• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pmoon6
    Legendary Zoner
    • Dec 2002

Re: Mario Williams is "Fools Gold"

Originally posted by coastal View Post
    Continue to improve? You're making the assertion that the process has already begun?

Our defense sucks... plain and simple.

My take is "plug and play" solutions to deficit areas of the team without regard for the team IS the problem.

Mario is the crowning manifestation of that dynamic, and until that changes... the playoff drought will continue.

The next evolution of this will be our selection of a QB in the upcoming draft. Everyone is going to go ape and get in line at the alter of "saviors without a chance".

it won't be because the QB we actually select will be the problem... it's just that I have zero faith that whoever we do pick will be evaluated in the context of the greater whole.

but hey... Bills fans love unfulfilled promise as much as they do parking lots.
    If it makes you feel any better, I have already called DirectTV and cancelled my subscription for NFL ticket. That's the only thing I have spent money on for the last six years. I might watch if the Bills' game is on regular TV, but I'll be a ways from being a "Fan".

Comment

• coastal
      Legendary Zoner
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
      If it makes you feel any better, I have already called DirectTV and cancelled my subscription for NFL ticket. That's the only thing I have spent money on for the last six years. I might watch if the Bills' game is on regular TV, but I'll be a ways from being a "Fan".
      We deserve better moonie... All of us do.

and that includes someone better than Mario Williams... an uber-millionaire with a library and a bathroom the size of most our homes. Don't get me wrong... It's not jealousy of the stuff he has... It's that he has it on our dime and plays the game like a butt-fu@king quitter.

like I said... we all deserve better.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
        Lets GO BUFFALO!!
        • Jun 2005

We deserve better moonie... All of us do.

and that includes someone better than Mario Williams... an uber-millionaire with a library and a bathroom the size of most our homes. Don't get me wrong... It's not jealousy of the stuff he has... It's that he has it on our dime and plays the game like a butt-fu@king quitter.

like I said... we all deserve better.
        God dude you are way the **** out there. I think it is jealousy. Or he stole something from you. There is MUCH BIGGER problems on this team other than a DE that just came to the team. You need to get off his ballsack and move on. Didnt you say you were a niners fan now anyhow?

Comment

• cookie G
          • Mar 2003

Great point on Talley and totally true. He was his roomy and pushed Bruce to be the best he could be.
          I nominate Kyle Williams to take over that role. It might be a blow to his ego, considering KW was a 5th round pick that year, as opposed to the no. 1 pick in the draft, but se la vie. They have a lot invested in the guy and you might as well see what you can get out of him.

One of the criticisms last year was lack of pass rush. We went out and signed the best pass rusher available. We improved in that area,
          It improved against bad teams. Kelsay could get the 3 sack performance against the bad teams too on occasion. I think he got 3 against Denver last year, for instance. So he gets 2 or 3 more sacks per year than Kelsay...I ain't impressed.

but did anyone think he was the next Bruce Smith? I just pointed out that stat because the OP has been pimping San Francisco for the past two years and the lowly Bills have only one less sack.
          Maybe that's a clue that the garbage sack isn't all there is to playing defense. And therein lies the problem. The guy gets a garbage sack and people ooh and ahh, like that makes him some great DE or something.

Have I been disappointed with the defense, sure. However they did go through a 5 game stretch where the most points allowed was 15. Crappy teams? OK.
          Well, yeah, their O's were at the bottom of the league. Reality set back in as soon as Seattle showed up.

Bottom line is you can't win in this league playing defense with a strong running game and a game manager. Of the top 15 defenses, it looks like only 6 will make the playoffs. 5 of the bottom 12 will.
          Of the top 9 defenses, in terms of points allowed, only the Fins aren't going to the playoffs. (not sure of the Bears).
          Of the bottom 9 defenses, in terms of points allowed, only NO is going (are they? not sure).

Bills, Chiefs, Eagles, Raiders and Titans may be looking for new coaches, as may the Jags, Bucs and Lions.

