Page 22 of 83 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast

Thread: Mario Williams is "Fools Gold"

Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 5,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Mario Williams is "Fools Gold"

Quote Originally Posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
    Are you? How's Anderson looked when you know he was actually on the field to play?

We overpaid for Mario but at least he produced something, we gave Anderson some money to do nothing.
    anderson should never have been asked to be a three down end.

We started using him like that and then he got injured.

wiff.

2. Post thanked by:

Mouldsie (12-26-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    The guy is overpaid and isn't a leader type at all.
    agreed.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SquishDaFish View Post
    Coastal doesnt know ****. Talks out his ass pure and simple
    http://www.adultthumbsuckerssupportgroup.com

Thanks
    Thanked 9,903 Times in 4,023 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    I'm going to make an exception to my new rule about not buying any merchandise. I'm sending Coastal a Mario Williams Jersey and a can of red paint. He draw a circle with a line through it over the 94.
    Maybe you can get my oldest's. He hasn't worn it since the 1st NE game.

He just kinda looked at me in the 2nd half and said, "he's not really a high effort guy, is he?"

I think the interesting thing in all this is we are middle of the road in team sacks when last year we were at the bottom. The Vaunted San Francisco defense has one more sack. We get a decent D coordinator and a top LB in the draft and we could improve even more next year.
    -424 points against and counting
    -5.1 ypc against (2200 yards rushing given up and counting)
    -0 sacks against a quality OT.

He brought nothing to the defense. But then, every defense he's ever been on has sucked.

I wonder why none of his supporters bumped this thread in the last 2 games? Ah, maybe cause he was invisible, except for the replays of Russell Wilson and Ryan Tannehill running by him on the way to the sidelines.

Well, we're stuck with him for a few more years. He might be willing to accept the the legacy of a highly overpaid underachiever, or...he can set out to improve himself and become an actual beast, as opposed to the paper tiger that he is.

He can spend it working on some hand tech, some actual pass rushing moves, instead of relying on one.

Maybe he can watch some tape of JJ Watt, whose hand moves are light years ahead of Mario's.

Most of all, he needs a Talley, like Bruce needed a Talley. Bruce would have probably been a Mario except for Talley0 mentoring him. He very well could have ended up as the 8-10 sack a year guy, who did little else. In Bruce's case, it was physical conditioning, and probably a few other things.

Or he can count his millions and talk about his victories over the Barry Richardson's of the world.

6. Post thanked by:

coastal (12-26-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Right, wrong, or indifferent, this has been an epic thread.

8. Post thanked by:

coastal (12-26-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    Building a team isn't as simple as plugging in players with better Madden scores.

Players are people and when building an organization, the leadership must be mindful about who they choose and how they put the pieces together.

but run your weak ass Mincey smack and keep rooting for the studness that is Mario "Fools Gold" Williams!
    Oh Im going to keep bringing it up to show how just inept you are on the game of football. Just remeber you though Jeremy "has no business being on a football field let alone the answer to any teams pass rushing needs" was better than Mario Williams. lmao I mean Mincy SUCKS

Free advice, just keep reading my post Ill get you educated on this game kid

11. Post thanked by:

SquishDaFish (12-26-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    The guy is overpaid and isn't a leader type at all but he's hardly a bust.

Then again, they're all overpaid cattle to me.
    Nobody said he was supposed to be before or after he signed

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Nobody said he was supposed to be before or after he signed
    Exactly.

and speaks directly to my point that adding players to a team isn't as simple as plugging in players with better Madden numbers.

what kind of manager brings in an employee, makes him the highest paid member of the team, and then doesn't expect that person to lead?

i know... a manager who doesn't understand people and how to get them to work together... Or do we have to have Kyle Williams and Chris Kelsay calling people out to the media again for the point to sink in.
    Last edited by coastal; 12-26-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,633 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

coastal, didnt we have a bet - mario williams vs mark anderson for total sacks?

15. Post thanked by:

coastal (12-27-2012),SquishDaFish (12-27-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldsie View Post
    coastal, didnt we have a bet - mario williams vs mark anderson for total sacks?
    A hundo... Ill pay up!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There's no doubt he's not a leader or "high motor" type player, but this team has many more problems than someone with double a digit sack total. I'm glad they got him and his contract doesn't really start to get hurtful till 2014. If it came down to it, I would want the Bills to do just what they did, they needed help at the position and they went and got the best that was available at any cost.

18. Post thanked by:

SquishDaFish (12-27-2012)

Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kishoph View Post
    There's no doubt he's not a leader or "high motor" type player, but this team has many more problems than someone with double a digit sack total. I'm glad they got him and his contract doesn't really start to get hurtful till 2014. If it came down to it, I would want the Bills to do just what they did, they needed help at the position and they went and got the best that was available at any cost.
    Thats my point. Im happy they went out and spent the money to fix an area of need. Did they overpay?? Sure they did. Want to know why? Because they are the **** of the league as a franchise and noone wants to come here unless you show them the money. I see far bigger problems on that defense or even on the team than Mario and that includes the **** they have for coaches not only on defense but on the team.

20. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (12-28-2012),kishoph (12-27-2012)

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    Maybe you can get my oldest's. He hasn't worn it since the 1st NE game.

He just kinda looked at me in the 2nd half and said, "he's not really a high effort guy, is he?"

-424 points against and counting
    -5.1 ypc against (2200 yards rushing given up and counting)
    -0 sacks against a quality OT.

He brought nothing to the defense. But then, every defense he's ever been on has sucked.

I wonder why none of his supporters bumped this thread in the last 2 games? Ah, maybe cause he was invisible, except for the replays of Russell Wilson and Ryan Tannehill running by him on the way to the sidelines.

Well, we're stuck with him for a few more years. He might be willing to accept the the legacy of a highly overpaid underachiever, or...he can set out to improve himself and become an actual beast, as opposed to the paper tiger that he is.

He can spend it working on some hand tech, some actual pass rushing moves, instead of relying on one.

Maybe he can watch some tape of JJ Watt, whose hand moves are light years ahead of Mario's.

Most of all, he needs a Talley, like Bruce needed a Talley. Bruce would have probably been a Mario except for Talley0 mentoring him. He very well could have ended up as the 8-10 sack a year guy, who did little else. In Bruce's case, it was physical conditioning, and probably a few other things.

Or he can count his millions and talk about his victories over the Barry Richardson's of the world.
    Great point on Talley and totally true. He was his roomy and pushed Bruce to be the best he could be.

One of the criticisms last year was lack of pass rush. We went out and signed the best pass rusher available. We improved in that area, but did anyone think he was the next Bruce Smith? I just pointed out that stat because the OP has been pimping San Francisco for the past two years and the lowly Bills have only one less sack. Have I been disappointed with the defense, sure. However they did go through a 5 game stretch where the most points allowed was 15. Crappy teams? OK.

Bottom line is you can't win in this league playing defense with a strong running game and a game manager. Of the top 15 defenses, it looks like only 6 will make the playoffs. 5 of the bottom 12 will. So, would it have been more prudent to have gone after Peyton Manning or a top FA QB (How about Matt Flynn). I can't think of any others that were on the market. Should they have drafted one? Undoubtably, but then again QB's taken in the first three rounds bust as much as they succeed. I'm sure the Bills' would have taken Cousins had Washington not pulled the trigger.

So, you can bash Mario all you want, the problem is not a defense that will continue to improve, it's a rinky dink offense that's easy to figure out and defend.
    Last edited by pmoon6; 12-27-2012 at 08:51 AM.

22. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (12-28-2012),SquishDaFish (12-27-2012),YardRat (12-27-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Great point on Talley and totally true. He was his roomy and pushed Bruce to be the best he could be.

One of the criticisms last year was lack of pass rush. We went out and signed the best pass rusher available. We improved in that area, but did anyone think he was the next Bruce Smith? I just pointed out that stat because the OP has been pimping San Francisco for the past two years and the lowly Bills have only one less sack. Have I been disappointed with the defense, sure. However they did go through a 5 game stretch where the most points allowed was 15. Crappy teams? OK.

Bottom line is you can't win in this league playing defense with a strong running game and a game manager. Of the top 15 defenses, it looks like only 6 will make the playoffs. 5 of the bottom 12 will. So, would it have been more prudent to have gone after Peyton Manning or a top FA QB (How about Matt Flynn). I can't think of any others that were on the market. Should they have drafted one? Undoubtably, but then again QB's taken in the first three rounds bust as much as they succeed. I'm sure the Bills' would have taken Cousins had Washington not pulled the trigger.

So, you can bash Mario all you want, the problem is not a defense that will continue to improve, it's a rinky dink offense that's easy to figure out and defend.
    Continue to improve? You're making the assertion that the process has already begun?

Our defense sucks... plain and simple.

My take is "plug and play" solutions to deficit areas of the team without regard for the team IS the problem.

Mario is the crowning manifestation of that dynamic, and until that changes... the playoff drought will continue.

The next evolution of this will be our selection of a QB in the upcoming draft. Everyone is going to go ape and get in line at the alter of "saviors without a chance".

it won't be because the QB we actually select will be the problem... it's just that I have zero faith that whoever we do pick will be evaluated in the context of the greater whole.

but hey... Bills fans love unfulfilled promise as much as they do parking lots.

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Continue to improve? You're making the assertion that the process has already begun?

Our defense sucks... plain and simple.

My take is "plug and play" solutions to deficit areas of the team without regard for the team IS the problem.

Mario is the crowning manifestation of that dynamic, and until that changes... the playoff drought will continue.

The next evolution of this will be our selection of a QB in the upcoming draft. Everyone is going to go ape and get in line at the alter of "saviors without a chance".

it won't be because the QB we actually select will be the problem... it's just that I have zero faith that whoever we do pick will be evaluated in the context of the greater whole.

but hey... Bills fans love unfulfilled promise as much as they do parking lots.
    If it makes you feel any better, I have already called DirectTV and cancelled my subscription for NFL ticket. That's the only thing I have spent money on for the last six years. I might watch if the Bills' game is on regular TV, but I'll be a ways from being a "Fan".

