Thread: Mario Williams is "Fools Gold"

Thanks
    Thanked 8,911 Times in 5,303 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Mario Williams is "Fools Gold"

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    I understand.

And he is definitely not "da man".

I just don't see where that money would have gone other than to more crap.
    Whenever the question of Andy Levitre an Jarius Byrd come up, the opposite rationalization comes up... "they weren't worth it!"

two players who played well for Buffalo and produced throughout their rookie contracts were shown the door and not rewarded for their contributions to the organization.

again... that says something to EVERYONE in the organization.

This isn't madden franchise mode where you just plug in widgets with rating numbers to make our team better.

these are people we are talking about and the way the Bills are "managed" tells me that whoever is in charge, clearly, doesn't understand that concept.

the Mario signing and subsequent loss of these two players is the epitome of that.

2. Post thanked by:

Fletch (08-25-2014),swiper (08-27-2014)

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    Whenever the question of Andy Levitre an Jarius Byrd come up, the opposite rationalization comes up... "they weren't worth it!"

two players who played well for Buffalo and produced throughout their rookie contracts were shown the door and not rewarded for their contributions to the organization.

This isn't madden franchise mode where you just plug in widgets with rating numbers to make our team better.

these are people we are talking about and the way the Bills are "managed" tells me that whoever is in charge, clearly, doesn't understand that concept.

the Mario signing and subsequent loss of these two players is the epitome of that.
    With the Bills cap space room last year and this year, both of those players could have been easily signed despite Mario's contract.

The Bills incorrectly undervalued those two players.

That we we were operating with an internal salary cap under Ralph.

I hope things will be different under Pegula.

4. Post thanked by:

coastal (08-25-2014),Fletch (08-25-2014),jimmifli (08-25-2014),swiper (08-27-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,911 Times in 5,303 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    This ain't the 1990s NFL anymore and IDGAF what Daryl Talley says or thinks about the state of the NFL. Of course he's gonna be angry, he missed out on all of these big money contracts.

The dude is a 3 time pro-bowler and a 3 time all-pro. Basically every other year he's making one of those two lists as he's played 7 full seasons. Bruce was a 5 time all-pro and 3 time pro-bowler in his first 7 full seasons.

Mario could go out and put up a 60 tackle and 20 sack season and you'd ***** that he didn't break Strahan's record.

Again, who else should the money have gone to?
    So now Daryl Talley is just a bitter, retired ex-Bill?

and when Mario puts up 60 and 20... let me know.

Dumber than the average blonde :-)
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,860 Times in 6,849 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ServoBillieves View Post
    Did Fletch/coastal/Blondie revive this thread to have a conversation with himself? Impressive.

Mario is worth the contract and place on this team.
    Did you just throw a post in here for the sake of pretending you don't care??
    I was banned for calling Yardie a coward, by DB, in a tread about women’s issues happening right now in America. Nothing better than republican men silencing women’s voices, especially in the Buffalo Spin zone!!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The reason I have no problem with the Mario signing is because I don't believe the Bills would have spent that money any more wisely or at all.

The Bills still are $9M under the cap this year and that is after having a league leading $23,692,276 in dead money.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills

Is Mario overpaid? Sure, but it is irrelevant.

By the way, to everyone other than old homer fools in Florida, Buddy Nix was an incompetent idiot.
    Agreed 100% We got a pretty good player for the price of a great one. And we could have added other good players but chose not to.

As for culture problems? The head of the franchise is a salesman that hires cheap coaches who hire inexperienced coordinators. The players know the Bills aren't doing everything to win. Bringing in one overpaid pretty good DE isn't killing the winning culture that's been established in Orchard Park.

8. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by streetkings01 View Post
    81 TACKLES
    23.5 SACKS
    7 PDEF
    3 FF

All of that in 2 seasons.........I have no problem with Mario Williams or his contract.
    He got paid much more than the three players that finished ahead of him in sacks last season.

