's injuries make our need at CB significant. Nix then added that we could always use a shut down guy. And then even talked to how important top notch depth is. I think the chances of a CB at 10 are very significant and may be the highest in likelihood.

All of this is just my take of course.

But here's my take away top 5 from most likely to least likely for the Bills at 10:

1) Dre Kirkpatrick
    2) Michael Floyd
    3) Luke Kuechly
    4) Johnathan Martin
    5) Cordy Glenn

• Cali512
    • Jan 2012

Re: My thoughts on the luncheon

Originally posted by X-Era
    1) Nix pretty much laid it out there that Hairston is likely penciled in as our starter. I don't get the feel that we will take a tackle at 10. I also didn't get a great feel that we like Reiff on the left. Nor were we real high on Glenn at OT. I did get a sense we like Martin but not as much as I would have thought.

2) Interesting comments on Floyd. Real low key. Whaleys smirk was interesting. I think we have a real shot to take him.

3) At 10 Nix wants a difference maker, play maker, impact guy... Now we can read into that any way we like and I'm sure a few will argue OT fits that. But if the grades are the same, I think a CB or WR or even LB would be the pick of a OT... Especially considering how he argued that the offense is setup such that we run so many empty sets and if the rush 6, Fitz better expect to get hit in the mouth. My point is that again I don't think the Bills feel upgarding the LT would do as much for our results as upgrading WR, CB or even LB would.

4) Very significant comments on CB. Interesting that he said guys in those positions... seemed to imply S is an area were thinking... not only CB. But then he was pretty clear that Florence being older, McKelvin being an impending FA, and McGee's injuries make our need at CB significant. Nix then added that we could always use a shut down guy. And then even talked to how important top notch depth is. I think the chances of a CB at 10 are very significant and may be the highest in likelihood.

All of this is just my take of course.

But here's my take away top 5 from most likely to least likely for the Bills at 10:

1) Dre Kirkpatrick
    2) Michael Floyd
    3) Luke Kuechly
    4) Johnathan Martin
    5) Cordy Glenn

Floyd is arguably the best WR in the draft and he would "slip" to us by alot of accounts. Dre is a 10-20 pick, Floyd is top 10 material, and lastly, Dres not even the 2nd best at his position, let alone a 10 pick on him
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

Floyd makes sense as a playmaker, the rest just help the play be made.

Comment

• The Jokeman
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown
        Floyd makes sense as a playmaker, the rest just help the play be made.
        but how many rookie WRs prove to be playmakers week in week out? Very few as most WRs take a good three years before they reach their full potential to make it in the NFL. So get the guys that help us make plays (see Reiff) and develop someone later. Say what you want but our current offensive playmakers have all been low/undrafted guys if look at Fitz, Jackson and Stevie and moreso if lump in David Nelson which is a credit to Gailey at getting the most out of his skilled position guys.

Comment

• X-Era
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by The Jokeman
          but how many rookie WRs prove to be playmakers week in week out? Very few as most WRs take a good three years before they reach their full potential to make it in the NFL. So get the guys that help us make plays (see Reiff) and develop someone later. Say what you want but our current offensive playmakers have all been low/undrafted guys if look at Fitz, Jackson and Stevie and moreso if lump in David Nelson which is a credit to Gailey at getting the most out of his skilled position guys.
          I think it depends on who it is and how quickly the team plays that player. Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Julio Jones, and AJ Green are just a few that had early success due to being thrust into the line up early. If Floyd was our pick I think he would have a real good shot to start at #2 in his rookie year and our offense will get him the ball often, albeit on shorter routes most likely. Our offense may be very friendly to developing young guys since we spread the ball around so much and don't need to rely as heavily on our #1 or #2. Hell even David Nelson as an undrafted rookie had significant success out of the slot.
          Last edited by X-Era; 04-18-2012, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• X-Era
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Cali512
            Floyd is arguably the best WR in the draft and he would "slip" to us by alot of accounts. Dre is a 10-20 pick, Floyd is top 10 material, and lastly, Dres not even the 2nd best at his position, let alone a 10 pick on him
            I understand the Gilmore love... I do. And I like him a lot too. But, Dre is a more rugged, proven, and more solid player right now. Dre is the kind of CB you can trust from day one. Gilmore may be the better athlete and may have higher upside. But Dre is the guy I'd trust earliest to cover on an island.

