Page 18 of 83 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Thread: Mario Williams is "Fools Gold"

Thanks
    Thanked 24,425 Times in 14,144 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Mario Williams is "Fools Gold"

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    He played well last night, and it showed what the defense can look like when he decides to play.

The problem is this business of showing up every 3rd or 4th game, with a litany of excuses.

I watched the NE game again when it was on replay and watched him.

I would have benched him at one point or another, he just looked disinterested, and they were doing everything they could have to get him involved. They had him on the left, they moved him to the right, they moved him inside, they stood him up...and he did nothing. Had he played like that last night, he would have been sitting for a few games.

I don't know what was done to get him to play for this game, but it needs to continue. I know, I know, he/they should be self motivating...but if they aren't, you have to go to plan B, whatever that is/was.
    These are not HS players, the idea that benching is going to work as a motivational tool is a bit ridiculous. Ive never been an advocate of trying to humiliate a player in order to get his attention. The Phins did that last week and got laughed at for it. These are adults with traditionally massive egos, if you think treating them like children is going to work you're going to see an adverse reaction both on and off the field.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,911 Times in 5,303 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Oh for the love of Christ you're either being intentionally obtuse or just don't understand football in the least bit, which I know you do. This act is ridiculous.
    He played against Johnathan Martin last night.

Mario should have ***** slapped him all over the field.

he played solid, but in reality he should have dominated.

Too sober for this... mysticsoto's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,210 Times in 2,111 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post

I saw him hold his hand on one play. His wrist is clearly not healed yet. Despite that, you have to admit that he's better than what we had before...

4. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (11-16-2012),jlgarsh (11-16-2012),SquishDaFish (11-16-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Im well aware of who he went up against, you're now changing your eval. Gone from unimpressive to solid now.

You're setting a bar so high that he will never attain it no matter what he does.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto View Post
    I saw him hold his hand on one play. His wrist is clearly not healed yet. Despite that, you have to admit that he's better than what we had before...
    This is the best part, Coastal doesn't believe he actually had surgery.

6. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (11-16-2012),jlgarsh (11-16-2012),Mr. Pink (11-16-2012),mrbojanglezs (11-16-2012),SquishDaFish (11-16-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,877 Times in 4,006 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

These are not HS players, the idea that benching is going to work as a motivational tool is a bit ridiculous. Ive never been an advocate of trying to humiliate a player in order to get his attention. The Phins did that last week and got laughed at for it. These are adults with traditionally massive egos, if you think treating them like children is going to work you're going to see an adverse reaction both on and off the field.
    Bull.

-I would have benched him because he's an ineffective player on the worst defense in the league;
    -If I'm worried about upsetting someone who is under performing on the worst defense in the league, I'll risk the insurrection;
    -two of his teammates, Kelsay and Kyle Williams called out several members of the D for playing undisciplined and without effort. I can almost guarantee he was on the unnamed list;
    -Ask Bill Parcells about whether he worries about hurting someone's feelings. You'll probably get a quote in return that'll make a Coors Light commercial in the future.

"The only players I hurt with my words are the ones who have an inflated opinion of their ability. I can't worry about that."

Bill Parcells

8. Post thanked by:

coastal (11-16-2012),jimmifli (11-16-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bull.

-I would have benched him because he's an ineffective player on the worst defense in the league;
    -If I'm worried about upsetting someone who is under performing on the worst defense in the league, I'll risk the insurrection;
    -two of his teammates, Kelsay and Kyle Williams called out several members of the D for playing undisciplined and without effort. I can almost guarantee he was on the unnamed list;
    -Ask Bill Parcells about whether he worries about hurting someone's feelings. You'll probably get a quote in return that'll make a Coors Light commercial in the future.

"The only players I hurt with my words are the ones who have an inflated opinion of their ability. I can't worry about that."

Bill Parcells
    You going to be bench the rest of them too?

But they didn't name players, did they? There is a very large difference between what you suggest doing singling out a player and Williams and Kelsay calling out unnamed players. Whether that was intended for him or not, which I agree his name was probably on.

Ill be happy to, my first question will be what the hell happened with the Jets, Dolphins, and Cowboys. This isn't the mid 1990's anymore, his style is not the norm nor do players react well to it. So if he's the model you want to follow we can expect continued mediocrity because that's what he's been getting for the last 10+ years.