He got paid much more than the 16 players that finished ahead of him in sacks in 2012.

He logged 13 sacks last season, the team had 57 for a franchise record sacks. The result, a 20th ranked scoring Defense and a 6-10 record, again.

So what's not sinking in for you in this discussion?

I mean if you want to continue to evaluate Mario's contributions in a vacuum, keep on going, you're doing a fine job.

This really isn't very complicated. Get Mario for $100M, or get a bunch of other players that can help us win more games for the same amount of money.

10. Post thanked by:

coastal (08-26-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Byrd should have been paid, point blank, period.

Levitre was fine to let go if the team would have kept Rinehart. Letting both go was beyond idiotic.

12. Post thanked by:

coastal (08-26-2014),Generalissimus Gibby (08-27-2014),jlgarsh (08-26-2014),Mouldsie (08-25-2014),SquishDaFish (08-25-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So now Daryl Talley is just a bitter, retired ex-Bill?

and when Mario puts up 60 and 20... let me know.
    Wouldn't you be bitter watching guys do the same job you did 25 years ago but getting paid 10 times for it? And Talley constantly mentions players of today and their behaviors.

And your argument against Mario isn't his onfield production, you think he's supposed to be a role model, a leader and vocal.

He's never gonna do any of those three things.

14. Post thanked by:

SquishDaFish (08-25-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

This really isn't very complicated. Get Mario for $100M, or get a bunch of other players that can help us win more games for the same amount of money.
    The team is still under the cap and could sign a couple more midlevel players to win more games.

And who should they have brought in instead?

16. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (08-27-2014),SquishDaFish (08-25-2014)

Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Agree with everything MR.Pink has said. I really think he beat you for lunch money or something.

18. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (08-26-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Mario makes the other 3 defensive lineman out there with him better. Kyle, Marcel, and Hughes all had career highs in sacks playing next to him. Most of the time, he gets double teamed, allowing the rest of them to make plays. The defense was not the reason we were 6-10 last year. We gave the ball away in our own territory on multiple occasions, and our D held firm most of the time. If the team can get average QB play this year, the D will carry them to the playoffs.

20. Post thanked by:

pmoon6 (08-26-2014)

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What does a players' contract have to do with anything? If you want to go that route, how much is Peyton Manning being paid to choke in Super Bowls.

As far as Daryl Talley, very few that put on a Buffalo uniform had a bigger heart or worked harder. Perfect type of player for WNY. It's well documented that he made Bruce Smith better. It's not documented, but the DL seems to have elevated their game last year and Mario is a part of that.

I am like Talley. I chafe at the present state of the NFL. The Defense is severely hampered by the rule changes, written and unwritten. When the offensive line is allowed to clutch grab and pull to protect marquee QB's who they don't want to go down to injury, the NFL has become a psuedo Arena League. Then again, that's what douchebag fans want...records broken and lots of points. Too bad those records are meaningless because the game has changed to such a great extent.

22. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (08-26-2014),Night Train (08-26-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    The team is still under the cap and could sign a couple more midlevel players to win more games.

And who should they have brought in instead?
    You have to have a certain level of intelligence in order to be able to participate in a discussion as such.

Your points and take are so in a vacuum that it's ridiculous. Purely ridiculous.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jlgarsh View Post
    Mario makes the other 3 defensive lineman out there with him better. Kyle, Marcel, and Hughes all had career highs in sacks playing next to him. Most of the time, he gets double teamed, allowing the rest of them to make plays. The defense was not the reason we were 6-10 last year. We gave the ball away in our own territory on multiple occasions, and our D held firm most of the time. If the team can get average QB play this year, the D will carry them to the playoffs.
    BS

Talk about trolling.

Kyle's been one of the best DTs in the game and that didn't just happen in 2012.

The rest of the stuff that you absurdly attribute to Mario had primarily to do with the system last season.

Also, presumably you've missed the discussions earlier in the offseason and preseason where I posted links to analyses that clearly painted the picture that Mario was the worst of our linemen, all of them, not just the starters, at setting the edge as they like to say.