So, would it have been more prudent to have gone after Peyton Manning or a top FA QB (How about Matt Flynn). I can't think of any others that were on the market. Should they have drafted one? Undoubtably, but then again QB's taken in the first three rounds bust as much as they succeed. I'm sure the Bills' would have taken Cousins had Washington not pulled the trigger.
          Assuming you're right for a second, it should make me feel good that the Bills' spent 3 years building a Maginot Line? (You can thank me for that later, I know you liked it).

So, you can bash Mario all you want,
          Thank you. I will.

the problem is not a defense that will continue to improve, it's a rinky dink offense that's easy to figure out and defend.
          The NFL hasn't quite yet reached the stage of Arena league.

Sooner or later, your D has to stop someone.

Against the Jets- With Mark Sanchez, the Jets scored on 5 of their 1st 6 possessions. Only one poss. was started in Buffalo territory;

Against the Pats- 14 of their last 19 possessions resulted in scores, including 11 TDS;

Against the 9er's- they gave up TD's in 6 of their last 7 possessions. Only 1 of those possessions started in Buffalo territory;

Against the Titans- the gave up TD's in 4 of their 1st 5 possessions. Only one started in Buffalo territory. With 3 minutes to go, all they had to do was prevent a TD. They couldn't do that;

Against Seattle- they gave up scores on 5 of their 1st 5 possessions, including 4 TDS. After a punt at the end of the half,
          they gave up 3 more scores on consecutive drives. Against the Seahawks, there hadn't been an offensive turnover in the entire 1st half, yet they were down 31-17.

Of course defense is the problem.

If they were intending on winning shoot outs, they probably should have added more than 1 weapon and 1 OL to their arsenal.

But they didn't, because they wanted a dominant defense.

And what they got is about as far as can be from dominating.

Comment

• coastal
            Legendary Zoner
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by SquishDaFish View Post
            God dude you are way the **** out there.
            although lonely at times... its quite beautiful! You're more than welcome here anytime you're ready.

Comment

• mysticsoto
              Too sober for this...
              • Apr 2004

I don't know how anyone can look at our defense and not place a good portion of the blame on Wannstadt. This defense definitely underachieved, and for all trying to blame Mario...what about everyone else? The entire defense did not play and become as dominating as expected. They did improve as the season went on but it still was a monumental failure by the coaching staff!

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by cookie G View Post

Against the Jets- With Mark Sanchez, the Jets scored on 5 of their 1st 6 possessions. Only one poss. was started in Buffalo territory;

Against the Pats- 14 of their last 19 possessions resulted in scores, including 11 TDS;

Against the 9er's- they gave up TD's in 6 of their last 7 possessions. Only 1 of those possessions started in Buffalo territory;

Against the Titans- the gave up TD's in 4 of their 1st 5 possessions. Only one started in Buffalo territory. With 3 minutes to go, all they had to do was prevent a TD. They couldn't do that;

Against Seattle- they gave up scores on 5 of their 1st 5 possessions, including 4 TDS. After a punt at the end of the half,
                they gave up 3 more scores on consecutive drives. Against the Seahawks, there hadn't been an offensive turnover in the entire 1st half, yet they were down 31-17.

If they were intending on winning shoot outs, they probably should have added more than 1 weapon and 1 OL to their arsenal.

**** like that is going to happen when you hire a guy that has been a DC exactly 1 season out of the previous 19 to run your defense, and in reality wasn't exactly stellar at it prior to that.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• pmoon6
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Dec 2002

I nominate Kyle Williams to take over that role. It might be a blow to his ego, considering KW was a 5th round pick that year, as opposed to the no. 1 pick in the draft, but se la vie. They have a lot invested in the guy and you might as well see what you can get out of him.

It improved against bad teams. Kelsay could get the 3 sack performance against the bad teams too on occasion. I think he got 3 against Denver last year, for instance. So he gets 2 or 3 more sacks per year than Kelsay...I ain't impressed.