Comment

• The Jokeman
              • Dec 2003

I think it depends on who it is and how quickly the team plays that player. Calvin Johnson, AJ Green are just a few that had early success due to being thrust into the line up early. If Floyd was our pick I think he would have a real good shot to start at #2 in his rookie year and our offense will get him the ball often, albeit on shorter routes most likely. Our offense may be very friendly to developing young guys since we spread the ball around so much and don't need to rely as heavily on our #1 or #2. Hell even David Nelson as an undrafted rookie had significant success out of the slot.
              Nelson was in his 2nd year last year. Yet for every Calvin Johnson and AJ Green you could name a Ted Ginn Jr, Craig Davis or Jonathan Baldwin. If want to fight numbers you can look back Megatron only had 48 catches and 756 yards and 4 TDs as a rookie.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                • Dec 2003

I understand the Gilmore love... I do. And I like him a lot too. But, Dre is a more rugged, proven, and more solid player right now. Dre is the kind of CB you can trust from day one. Gilmore may be the better athlete and may have higher upside. But Dre is the guy I'd trust earliest to cover on an island.
                We don't need a CB to trust from day one with Florence, McGee and Aaron Williams likely ahead of him on the depth chart. To me if we go CB in Round 1 and it's not MoClay than you have to think it's Gilmore. Yet think rather go the 2001 approach and trade down and get "Nate Clements" later than sooner, assuming we can find a trade partner.

Comment

• baalworship
                  • May 2003

Bills all about Floyd. Big, physical, body control, upside. 4 positive adjectives in a very brief statement by Cook after Buddy refused to say anything.

Comment

• X-Era
                    • Feb 2005

Nelson was in his 2nd year last year. Yet for every Calvin Johnson and AJ Green you could name a Ted Ginn Jr, Craig Davis or Jonathan Baldwin. If want to fight numbers you can look back Megatron only had 48 catches and 756 yards and 4 TDs as a rookie.
                    756 yards wouldn't help us as our #2? You realize that would mean more yards than any WR not named Johnson on our current squad last year right?

And I'm not arguing the bust potential... it's there at all positions and you always have that risk. I'm simply replying to the notion that a rookie WR can't or even usually doesn't make a significant impact on your team as a rookie... I gave examples where that wasn't the case and it's really not that rare for it to happen.

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

They played to an audience and said nothing,in a lot of words.

It's that time of year when poker is the game of choice.

We have ZERO idea of their intentions.
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• X-Era
                        • Feb 2005

We don't need a CB to trust from day one with Florence, McGee and Aaron Williams likely ahead of him on the depth chart. To me if we go CB in Round 1 and it's not MoClay than you have to think it's Gilmore. Yet think rather go the 2001 approach and trade down and get "Nate Clements" later than sooner, assuming we can find a trade partner.
                        Very possible. I'd actually prefer a trade down for either Dre or Gilmore personally. I think the value is better in the teen's for us if we go with either. I think Floyd is very much worth the 10 pick though and represents better value than either of those two CB's at 10.

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Night Train
                          They played to an audience and said nothing,in a lot of words.

It's that time of year when poker is the game of choice.

We have ZERO knowledge of their intentions.
                          Fixed it for ya.

We have plenty of ideas... most are probably wrong.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                            • Dec 2003

756 yards wouldn't help us as our #2? You realize that would mean more yards than any WR not named Johnson on our current squad last year right?

And I'm not arguing the bust potential... it's there at all positions and you always have that risk. I'm simply replying to the notion that a rookie WR can't or even usually doesn't make a significant impact on your team as a rookie... I gave examples where that wasn't the case and it's really not that rare for it to happen.
                            I won't deny it would but let's not forget that Megatron produced that under Mike Martz and was only good enough for 3rd on his team. I'm just in the opinion you build your team with better players upfront that the skill guys don't have to be as skilled to excel.

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

I won't deny it would but let's not forget that Megatron produced that under Mike Martz and was only good enough for 3rd on his team. I'm just in the opinion you build your team with better players upfront that the skill guys don't have to be as skilled to excel.
                              I do not disagree with your plan to make us better. I only feel we ought to be landing a much more sure fire stud at LT at 10... which is another way of saying I'm not against a LT at 10, but none of the guys likely available there look worthy enough of the 10 pick. My choice would be Martin.

But again let me be clear I'd be fine if we took Martin at 10... just not my favorite move.

Comment

Working...
                              X