Thread: Mario Williams is "Fools Gold"

Thanks
    Thanked 24,425 Times in 14,144 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Mario Williams is "Fools Gold"

Scheme.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,911 Times in 5,303 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SquishDaFish View Post
    Man I would like to see you play football Coast. See what you say then LOL
    I didn't play football growing up.

I played hockey... half the time with one arm hanging out of its socket. I left everything I had out on the ice every time i played and didn't stop until I lost my medical clearance to play because of my shoulder.

Mario is a butt-****ing quitter.

I never was.

what else do u have?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Scheme.
    Did u watch him today?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    Did u watch him today?
    I did and I have two points;

1. He's not 100% or really all that close and I dont know if that's the injury or a lack of conditioning
    2. Our scheme is not built for his style

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

1. He's not 100% or really all that close and I dont know if that's the injury or a lack of conditioning
    if you're a defensive linemen in the NFL... my guess is your always injured.

so we spent $100 million on someone who doesn't fit what we want to do? Either that or we spent $100 million and refuse to put him in a position to succeed?!

either way... Dysfunctional organization and a scam on Ralph's part to show his fan (revenue) base that they're committed.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    if you're a defensive linemen in the NFL... my guess is your always injured.

so we spent $100 million on someone who doesn't fit what we want to do? Either that or we spent $100 million and refuse to put him in a position to succeed?!

either way... Dysfunctional organization and a scam on Ralph's part to show his fan (revenue) base that they're committed.
    1-Well yes always nicked up but this is different something is not right, and its not his lack of stats, just watching him he doesn't look 100%

2-No I agree, while I love the signing why you bring Mario into a scheme that calls for the DE's to get up field and have no concern for gap responsibility is beyond me. He's not a Julius Peppers like freak in terms of speed and burst. He's a power guy who can beat the RT with his athleticism. Our scheme doesn't allow him to do what he does best.

7. Post thanked by:

coastal (09-30-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The whole line was slow off the snap yesterday, including MW. The difference I saw was that the rest of the line usually appeared to try on most plays. On most plays I watched MW take a step or two, stand up, and watch the play go by.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The scheme excuse makes no sense to be honest. He is a DE in a 4-3 playing the same position he played in college. He needs to beat the OT and pressure the QB. No matter what the scheme he has to do that. And he isn't.

Scheme has ZERO to do with it. And its irrelevant because he is playing DE in a 4-3 which is what he knows.

All that being said, he is definitely playing hurt. You can see that his left wrist is padded and heavily taped. He is probably having difficulty pushing off and disengaging.

Apparently he injured it in pre-season.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi View Post
    The scheme excuse makes no sense to be honest. He is a DE in a 4-3 playing the same position he played in college. He needs to beat the OT and pressure the QB. No matter what the scheme he has to do that. And he isn't.

Scheme has ZERO to do with it. And its irrelevant because he is playing DE in a 4-3 which is what he knows.

All that being said, he is definitely playing hurt. You can see that his left wrist is padded and heavily taped. He is probably having difficulty pushing off and disengaging.

I agree that scheme is no excuse, but neither is injury. If he's injured enough to be that ineffective, he shouldn't be on the field. Plenty of good DEs have played hurt and gotten the job done.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff1220 View Post
    I agree that scheme is no excuse, but neither is injury. If he's injured enough to be that ineffective, he shouldn't be on the field. Plenty of good DEs have played hurt and gotten the job done.
    I agree he should be doing more despite the injury however injury does affect your game. If his wrist is in fact messed up then all that hand fighting DEs need to do will be a losing battle for him.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You may be on to something with this "fool's gold" thread.

He certainly hasn't done much to warrant a starting spot, let alone the biggest contract of the offseason.

13. Post thanked by:

coastal (10-01-2012),Jeff1220 (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

No it has a lot to do with it. The 43 is simply the alignment, the assignment or role you ask your DE's to take. Like asking a power DE to run up the field 5-7 yards matters greatly.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

No it has a lot to do with it. The 43 is simply the alignment, the assignment or role you ask your DE's to take. Like asking a power DE to run up the field 5-7 yards matters greatly.
    Mario Williams is not just a Power DE, he has speed too. And many of his sacks come through speed rushes. Power is a big part of his game but he obviously doesn't have that right now with that wrist injury.

Bottom line, is I watch Mario attack the OT in every way possible and nothing is working for him. He needs to sit till he sorts out his injury.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Mario Williams is not just a Power DE, he has speed too. And many of his sacks come through speed rushes. Power is a big part of his game but he obviously doesn't have that right now with that wrist injury.

Bottom line, is I watch Mario attack the OT in every way possible and nothing is working for him. He needs to sit till he sorts out his injury.
    Yes he's athletic for a power DE, but he's not Julius Peppers out there, nor was he ever. That's a large misconception.

I agree the injury is an issue still, but so is the way we are trying to make him rush. Let him play with his gap assignment and work inside and out, not just outside as he does on the large majority of his snaps.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

are we talking about the injury from last year that cost him most of the season or is this a new injury that the team has been quiet about? If it is the old injury from last year, the Bills medical staff should be strung up for giving their OK to signing him to that ridiculous contract.

Yes he's athletic for a power DE, but he's not Julius Peppers out there, nor was he ever. That's a large misconception.

I agree the injury is an issue still, but so is the way we are trying to make him rush. Let him play with his gap assignment and work inside and out, not just outside as he does on the large majority of his snaps.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by billsburgh View Post
    are we talking about the injury from last year that cost him most of the season or is this a new injury that the team has been quiet about? If it is the old injury from last year, the Bills medical staff should be strung up for giving their OK to signing him to that ridiculous contract.
    Old, the pectoral injury could be affecting his power off the ball which has always been phenomenal.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by billsburgh View Post
    I was talking about the new one he picked up in preseason. Apparently he injured his wrist badly and they kept it quiet and have been downplaying it.

I think his wrist is more injured than we know and that would explain his inability to get off blocks.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I was talking about the new one he picked up in preseason. Apparently he injured his wrist badly and they kept it quiet and have been downplaying it.

I think his wrist is more injured than we know and that would explain his inability to get off blocks.
    More than a few folks questioned the mega-contract signing of a player with declining stats - especially tackles - in games played after 2009.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Frankly, Mario doesn't need to get double digit sacks for me to be satisfied. He simply has to play solid. His presence alone adds legitimacy to our team as far as the media is concerned (right or wrong). That brings attention our way. That helps with attracting more talent, getting media attention, and raising excitement. All of that is very good for this team.

The benefit of having Mario reaches beyond the football field. It may be one if the single most impactful moves on the future of this franchise in the past 10 years at least.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    Frankly, Mario doesn't need to get double digit sacks for me to be satisfied. He simply has to play solid. His presence alone adds legitimacy to our team as far as the media is concerned (right or wrong). That brings attention our way. That helps with attracting more talent, getting media attention, and raising excitement. All of that is very good for this team.

The benefit of having Mario reaches beyond the football field. It may be one if the single most impactful moves on the future of this franchise in the past 10 years at least.
    time for a coastal cleanse...
    Attached Images Attached Images