• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Mario Williams is "Fools Gold"

Smith was very special. I won't ever see another DE like him in my lifetime.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• AlohaBill
      • Jul 2002

[QUOTE=cookie G;3907121]um...you were looking at his jersey number, I think

I believe he is referring to the fact of them both being 29 years of age at this point of their career.

Comment

• coastal
        Legendary Zoner
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by SquishDaFish View Post
        Coastal just give it up and succeed the fact that you were wrong on this subject. Yes hes overpaid We ALL know that but we dont give a ****. He does positive **** for this defense hands down.
        Do u remember two years ago when Chris Kelsay was calling him out?

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
          Skoobasaurus-Rex
          • Oct 2011

Mario had a good 2013 season, which helped make up for his 2012 season.

Comment

• X-Era
            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
            um...you were looking at his jersey number, I think

After 8 seasons

Bruce- 108 games 92 sacks
            Mario- 114 ganes 76.5 sacks

And in terms of tackles...it isn't even close...

Bruce 541
            Mario 325

Bruce could, and did..dominate against the run as well as the pass.

That's not to mention that Mario probably had several hundred more pass attempts during that time and hence, more sack opportunities.

I won't even get into the fact that Bruce was predominantly lined up against the team's best lineman...guys like Richmond Webb, Bruce Armstrong, John Alt, and occasionally, an Anthony Munoz.

Checkout the latest stats for Bruce Smith. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, college, draft, and more on Pro-football-reference.com.

Checkout the latest stats for Mario Williams. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, college, draft, and more on Pro-football-reference.com.

Reminds me of all the "I'm not saying he's Tom Brady...but Trent Edwards did this..." threads that were so popular at one time.

Mario isn't Bruce..never was, never will be...physical talent is comparable (in different ways), but he doesn't have Bruce's mental make up. Bruce understood things like leverage, how to use his speed...how to throw a guy off balance and then take him out...spin moves, swim moves, etc. Mario gets by on physical ability alone for the most part.

If you want to make a comparison...take a guy like JJ Watt. A guy with the physical similarities of Mario...but with a far more detailed understanding of hand - to - hand combat.
            No, you're wrong. By the age of 29, Bruce had 78 sacks. By the age of 29, Mario had 76.5.

Checkout the latest stats for Bruce Smith. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, college, draft, and more on Pro-football-reference.com.

Checkout the latest stats for Mario Williams. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, college, draft, and more on Pro-football-reference.com.

Count them up. I just did.

Comment

• cookie G
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
              No, you're wrong. By the age of 29, Bruce had 78 sacks. By the age of 29, Mario had 76.5.

Ah...so first 8 seasons vs. first 8 seasons isn't a valid comparison.

But ok...despite starting 25 MORE games "at this point in their careers", Mario still has FEWER sacks and about 100 FEWER tackles.

Uh huh...yeah...um...I can see..um...how he's...uh...close.

Anyway, I'm not saying that EJ Manuel is Tom Brady...but at this point in their careers...

Comment

• feldspar
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by X-Era View Post

He's obviously going by years, and you are going by age.

But if Mario Williams plays for 19 years like Bruce Smith did, he'll only have 181.7 sacks over his career at this rate. Bruce had 200.
                Last edited by feldspar; 02-01-2014, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• X-Era
                  What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                  Ah...so first 8 seasons vs. first 8 seasons isn't a valid comparison.

But ok...despite starting 25 MORE games "at this point in their careers", Mario still has FEWER sacks and about 100 FEWER tackles.

Uh huh...yeah...um...I can see..um...how he's...uh...close.

Anyway, I'm not saying that EJ Manuel is Tom Brady...but at this point in their careers...
                  It was a quick blurb that I saw. Yes it's by age. I don't go nuts with it.

Bruce is the best DE ever for the Bills and Mario isn't Bruce. I found it interesting. I didn't think it was even close. The point for me is that Mario is not garbage. Whether he earns all of that big contract over his whole run here remains to be seen.

Coastal can still be right about all this. I just thought it was interesting.

Comment

• JoeMama
                    Emotion Sickness
                    • Oct 2002

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                    Do u remember two years ago when Chris Kelsay was calling him out?
                    I try to remember as little as possible about Chris Kelsay.

But I do remember two weeks ago when MW booked a flight to Honolulu after a 13 sack season.

I don't hold the gazillion dollar contract against him personally. He doesn't pay himself.
                    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• coastal
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                      I try to remember as little as possible about Chris Kelsay.

But I do remember two weeks ago when MW booked a flight to Honolulu after a 13 sack season.

I don't hold the gazillion dollar contract against him personally. He doesn't pay himself.
                      I personally don't care what he makes either outside of him being the highest paid player in franchise history... on top of having a questionable work ethic.

that kind of dynamic is dangerous to group dynamics.

As far as the Probowl... big deal. i watched him play this year, and he mailed it on more than half the snaps, but everyone is hanging onto to those 13 sacks as if they shine bright like a diamond.

heres a hint... they don't. they never will and mario will go down as the underachieving check cashier that he is.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

13 sacks >>>>>>>>>> 4 INTs and bailing on your team three times in a single year.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• JoeMama
                          Emotion Sickness
                          • Oct 2002

I personally don't care what he makes either outside of him being the highest paid player in franchise history... on top of having a questionable work ethic.

As far as the Probowl... big deal. i watched him play this year, and he mailed it on more than half the snaps, but everyone is hanging onto to those 13 sacks as if they shine bright like a diamond.

heres a hint... they don't. they never will and mario will go down as the underachieving check cashier that he is.
                          It's lose/lose with you.

God knows you'd be rubbing it in everybody's faces if he only had 6 or 7 sacks.

Why act shocked that his 13 sacks are being rubbed in yours?

I've never seen a fan so bitter and angry about a player having a good season.
                          Last edited by JoeMama; 02-01-2014, 08:14 PM.
                          Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• feldspar
                            • Mar 2007

Yeah, you watched him play this year through a glass half-darkly or whatever the ****.

He made 2nd team All-Pro this year, only behind the two other guys on the first team, I believe. That's more meaningful than the Pro Bowl.

Your credibility on the matter is shot, to be honest with you. I can remember when you actually were adamant about your opinion that the Bills pretended to go after Tyson Clabo to sucker the fans into buying tickets...a Right Tackle. Ask people what they think of him at the moment. Unreal. And you can never entertain the idea that you may have been wrong.

I really don't think you are any kind of expert on group dynamics, either.

You and SpikedLemonade...he went off on endless rants about how Ralph Wilson is a racist because he probably wouldn't allow Cam Newton to be picked at #3 that year. He doesn't want black quarterbacks, according to him. So, Cam Newton didn't even fall to the Bills...then we now have our #1 AND #2 quarterbacks who are both black and he STILL maintains that Ralph Wilson is a racist? Why? Because he's a pud.

Comment

• coastal
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Mar 2005

It's my fault that I'm smarter than everyone else?

look... this is GROUP dynamics.

Mario is a total pudwhacker.

You know it. I know it. Even Chris Kelsay knew it:

And he's the highest paid, self-admitted, non-leader in the history of the franchise... and in the history of defensive players in the entire NFL!

Pettine was large enough to channel some of that talent some of the time to the benefit of the team this year.

What's going to happen when some screwball like Schwartz tries to get in his head?

another million dollar ring for a white woman and another sprained wrist?

its not hate... it's me trying to make you fool's see...

It isn't gold.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                                Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                                • Jun 2005

Smarter than everyone else hahahahahahaha thanx I needed that laugh you fudgepacking idiot

Comment

Working...
                                X