• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

A few post-game comments

First of all, I've only watched the first half so far. I know their backups/future cuts lit up ours in the 2nd half, but I'm not overly concerned about that.

-Other team's "vanilla" offenses that "don't game plan" seem to have little trouble moving the ball against our starting D. I saw a lot of Kelsay and Edwards on the drive where they scored the FG, so I won't count that against the starting D, but the starters were in for the majority of the TD drive and they were all in on the TD play I believe. Basically, the starting D has given up TD's in 2 of 5 drives so far, both against inexperienced QB's.

-The DL was decent, registering a couple of sacks, and I like the safeties (watch out for 36 Howell), but the LB's and the CB's on this team leave a lot to be desired. McKelvin forced a fumble, but only because he got beat on a simple cut to the inside that allowed the WR to get to the ball. Aaron Williams was beat deep but was only saved by the receiver being a half step out of bounds when he caught the ball.

-It was nice to see the 1st team offense score, but 3 of the Vikings' starters on the DL were out of the game for the entire TD drive (The Williams brothers and Jared Allen). Fitz was under literally NO pressure on the TD play. Once again, it's better to see them score than struggle as bad as they did last week, but the situation did seem somewhat artificial.

-I know it's preseason and the team isn't going to show their playbook, but the offense was EXTREMELY predictable. If Chandler lined up on the LOS, it was a pass. If he was behind the LOS, it was a run. Every single time. I'm trying not to read too much into it since it is preseason, but it did invoke nightmares of some of the horrifically predictable offenses we had under Jauron.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: A few post-game comments

I noted that our DB's do a horrendous job getting off blocks v. screen passes.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Mindbender
      • Apr 2010

I'm not an xs and os guys by any means...how vanilla was the Vikings offense? Seemed more complicated than ours.
      "Talk is cheap, we all know that. It's like I've always said, don't tell me about the labor pains, just show me the baby. That's what we've got to do. We've got to show you the baby, and the baby is winning." ~Buddy Nix

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mindbender View Post
        I'm not an xs and os guys by any means...how vanilla was the Vikings offense? Seemed more complicated than ours.
        Not much play-action or double moves in the routes. Most of it was short under neath stuff with some screens that I saw. I didnt pay a ton of attention to it though since I was grading our OT's instead.

Their OL looked like crap v. Williams and Dareus though.
        COMING SOON...

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mindbender View Post
          That's a good question.... I'd have to go back and watch again. I was concentrating on who was on the field for our D and how they were playing so I wasn't really paying attention to their complexity.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
            • Jan 2003

I'm a little worried about our linebackers, they have to cover the underneath stuff and be the ones picking up on delayed draws and running plays.

Not as much worried about the offense short of hoping the Oline can come together and be healthy by the opener.

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
              Will not tolerate vandalism.
              • Apr 2006

The linebackers stunk. As did the wide receivers, who couldn't get open if their lives depended on it.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                Skoobasaurus-Rex
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                That's a good question.... I'd have to go back and watch again. I was concentrating on who was on the field for our D and how they were playing so I wasn't really paying attention to their complexity.
                Vikings game-planned for broke, they're were just 3-13 so they sorta have to show some go. I still don't like showing up to fail but it's Pre-season & no one got hurt.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                  Vikings game-planned for broke, they're were just 3-13 so they sorta have to show some go. I still don't like showing up to fail but it's Pre-season & no one got hurt.
                  Huh?
                  COMING SOON...

Comment

• cookie G
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                    I noted that our DB's do a horrendous job getting off blocks v. screen passes.
                    The Bryan Scott experiment at LB wasn't going too well. On the screen to Harvin, he took a really bad angle and Harvin blew by him. It was worthy of Donte Whitner. What should have been a 5 yard gain turned out to be a 30 yard gain. On another play, a long run by TG, Scott ran around an OL, creating a huge hole which TG walked through.

There was a lot of one or two guys failing to do his job and causing the big play.

If Williams turns the right way, the 35 yard completion is knocked away.
                    If Byrd doesn't try to submarine Simpson, its a 6 yard gain;
                    If Scott takes the right angle, Harvin doesn't have a 30 yard screen pass.
                    If Scott fills a hole, it is a 3-4 yard gain.

They really weren't getting outplayed, or run over, but the little things were crushing them.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                      Dances With Buffaloes
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths View Post
                      I'm a little worried about our linebackers, they have to cover the underneath stuff and be the ones picking up on delayed draws and running plays
                      post of the thread right here. I saw the same problem with the LBers. They're scaring me right now.
                      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                        post of the thread right here. I saw the same problem with the LBers. They're scaring me right now.
                        Good to see you posting again.
                        COMING SOON...

Comment

• Ingtar33
                          Dances With Buffaloes
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                          Good to see you posting again.
                          thanks

It's crazy how fast time flew this past year.
                          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

Minny ran a lot of 2-3 step drops, getting the ball out fast on quick slants. Like many here, I saw 2 things.

1. LB's acted completely surprised they had to cover the middle that was wide open. Reacted poorly.
                            2. Safties were way too deep despite Minny continually showing the quick slants and were slow to adjust.

Wanny needs to line them up better. Teams will try to nullify our outside rush with quick hitters and he needs to move his players around quicker.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                              Minny ran a lot of 2-3 step drops, getting the ball out fast on quick slants. Like many here, I saw 2 things.

1. LB's acted completely surprised they had to cover the middle that was wide open. Reacted poorly.
                              2. Safties were way too deep despite Minny continually showing the quick slants and were slow to adjust.

Wanny needs to line them up better. Teams will try to nullify our outside rush with quick hitters and he needs to move his players around quicker.
                              The deep safeties is something you're going to see all year long. Wanny's defensive scheme calls for the safeties to play deep as he would rather give up the underneath stuff than a deep ball.

He's very much a classic Cover 2 guy with some variations.
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X