Thread: Bang or Bucks

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bang or Bucks

I will bring BorB back as soon as we have the ZB's back. And since we've lost so much time I think it might be best to start fresh. I also want to take some of the responsibility off me.
    So the auction style of the game will go on. Except it will be tweaked. No more PM's all auctions will be public, I will post the girl and the starting bid. Then you guys go nuts, the last bid registered at :59 wins per usual. I will also throw some storage bins in the mix but I will setting prices on those as well.

Also. anyone interested in being my photoshop jockey? I dont have the time to create the cards anymore, anyone looking to take that on can PM me.

Welcome back.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,468 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bang or Bucks

I would suggest pming BLeonard...he was always very receptive to helping out, and he's pretty good with the cards.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 944 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I have no problem doing the cards up... The only thing I would need from you would be the "frame" that you would want me to use. Or, if you want me to come up with something, I'd just need the card dimensions you're looking for. I think the first "season" was 100x150 while this past "season" was 120x150.

While I'm posting, I'll throw in a couple of thoughts...

First, I really think we should go back to having a hard cap for spending. Reason being, it seemed (at least to me) WAY too easy to manipulate the Zonebucks to give players an advantage. If you really want to use Zonebucks, I would suggest at least some cap on what players can get, to prevent any major exploits. Personally, I'd rather just see us track spending without using ZB at all... So much that I'm willing to volunteer to be the "bookkeeper" on how much has been spent by each player... Everyone that has played before knows that I'll likely be keeping track anyway... :)

I personally don't have an issue with all of the bidding being public, the only issue I forsee is, if all of the auctions end at a set time (let's say, for example, 5PM) if people aren't ablle to be online at that time, they are kind of handicapped, because most people (I would think) would be trying for the last second bid to snipe the cards. What I would suggest is auctioning of multiple girls per day, with the bids on them being at different timeframes. For example:

Girl 1: 8AM - 4PM
    Girl 2: 4PM - 12AM
    Girl 3: 12AM - 8AM

That way, in theory, at least one girl will be "in play" no matter what hours the players keep.

Just a couple thoughts, like I said, but again, if you need someone to do the cards (and track spending) I can do both. Again, I just need the cardframe you want to use or the card dimensions, if you want me to create the frame.

-Bill

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I like those suggestions but adding3 cards is a bit of over kill... I'll think about that further.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The King View Post
    I like those suggestions but adding3 cards is a bit of over kill... I'll think about that further.
    You could do two a day and omit the 12-8AM block, or have 2 12-hour bidding periods (8AM-8PM, then 8PM to 8AM)... Was just thinking of a way to make it fair for everyone, regardless of what time of day they are on...

The thought would be, you would post all three girls up for bid at the start of the day. So, the first post in the daily thread would be something like:

8AM-4PM - Anna Kournikova - $30k starting bid
    4PM-12AM - Katy Perry - $50k starting bid
    12AM-8AM - Jenny McCarthy - $20k starting bid

That way, you only have to create one thread and players would know that, if they wanted to bid on Katy Perry, they probably want to be on close to midnight, as that's when the auction ends...

If you REALLY wanted to put a risk in the "sniper bidding," if someone misses the deadline, their bid counts on the next girl... So, if someone bids $75K on Katy Perry, but the post is at 12:00, not only do they miss out on Katy, they just put down a $75K bid on McCarthy...

Finally, regarding overkill... If I'm the one making the cards (and tracking the spending, if needed) it's not really putting anymore work on you... If anything, it puts more work on me... :)

-Bill

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Very true, but it does drain the talent pool quite a bit.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The King View Post
    Very true, but it does drain the talent pool quite a bit.
    You don't have to put three major stars up every day... Put 1 "big name" up along with 2 "lesser known" names... Rotate the time slot that the "big name" is up.

I'm also pretty sure that, if needed, players could offer up suggestions... I know for a fact that I could... I assume others have been wanting to see some of their favorites up for bid as well...

-Bill