Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trading Lynch + Evans =...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,431 Times in 2,008 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Trading Lynch + Evans =...

So we ended up trading Lynch for a 4th in 2011 and a 5th in 2012, and Evans for a 4th in 2012. Now that the draft is over what do you think of the players we got? Do you like the trades?

Lynch = OT Chris Hairston and LB Tank Carder

Evans = CB Ron Brooks

Obviously we can't fairly evaluate the trades until these guys play for a few years, but as of right now how do you feel?
    Last edited by Ed; 05-01-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Trading Lynch + Evans =...

Like you said, only time will tell. I didn't like the Evans trade at first (like most people), but I'm psyched to have Ron Brooks. It still sucks to see Lynch tearing it up in Seattle, though...not gonna lie. Hopefully Tank and Chris reach their potential.
    Oh no!...We suck again!

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Better than I thought I would. I was a big Evans' fan, but he seems to be on the downside of his career and Brooks has tons of potential.

I'm not sure we did as well with Lynch, but his leaving gave Freddy a chance to shine, and CJ is coming on. Hairston and Carder are possible starters, so I think we did pretty well. Plus, we no longer have to put up with Marshawn's thuggery.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,215 Times in 3,684 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Addition by subtraction.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,668 Times in 17,515 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'll take it.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I would have rather kept Lynch, I was sad to see him go.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I liked both guys, but I like most Bills. I didn't like seeing them go, and I thought we were fleeced on the deals at the time. Nix is as good of a GM as there is in the NFL. I think he made the right moves, and we might end up grateful for his tenure for a long time.

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Lynch trade was awful, I hated it. I think we wasted a 1st round pick on Spiller when we should've kept Lynch. We could've had Pierre Paul instead with our 1st round pick. The real question for that trade is this..Who would you rather have?

Lynch + Pierre Paul (or other 1st rounder)

or

CJ Spiller, Chris Hairston and Tank Carder.
    Last edited by Joe Fo Sho; 04-30-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Sab and TD are insignificant ublinkwescore's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

? How was it possible tohave both lynch and pierre-paul?
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho
    The Lynch trade was awful, I hated it. I think we wasted a 1st round pick on Spiller when we should've kept Lynch. We could've had Pierre Paul instead with our 1st round pick. The real question for that trade is this..Who would you rather have?

Lynch + Pierre Paul (or other 1st rounder)

or

CJ Spiller, Chris Hairston and Tank Carder.
    JPP was considered a very raw prospect. We were also trying to transition to a 3-4 defense at the time. The whole we could have had JPP only sounds good because of what he has become. Much like any other player that made it in the league that was taken after our pick.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bangarang
    JPP was considered a very raw prospect. We were also trying to transition to a 3-4 defense at the time. The whole we could have had JPP only sounds good because of what he has become. Much like any other player that made it in the league that was taken after our pick.
    Right, I just used that as an example. In my mind, it's still a question of whether I'd be happier with Lynch and a 1st round pick, or Spiller and a 4th and 5th round pick. I'd take Lynch.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ublinkwescore
    I'm assuming the writing was on the wall when we drafted Spiller. Nix knew he was going to trade Lynch.

So instead of Spiller, I think we should've kept Lynch and used our 1st rounder on a position of need, whether it be Pierre Paul or otherwise.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ublinkwescore
    Easy instead of drafting Spiller we draft Pierre-Paul and because we don't have Spiller we keep Lynch.

Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER NOT THE DUDE...'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman
    Easy instead of drafting Spiller we draft Pierre-Paul and because we don't have Spiller we keep Lynch.

thats totally unrealistic being that jpp was a total project who had little game tape and little produciton. he was a combine star who flashed... ie fear of another maybin...

with our recent history, nix had to make sure the pick counted, so he took a cant miss prospect in spiller...

i cant blame him..

Registered User Extremebillsfan247's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    So we ended up trading Lynch for a 4th in 2010 and a 5th in 2011, and Evans for a 4th in 2011. Now that the draft is over what do you think of the players we got? Do you like the trades?

Evans = CB Ron Brooks

Obviously we can't fairly evaluate the trades until these guys play for a few years, but as of right now how do you feel?
    This line says it all "Obviously we can't fairly evaluate the trades until these guys play for a few years".