25. Post thanked by:

coastal (12-27-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If it makes you feel any better, I have already called DirectTV and cancelled my subscription for NFL ticket. That's the only thing I have spent money on for the last six years. I might watch if the Bills' game is on regular TV, but I'll be a ways from being a "Fan".
    We deserve better moonie... All of us do.

and that includes someone better than Mario Williams... an uber-millionaire with a library and a bathroom the size of most our homes. Don't get me wrong... It's not jealousy of the stuff he has... It's that he has it on our dime and plays the game like a butt-fu@king quitter.

like I said... we all deserve better.

Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

We deserve better moonie... All of us do.

and that includes someone better than Mario Williams... an uber-millionaire with a library and a bathroom the size of most our homes. Don't get me wrong... It's not jealousy of the stuff he has... It's that he has it on our dime and plays the game like a butt-fu@king quitter.

like I said... we all deserve better.
    God dude you are way the **** out there. I think it is jealousy. Or he stole something from you. There is MUCH BIGGER problems on this team other than a DE that just came to the team. You need to get off his ballsack and move on. Didnt you say you were a niners fan now anyhow?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,903 Times in 4,023 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I nominate Kyle Williams to take over that role. It might be a blow to his ego, considering KW was a 5th round pick that year, as opposed to the no. 1 pick in the draft, but se la vie. They have a lot invested in the guy and you might as well see what you can get out of him.

One of the criticisms last year was lack of pass rush. We went out and signed the best pass rusher available. We improved in that area,
    It improved against bad teams. Kelsay could get the 3 sack performance against the bad teams too on occasion. I think he got 3 against Denver last year, for instance. So he gets 2 or 3 more sacks per year than Kelsay...I ain't impressed.

but did anyone think he was the next Bruce Smith? I just pointed out that stat because the OP has been pimping San Francisco for the past two years and the lowly Bills have only one less sack.
    Maybe that's a clue that the garbage sack isn't all there is to playing defense. And therein lies the problem. The guy gets a garbage sack and people ooh and ahh, like that makes him some great DE or something.

Have I been disappointed with the defense, sure. However they did go through a 5 game stretch where the most points allowed was 15. Crappy teams? OK.
    Well, yeah, their O's were at the bottom of the league. Reality set back in as soon as Seattle showed up.

Bottom line is you can't win in this league playing defense with a strong running game and a game manager. Of the top 15 defenses, it looks like only 6 will make the playoffs. 5 of the bottom 12 will.
    Of the top 9 defenses, in terms of points allowed, only the Fins aren't going to the playoffs. (not sure of the Bears).
    Of the bottom 9 defenses, in terms of points allowed, only NO is going (are they? not sure).

Bills, Chiefs, Eagles, Raiders and Titans may be looking for new coaches, as may the Jags, Bucs and Lions.

So, would it have been more prudent to have gone after Peyton Manning or a top FA QB (How about Matt Flynn). I can't think of any others that were on the market. Should they have drafted one? Undoubtably, but then again QB's taken in the first three rounds bust as much as they succeed. I'm sure the Bills' would have taken Cousins had Washington not pulled the trigger.
    Assuming you're right for a second, it should make me feel good that the Bills' spent 3 years building a Maginot Line? (You can thank me for that later, I know you liked it).

So, you can bash Mario all you want,
    Thank you. I will.

the problem is not a defense that will continue to improve, it's a rinky dink offense that's easy to figure out and defend.
    The NFL hasn't quite yet reached the stage of Arena league.

Sooner or later, your D has to stop someone.

Against the Jets- With Mark Sanchez, the Jets scored on 5 of their 1st 6 possessions. Only one poss. was started in Buffalo territory;

Against the Pats- 14 of their last 19 possessions resulted in scores, including 11 TDS;

Against the 9er's- they gave up TD's in 6 of their last 7 possessions. Only 1 of those possessions started in Buffalo territory;

Against the Titans- the gave up TD's in 4 of their 1st 5 possessions. Only one started in Buffalo territory. With 3 minutes to go, all they had to do was prevent a TD. They couldn't do that;

Against Seattle- they gave up scores on 5 of their 1st 5 possessions, including 4 TDS. After a punt at the end of the half,
    they gave up 3 more scores on consecutive drives. Against the Seahawks, there hadn't been an offensive turnover in the entire 1st half, yet they were down 31-17.

Of course defense is the problem.

If they were intending on winning shoot outs, they probably should have added more than 1 weapon and 1 OL to their arsenal.

But they didn't, because they wanted a dominant defense.

And what they got is about as far as can be from dominating.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SquishDaFish View Post
    God dude you are way the **** out there.
    although lonely at times... its quite beautiful! You're more than welcome here anytime you're ready.