Maybe that's a clue that the garbage sack isn't all there is to playing defense. And therein lies the problem. The guy gets a garbage sack and people ooh and ahh, like that makes him some great DE or something.

Well, yeah, their O's were at the bottom of the league. Reality set back in as soon as Seattle showed up.

Of the top 9 defenses, in terms of points allowed, only the Fins aren't going to the playoffs. (not sure of the Bears).
                  Of the bottom 9 defenses, in terms of points allowed, only NO is going (are they? not sure).

Bills, Chiefs, Eagles, Raiders and Titans may be looking for new coaches, as may the Jags, Bucs and Lions.

Assuming you're right for a second, it should make me feel good that the Bills' spent 3 years building a Maginot Line? (You can thank me for that later, I know you liked it).

Thank you. I will.

I will stop in next year and you can update me on how much the defense sucked. As far as "Arena League yet", you're wrong. I will add WWE. The NFL has become a joke.

Comment

• cookie G
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                    **** like that is going to happen when you hire a guy that has been a DC exactly 1 season out of the previous 19 to run your defense, and in reality wasn't exactly stellar at it prior to that.
                    **** like that is going to happen when you have a GM that decides to change the defense before he even hires a coach.

Accept it...Mario was his TO move.

And the funny thing is...he could have left the D alone and it would have been better than today.

IF you believe what Moonie says, it's a QB league, driven by scoring.

So...if he had left the defense alone that was 15th in opponents scoring...

Our receiving corps would be...

SJ
                    Julio Jones or AJ Green
                    and dual TE's of Jimmy Graham and Gronk.

They'd be thrown to by Dalton/Kaepernick and/or Russell Wilson. they could alternate weeks or something.

People worried about who they were going to double on the D Line?

Who ya gonna double on O?? AJ Green? SJ? Gronk? Graham? Spiller?

But...he couldn't resist...he had to screw up the D.

Comment

• cookie G
                      • Mar 2003

I will stop in next year and you can update me on how much the defense sucked. As far as "Arena League yet", you're wrong. I will add WWE. The NFL has become a joke.
                      At least stop in on those Sundays where Mario gets some meaningless sack and say "HA!!! I TOLD YA SO!"

PS, the venison kabobs I made as a side for Xmas were a hit with our guests. Dances with Wolves was proud.

Comment

• Mouldsie
                        • Aug 2012

**** like that is going to happen when you have a GM that decides to change the defense before he even hires a coach.

Accept it...Mario was his TO move.

And the funny thing is...he could have left the D alone and it would have been better than today.

IF you believe what Moonie says, it's a QB league, driven by scoring.

So...if he had left the defense alone that was 15th in opponents scoring...

Our receiving corps would be...

SJ
                        Julio Jones or AJ Green
                        and dual TE's of Jimmy Graham and Gronk.

They'd be thrown to by Dalton/Kaepernick and/or Russell Wilson. they could alternate weeks or something.

People worried about who they were going to double on the D Line?

Who ya gonna double on O?? AJ Green? SJ? Gronk? Graham? Spiller?

But...he couldn't resist...he had to screw up the D.
                        This is fair

Comment

• Mouldsie
                          • Aug 2012

A hundo... Ill pay up!
                          I'll total them up after sunday

Comment

• pmoon6
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Dec 2002

At least stop in on those Sundays where Mario gets some meaningless sack and say "HA!!! I TOLD YA SO!"

PS, the venison kabobs I made as a side for Xmas were a hit with our guests. Dances with Wolves was proud.
                            HA!!! I could give a **** less and I never say "I told ya so" even if I am correct. My ego isn't predicated on guessing what may or may not work in the NFL. I always just watched and supported my team.

What did you use for the kababs, inner loin or backstrap?

Comment

• coastal
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Mar 2005

Jimmy Graham
                              5cardstuds.jpg

Comment

• coastal
                                Legendary Zoner
                                • Mar 2005