• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IlluminatusUIUC
    • Sep 2012

Re: Mario Williams is "Fools Gold"

Originally posted by Historian View Post
    And that's the whole point to this thread. Just the latest in a long line of high profile misfires.
    If every player we sign is going to have to carry the weight of 16 years of missed expectations, then naturally bitterness and threads like this are going to result.

He was brought it to get sacks and he did. He was brought in to improve our defense and he did. When he stopped doing that, we cut him.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• feldspar
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
      Portrait of the new age American, especially American women.

Still children even in their 40's.
      Yeah, she throws temper tantrums when she doesn't get his attention and considers this a positive thing? It's childish, like you allude to...that's obvious.

So it really comes as no surprise that coastal NEEDS his attention as well...thus this thread going on 1,500 posts. He had one on the Range that was gigantic too. Why? "Look at me. Look at me!"

If you get attention, that makes you very important and special, right? Doesn't even matter HOW you get said attention either to "those people" apparently.
      Last edited by feldspar; 03-10-2016, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• coastal
        Legendary Zoner
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
        If every player we sign is going to have to carry the weight of 16 years of missed expectations, then naturally bitterness and threads like this are going to result.

He was brought it to get sacks and he did. He was brought in to improve our defense and he did. When he stopped doing that, we cut him.
        You're missing the point... which is suprising to me because you're one of the smarter posters out here IMO.

first and only question and to address your statement about Mario being brought in for sacks and please answer this as honestly as you can (putting aside all of the BS in this thread)... was it wise for a franchise without an NFL playoffs starting caliber QB to make a guy like Mario, who had to that point in his career promising but inconsistent production, the highest paid player in the history of the franchise and the highest paid defensive player in the history of the game... to as you put it.... get sacks?

My answer to that is no and throughout this whole thread I've provided snipets as to why.

honestly I can't figure out why this is a hard concept to get.

Comment

• feldspar
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by coastal View Post
          You're missing the point... which is suprising to me because you're one of the smarter posters out here IMO.

first and only question and to address your statement about Mario being brought in for sacks and please answer this as honestly as you can (putting aside all of the BS in this thread)... was it wise for a franchise without an NFL playoffs starting caliber QB to make a guy like Mario, who had to that point in his career promising but inconsistent production, the highest paid player in the history of the franchise and the highest paid defensive player in the history of the game... to as you put it.... get sacks?

My answer to that is no and throughout this whole thread I've provided snipets as to why.

I solemnly promise that you should shut the **** up, finally.

It's over, Sport.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
            • Sep 2012

I think you are creating a false choice. Improving the defense does not mean we lose the chance to find a franchise QB. What franchise QB did signing Mario cost us? The one you keep bringing up is Manning, but we were never a possibility for him.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

It's a false concept that, if anything, was proven wrong once again by Denver this season. NFL teams can win championships with less than stellar QBing if they have a dominant defense. Anybody that doesn't acknowledge that Manning was a thin shell of his former self, basically a non-factor in the playoffs and Super Bowl, and Osweiler was middling just isn't paying attention. Buffalo actually was going about the building process the right way this time, until they fubared everything with the Wrecks hire last off season.

They built a dominant defense, and that started with Mario.

People should be frustrated with the lack of playoffs. People should be frustrated with hiring Wrecks. People should understand that Buffalo very could well have been Denver this season, with the established state of the defense and especially considering the 'upgrades' on offense made last off season. People shouldn't be pissed that the team threw a boatload of money at a possible future HOFer that actually (mostly) delivered what was expected, they should be pissed that they had actually gotten to the point where something was built...something was ready for success...and they flushed everything down the drain by hiring a buffoon to run the show from the sidelines.

If my choices are paying Mario or paying Wrecks, I'm ponying up for Williams. Every. Damn, Time.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• coastal
                Legendary Zoner
                • Mar 2005

I think you are creating a false choice. Improving the defense does not mean we lose the chance to find a franchise QB. What franchise QB did signing Mario cost us? The one you keep bringing up is Manning, but we were never a possibility for him.
                Again you're still missing the point.

Try this... forget Mario Williams even exists and go back to the Drew Bledsoe trade.

what team won that trade?

Comment

• feldspar
                  • Mar 2007

Try this... forget Mario Williams even exists and go back to the Drew Bledsoe trade.

Maybe at post 3,000, after your wife climbs offs your dick, those people will finally get the point.

To you, I make this solemn promise.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

What team won the Hughes/Sheppard trade?
                    What team won the McCoy/Alonso trade?
                    If Cleveland offered the Bills Cameron Erving, Ibreheim Campbell, and Justin Gilbert for Sammy Watkins would you take it?
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

Again you're still missing the point
                      I understand your point. It's not a complicated argument. I disagree with its premises and your conclusion.

The Pats did. How is this relevant to the current thread?

Comment

• mysticsoto
                        Too sober for this...
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                        It's a false concept that, if anything, was proven wrong once again by Denver this season. NFL teams can win championships with less than stellar QBing if they have a dominant defense. Anybody that doesn't acknowledge that Manning was a thin shell of his former self, basically a non-factor in the playoffs and Super Bowl, and Osweiler was middling just isn't paying attention. Buffalo actually was going about the building process the right way this time, until they fubared everything with the Wrecks hire last off season.

They built a dominant defense, and that started with Mario.

People should be frustrated with the lack of playoffs. People should be frustrated with hiring Wrecks. People should understand that Buffalo very could well have been Denver this season, with the established state of the defense and especially considering the 'upgrades' on offense made last off season. People shouldn't be pissed that the team threw a boatload of money at a possible future HOFer that actually (mostly) delivered what was expected, they should be pissed that they had actually gotten to the point where something was built...something was ready for success...and they flushed everything down the drain by hiring a buffoon to run the show from the sidelines.

If my choices are paying Mario or paying Wrecks, I'm ponying up for Williams. Every. Damn, Time.
                        I sort of agree in that I don't like that we've essentially dismantled what was a very strong defense - for no reason other than the coach wants to implement a different scheme. I'm usually against those types of moves. I believe schemes should reflect personnel and not the other way around which is what Rex is doing. Normally I prefer a 3-4, but we didn't have the personnel for it and more importantly, we had a very strong 4-3...why change it?

I'm just hoping that Rex can quickly get a 3-4 alignment running smoothly and well. But I have a nagging underlying belief that he won't and Buffalo will continue the playoff drought. I hope I'm wrong...

On a sidenote, I've been critical of Whaley, but he's been having a good offseason!

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                          Pinkerton's son
                          • Feb 2006

Can we delete this thread for all of time so I never have to see it pop up again?

Comment

• coastal
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Mar 2005

How is this relevant to the current thread?
                            we will get there.

first... what did it say that NE would be willing to trade their "franchise quarterback" to a division rival?

Comment

• coastal
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                              What team won the Hughes/Sheppard trade?
                              What team won the McCoy/Alonso trade?
                              If Cleveland offered the Bills Cameron Erving, Ibreheim Campbell, and Justin Gilbert for Sammy Watkins would you take it?
                              Clearly, intelligence isn't a requirement for the COTRM's Sargent at Arms position.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Pinkerton Security View Post
                              Can we delete this thread for all of time so I never have to see it pop up again?
                              Please leave my thread D-list poster.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                                • Sep 2012

we will get there.

first... what did it say that NE would be willing to trade their "franchise quarterback" to a division rival?
                                It said that he wasn't their franchise quarterback any more, because the backup had just won a Super Bowl.

Comment

Working...
                                X