10. Post thanked by:

SquishDaFish (11-16-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by delectrolux View Post
    O

Well duh, Schobel was really good for a long time. At this point in his career Schobel (2005-06, when he was 28-29, Mario is 27) had 12 and 14 sack seasons. If he was a free agent after his seventh year, Schobel would have gotten a huge payday too.

Mario is a good DE. He's having an average season, but he's still got more sacks than everyone else on the team. So who cares how much they paid him? I know, I know, they could have gotten a DE with 6 sacks and a better LB or CB with the same money – okay who?

33 year old Andre Carter with his 4 games played and 1 sack?
    Rookie Jared Crick with 0 sacks
    No free agent DE signed this past year has more sacks than Mario. Wimbley with the Titans is next closest with 3.5

So if they signed some scrub who would have maybe 2 sacks this year, you'd be complaining that it was a typical One Bills Drive move and they should have gone after somebody like Williams who would be leading the team in sacks right now.
    you're paying a guy $100M. He is expected to at least be better than Shobel. Excuse me if I'm expecting that. After all the FO and players themselves built all this hype about Mario. Just voicing out my disappointment so far.

Let me remind you I stated "up to this point" . That doesn't mean he won't get there.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You going to be bench the rest of them too?
    There would have been a number of them. Aaron Williams would have been, before he got hurt. Dareus might have been another, but those are different circumstances. I thought he showed more effort against the Texans and Patriots anyways. There may have been others.

But they didn't name players, did they? There is a very large difference between what you suggest doing singling out a player and Williams and Kelsay calling out unnamed players. Whether that was intended for him or not, which I agree his name was probably on.
    It isn't a matter of singling him out, as I said, there probably would have been others for different reasons. It is about making changes in an attempt to improve the worst defense in the league.

Ill be happy to, my first question will be what the hell happened with the Jets, Dolphins, and Cowboys. This isn't the mid 1990's anymore, his style is not the norm nor do players react well to it. So if he's the model you want to follow we can expect continued mediocrity because that's what he's been getting for the last 10+ years.
    Of course it doesn't. Only coach in NFL history to take 4 different teams to teh playoffs.

Tom Coughlin should have been fired years ago.

If not for those 2 SB wins in the last 5 years, he probably would have been. Hell, there was talk about firing him last year. The old "he's out of touch with today's players" routine came up again as late as last November.

It isn't even necessarily about being a hard ass. Some try, and look stupid doing it. Gregg Williams when he started with the Bills, for instance. Todd Haley comes off as annoying. Everyone has their own way. I myself, responded better to letting me know what I was doing wrong, rather than screaming at me about it. But that was mostly because the screamers I had didn't know what they were doing.

Unless it was an effort thing, then the screaming was warranted. But that's just me.

But it is about getting your players to perform, your unit to perform, especially when they are performing well below their talent level. If that means changes must be made, so be it.

13. Post thanked by:

coastal (11-16-2012),jimmifli (11-16-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There would have been a number of them. Aaron Williams would have been, before he got hurt. Dareus might have been another, but those are different circumstances. I thought he showed more effort against the Texans and Patriots anyways. There may have been others.
    Awesome so we get more Justin Rogers, and whatever other craptastic backup we have at DT in all because we have no patience and want to try and embarass a player.

It isn't a matter of singling him out, as I said, there probably would have been others for different reasons. It is about making changes in an attempt to improve the worst defense in the league.
    Maybe you're intent isn't embarassment but you know how this plays.
    Of course it doesn't. Only coach in NFL history to take 4 different teams to teh playoffs.

Tom Coughlin should have been fired years ago.

If not for those 2 SB wins in the last 5 years, he probably would have been. Hell, there was talk about firing him last year. The old "he's out of touch with today's players" routine came up again as late as last November.
    Tell me the last star player Coughlin benched for poor play (Osi?). He may be an old grumpy man, but he's not one to just bench a struggling player.