Sounds like you need to do a little homework first before coming into a discussion like this.

That's the problem with forums like this, anything sounds intelligent, but most of it isn't. "Making the guys around him better" is an overused and gratuitously used cliche that's become meaningless. So is the part about sustaining double teams, which is also false by the way, thereby allowing other defenders to make plays.

It sounds great, just like on TV, but unfortunately you're wrong.

Mario's not worth $100M or anything close. Anyone insisting that he is doesn't understand football.
    Last edited by Fletch; 08-26-2014 at 05:38 AM.

25. Post thanked by:

coastal (08-26-2014)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

27. Post thanked by:

Topas (08-26-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You have to have a certain level of intelligence in order to be able to participate in a discussion as such.

Your points and take are so in a vacuum that it's ridiculous. Purely ridiculous.
    ie... you have nothing further to add so instead of staying on topic you resort to basically name calling.

Got it

29. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (08-26-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He got paid much more than the three players that finished ahead of him in sacks last season.

He got paid much more than the 16 players that finished ahead of him in sacks in 2012.

He logged 13 sacks last season, the team had 57 for a franchise record sacks. The result, a 20th ranked scoring Defense and a 6-10 record, again.

So what's not sinking in for you in this discussion?

I mean if you want to continue to evaluate Mario's contributions in a vacuum, keep on going, you're doing a fine job.

and if Mario isn't on this team do you think underpaid Jerry Hughes racks up double digit sacks? Or what about Kyle and Dareus making the Pro Bowl? I don't but who knows that offseason we landed Mario I though a more realistic expectation was to sign Wallace Gilberry who's put up 14.0 sacks in two seasons for the Bengals compared to the 23.5 Mario has here.
    Last edited by The Jokeman; 08-26-2014 at 06:22 PM.

31. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (08-26-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

BS

Talk about trolling.

Kyle's been one of the best DTs in the game and that didn't just happen in 2012.

The rest of the stuff that you absurdly attribute to Mario had primarily to do with the system last season.

Also, presumably you've missed the discussions earlier in the offseason and preseason where I posted links to analyses that clearly painted the picture that Mario was the worst of our linemen, all of them, not just the starters, at setting the edge as they like to say.

Sounds like you need to do a little homework first before coming into a discussion like this.

That's the problem with forums like this, anything sounds intelligent, but most of it isn't. "Making the guys around him better" is an overused and gratuitously used cliche that's become meaningless. So is the part about sustaining double teams, which is also false by the way, thereby allowing other defenders to make plays.

It sounds great, just like on TV, but unfortunately you're wrong.

Mario's not worth $100M or anything close. Anyone insisting that he is doesn't understand football.
    Kyle Williams was a pro bowler before Mario came, but you're telling me it was solely scheme that made Hughes and Dareus better? Why is Hughes still paying well on the other end, when we changed coordinators? You disagree with me, therefore I'm trolling? I've been called many things in life, but never a troll. I don't get to post here as often as I'd like, but my low post count doesn't mean that I only chime in occasionally to spout nonsense. Mario directly led to us beating the Dolphins last year with the strip-sack of Tannehill, and his 4.5 sacks against Carolina helped keep us in the game before EJ drove the offense down the field. Mario's contract has not prevented us from bringing in other good players, so what's the difference? Is there a defensive player in football worth $100 million? Probably not. However, with the cap going up, salaries will keep rising, and in time it won't be such an outlier. By the way; How did this thread even get started back up? There are way more pressing issues with this team than the size of Mario Williams contract. Here are some:

1.) Future owners
    2.) Potential stadium locations, costs, and financing
    3.) current QB situation (Manuel, Tuel, Palmer, etc)
    4.) Jim Kelly
    5.) the differences between this coaching staff, and other recent staffs
    6.) Training camp and preseason observations
    7.) what do the Bills do with CJ Spiller?
    8.) predictions for the season

let's talk constructively, and share opinions without name calling...this is a message board, not grade school.