Historically 4th and 5th rounders don't do well on this team. Only a small handful even make the team. In 2003 there was Terrence McGee, 111th pick overall, who remains 1 of only 2 Bills from that entire draft class still on the team. The other is Kelsay who went 46th overall in the 2nd. Kyle Williams 5th rounder 134th pick overall, is the last remaining player of that Bills draft class. Those are the exceptions. Reggie Corner, drafted in the 4th, 114th overall in 2008, might not make the Bills roster in 2012. In 2010 the Bills drafted Marcus Easley the 107th pick overall is on his last legs here. If he doesn't produce this year, he is done as a Bill just 2 seasons after being drafted.

The list of Bills players who were drafted in the 4th and 5th rounds since 2003 that are no longer a part of the team are as follows.

Sam Aiken
    Ben Sobieski
    Tim Euhus
    Duke Preston
    Eric King
    Ko Simpson
    Brad Butler
    Dwayne Wright
    Derek Fine
    Alvin Bowen
    Shawn Nelson
    Nic Harris
    Ed Wang

If I missed anybody feel free to add to the list.

Anyway, I thought those stats were interesting, so I dropped them here to add a little bit of realism to the quote for those who may doubt it's legitimacy.
    Last edited by Extremebillsfan247; 05-01-2012 at 05:43 AM.

Registered User chernobylwraiths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    So we ended up trading Lynch for a 4th in 2010 and a 5th in 2011, and Evans for a 4th in 2011. Now that the draft is over what do you think of the players we got? Do you like the trades?

Evans = CB Ron Brooks

I think you have to add a year to those trades since two of them were drafted this year.

I like the trade with Seattle. Lynch had about worn out his welcome in Buffalo with his being suspended and the hit and run as well as other minor "infractions" whether attributed to him rightly or wrongly. It's disingenuine to go back and say it was a bad trade because he has somewhat blossomed in Seattle since people were starting to hate him in Buffalo. I would be willing to bet his career doesn't last more than 3 years longer considering his running style (which I like) isn't conducive to a lengthy career.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,488 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Lynch was a connundrum to me. He has those brilliant "beast" flashes once in a blue moon, but he could never get the tough yards or reliably find the holes every down. I'm not sure we're worse off without him.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MARCELL DAREUS POWER
    thats totally unrealistic being that jpp was a total project who had little game tape and little produciton. he was a combine star who flashed... ie fear of another maybin...

with our recent history, nix had to make sure the pick counted, so he took a cant miss prospect in spiller...

i cant blame him..
    Even if we didn't take JPP, there were lots of other guys who would have filled holes at that spot:

JPP
    Dez Bryant
    Demaryius Thomas (the guy I wanted)
    Earl Thomas

I'd rather have Freddy, Lynch and any one of those 4, than Freddy, Spiller a backup OT (Hairston) and a backup CB.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,431 Times in 2,008 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I personally like the trades. I hated the Evans trade at the time, but he was one of my favorite players so it was more of an emotional thing. It was a tough business decision, but I think they made the right call. I'm sure Baltimore would have loved to have that pick back. I'm also really intrigued by Brooks.

I figured there would be people that still don't like the Lynch trade, but the reality is even if we hadn't traded him he still wouldn't be on the team this year. Lynch would have been a free agent this offseason and would have left on his own anyway and the Bills probably wouldn't have tried to stop him. Fred Jackson proved to be the better overall player while Lynch was here and he would have continued to get more carries than him last season too. So to me, the production we would have gotten from Lynch over the last 1 1/2 years doesn't really compare to the value of having Hairston and Carder on the team going forward.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Let's examine the last 2 seasons for each player

ML - 487 Carries - 1,941 Yards - 4.0 Y/C - .036 TD's/C - .21 FD's/C
    CJ - 181 Carries - 844 Yards - 4.7 Y/C - .022 TD's/C -.20 FD's/C

ML - 50 Catches - 357 Yards - 7.1 Y/C - .020 TD's/C - .26 FD's/C
    CJ - 63 Catches - 426 Yards - 6.8 Y/C - .048 TD's/C - .38 FD's/C

ML - 537 Touches - 2,298 Yards - 4.3 Y/T - .035 TD's/T - .21 FD's/T
    CJ - 244 Touches - 1,270 Yards - 5.2 Y/T - .029 TD's/T - .25 FD's/T

My conclusion... Even though ML has way more than doubled CJ's carries and touches, CJ exceeds ML in almost every average.

I'd rather have CJ + 4th + 5th + his upside + FJ's emergence over ML + 1st.
    Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 05-01-2012 at 11:06 AM.