It isn't even necessarily about being a hard ass. Some try, and look stupid doing it. Gregg Williams when he started with the Bills, for instance. Todd Haley comes off as annoying. Everyone has their own way. I myself, responded better to letting me know what I was doing wrong, rather than screaming at me about it. But that was mostly because the screamers I had didn't know what they were doing.

But it is about getting your players to perform, your unit to perform, especially when they are performing well below their talent level. If that means changes must be made, so be it.
    Well we agree Haley is an asshate and Williams is an idiot, the rest we don't agree about. There is so much wrong with this team schematically that I'd rather us try and fix before we decide its all the players fault as is par for the course.

15. Post thanked by:

SquishDaFish (11-16-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bull.-I would have benched him because he's an ineffective player on the worst defense in the league;-If I'm worried about upsetting someone who is under performing on the worst defense in the league, I'll risk the insurrection;-two of his teammates, Kelsay and Kyle Williams called out several members of the D for playing undisciplined and without effort. I can almost guarantee he was on the unnamed list;-Ask Bill Parcells about whether he worries about hurting someone's feelings. You'll probably get a quote in return that'll make a Coors Light commercial in the future."The only players I hurt with my words are the ones who have an inflated opinion of their ability. I can't worry about that."Bill Parcells

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Awesome so we get more Justin Rogers, and whatever other craptastic backup we have at DT in all because we have no patience and want to try and embarass a player.
    Because giving up 31 points a game is something to hold on to.

Maybe you're intent isn't embarassment but you know how this plays.
    Whatever.

Tell me the last star player Coughlin benched for poor play (Osi?). He may be an old grumpy man, but he's not one to just bench a struggling player.
    He benched his 1st round pick in Game 1 for fumbling on his 2nd career carry.

David Wilson should be getting out of Menningers any time now. All that emotional trauma, you know.

Well we agree Haley is an asshate and Williams is an idiot, the rest we don't agree about.
    There is so much wrong with this team schematically that I'd rather us try and fix before we decide its all the players fault as is par for the course.
    I hate to tell you this, but for a DE, it is about as easy as a scheme as you can get, especially one with the skill set he has.

-Line up on the outside
    -get in backfield
    -pressure QB
    -watch contain, protect against cutback.
    -beat guy in front of you, the guy you have the edge on.

That's it.

That is what he was brought in to do. That's why he is getting $100 million.

He isn't being lined up head on an OT, asked to take on multiple blockers, asked to hold ground, etc., etc.

But the "athletic freak" hasn't been getting around much slower RT's. At times, it could be the wrist thing...maybe, but I'm still waiting for him to beat a tackle cleanly once in a while, i.e., out quick him. But it is because he hasn't been doing his job that they've been moving him around lately. And even that didn't work.

But his wrist didn't miraculously heal between the Pats game and the Miami game.

He was playing better because he was actually getting off the ball, he was actually running, instead of jogging. In other words, he was actually hustling, instead of phoning it in.

But I'm sorry, all this talk is hurting his feelings.

18. Post thanked by:

coastal (11-16-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

While Mario had a solid game, for 100 mil he needs to do that against elite tackles in the game.

20. Post thanked by:

coastal (11-16-2012),Novacane (11-18-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Let's give him a season before running him out of town...He seems to be getting healthier, and is definitely opening things up for Dareus and Williams in the middle.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

9.5 sacks... With 4 games to go.

23. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He looks pretty good since the surgery, and it definitely getting more pressure. His forced fumble/recovery today really helped get the Bills some momentum.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Ive said it all along... Mario is an above average DE slightly better than Schobel that plays on a PB level every other year or so. He is not nearly as bad as made out to be in begining of season or as good as made out to be when signed. In the end, most of you will like the move.
    Please Make Sense

Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Coastal will never admit he was jumping the gun and also that he was wrong

27. Post thanked by:

streetkings01 (12-03-2012)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He wasn't doing much of anything early on but the last several weeks he's been playing very good football. A definite plus, going forward.

29. Post thanked by:

SquishDaFish (12-03-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He made one play... an awesome play to be sure...

but that was it. Invisible rest of game... Single teamed throughout.

alex Carrington was the player to watch today.

and mind u... This is Jville.... Not NE... Not against Tom Brady... Or Big Ben.

you idiots will never learn.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

you idiots will never learn.
    Oh, the irony.