33. Post thanked by:

Mr. Pink (08-26-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

With the Bills cap space room last year and this year, both of those players could have been easily signed despite Mario's contract.

The Bills incorrectly undervalued those two players.

That we we were operating with an internal salary cap under Ralph.

I hope things will be different under Pegula.
    Wilson always operated with that. That's why the team never performed to their full potential. That and Marv Levy not being able to get his players to bed without prostitutes the night before the Super Bowl.

35. Post thanked by:

coastal (08-27-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jlgarsh View Post
    Kyle Williams was a pro bowler before Mario came, but you're telling me it was solely scheme that made Hughes and Dareus better? Why is Hughes still paying well on the other end, when we changed coordinators? You disagree with me, therefore I'm trolling? I've been called many things in life, but never a troll. I don't get to post here as often as I'd like, but my low post count doesn't mean that I only chime in occasionally to spout nonsense. Mario directly led to us beating the Dolphins last year with the strip-sack of Tannehill, and his 4.5 sacks against Carolina helped keep us in the game before EJ drove the offense down the field. Mario's contract has not prevented us from bringing in other good players, so what's the difference? Is there a defensive player in football worth $100 million? Probably not. However, with the cap going up, salaries will keep rising, and in time it won't be such an outlier. By the way; How did this thread even get started back up? There are way more pressing issues with this team than the size of Mario Williams contract. Here are some:

1.) Future owners
    2.) Potential stadium locations, costs, and financing
    3.) current QB situation (Manuel, Tuel, Palmer, etc)
    4.) Jim Kelly
    5.) the differences between this coaching staff, and other recent staffs
    6.) Training camp and preseason observations
    7.) what do the Bills do with CJ Spiller?
    8.) predictions for the season

let's talk constructively, and share opinions without name calling...this is a message board, not grade school.
    Easy Jackson!

I never call anyone a troll seriously, it's always jokingly or facetiously. The term gets thrown around here regularly and has lost any and all meaning. It's usually used by posters that do post regularly and don't like the content of another's posts. I know you're not a troll, hardly anyone here is, yet if you believed the labels and cheap name calling, as you say, grade-schoolish behavior, there are many.

Having said that, great post, and more astute than most here. Agree that Kyle was a pro-bowler before Mario got here, therefore my attack on the statement that Marios presence' made him better.

I agree with some of your points but not with others. To address the latter ones:

Why is Hughes still paying well on the other end, when we changed coordinators?
    Actually we don't know yet, let's wait to see how the season plays out. Last season was a pass-rush happy defense, yet we allowed 3 more passing TDs than we had the season prior despite setting a franchise record for sacks and what, 3rd ever best in INTs? We ranked 20th in scoring. How do we reconcile those things other than to state that the sacks were overblown. As I've pointed out to many posters, we had 10 combined sacks against Atlanta and NO and yet still allowed 30 some points and great passing days against both teams. Again, we have to reconcile that before declaring Pettine's defense as being good.

Mario's contract has not prevented us from bringing in other good players, so what's the difference?
    The reasons you gave are really not reasons. Anytime you drop $100M on a player it prevents you from spending that money elsewhere.

This issue is more than simply an exercise in whether or not Mario was worth that much, he wasn't, but it's more an exercise in how does one build a winning football team. For an answer to that, from a contract perspective, look at the Pats or Seahawks more specifically, and how much their players get paid.

Mario was signed here to put fannies in the seats coming off another miserable 6-10 campaign. Everyone in the organization foolishly thought, for some unbeknownst reason, that sacks translated to wins despite the glaring lack of evidence of that elsewhere in the league. So they went out and broke the bank on Mario.

But saying that dropping $100M on Mario did not hinder us from signing any other players is the same as saying that dropping $66M on Fitzpatrick didn't prevent us from signing any other players, which is ridiculous.

I look forward to interacting with you in the future.