Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cordy Glenn gets some love from Peter King

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Cordy Glenn gets some love from Peter King

Dr. Z Unsung Man in the Trenches of the Week

The award for the offensive lineman who was the biggest factor for his team in the weekend's games, named for my friend Paul Zimmerman, the longtime SI football writer struggling in New Jersey to recover from three strokes in November 2008. Zim, a former collegiate offensive lineman himself, loved watching offensive line play.

Cordy Glenn, T, Buffalo. C.J. Spiller followed up a 169-yard performance last week with a 123-yarder Sunday against Kansas City, becoming the first back since Jim Brown in 1963 to have an average of more than 10 yards per rush after two weeks of a season. Against K.C., Glenn had a key block on the opening touchdown, a short pass from Ryan Fitzpatrick to Scott Chandler, and a few minutes later sprung Spiller on his first touchdown run of the day, a five-yarder, with a crushing block. And on the third scoring drive by the Bills, Glenn made a block to help spring Spiller for 27. Not bad for the 41st pick in the draft, starting as a rookie at the toughest spot on the line.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz26jYak2l4

Thanks
    Thanked 5,215 Times in 3,684 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Cordy Glenn gets some love from Peter King

He is the real deal.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

it's early yet just like it was too early to call him a mistake in preseason.

4. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (09-17-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

but all of the draft 'experts' insisted that Cordy could not play left tackle in the NFL.

6. Post thanked by:

Beebe (09-18-2012),justasportsfan (09-17-2012),k-oneputt (09-17-2012),Michael82 (09-17-2012),mysticsoto (09-18-2012),Night Train (09-18-2012),The last buffalo fan (09-17-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I really think he's going to be something special.

Let's turn him into one of the best LTs in the league and then trade him off for a late first rounder.

Successful drafting, Buffalo style.

8. Post thanked by:

BillsFever21 (09-17-2012),El Guapo (09-17-2012),IlluminatusUIUC (09-20-2012),imbondz (09-17-2012),jimmifli (09-18-2012),Stewie (09-18-2012),Thurmal (09-21-2012)

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,714 Times in 3,432 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Is it me, or does King have the chronology of the game wrong here? Whatever.... I like the main point.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 4,053 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I was gonna make a thread giving him some love, but I'm glad to see one already exists. I didn't love the pick when we made it, but after that game I think Cordy could be the real deal. Not only was he solid on the line, but as a lead blocker downfield he was a menace. When a guy that size can move like he did, that's a scary thing for defenses.

11. Post thanked by:

Lucidvizion (09-17-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,931 Times in 4,035 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I went back before bed and rewound a few quarters, watching him in particular. We haven't had that type of run blocking from the LT since Peters. He rarely misses his guy, and when the need presents itself, he moves people rather than just sealing him off. He had a few pancakes, Dorsey at least once, Derrick Johnson once, and I actually felt sorry for the Chief's DB (Arenas, I think) on the on TD run.

I only saw him get beat on pass pro once, but that might have been a blocking assignment error. Hali slipped to the inside and Levitre missed him too.

BTW, for those who think Gailey was being "too cute" on his play calling...the run calls were fantastic. On nearly every big run, the play had not only the DL, but the LB's and DB's flowing away from the ball, rather than to it. Some of that was through misdirection, some of it was that the Chief's were clearly thinking pass when it was a running play. Not all of them work, of course, thus the plays that make him look "too cute".

But most of them did work.

He killed Romeo Crennel in the chess match yesterday.

13. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (09-18-2012),Lucidvizion (09-17-2012),mysticsoto (09-18-2012),The last buffalo fan (09-17-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I loved watching him crush his guy on that one touchdown. He had several other good blocks too. I was even talking to the guy next to me and we laughed at Mel Kiper who said he couldn't play tackle in the NFL and was strictly a guard.

15. Post thanked by:

k-oneputt (09-17-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Mike Mayock can suck it, guard my ass.

17. Post thanked by:

k-oneputt (09-17-2012),MTBillsFan (09-17-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,431 Times in 2,008 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I loved the pick when we made it, but I had my concerns during preseason. Glenn was great yesterday though, and Spiller mentioned him specifically also during his post game press conference.

I can't remember the last time I really liked our O-line, but I like this one a lot. I even like our depth with Hairston and Rinehart.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Dude's going to be a stud. My dad thought he looked like Howard "house" Ballard from the early 90's.
    Send me some wings!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    I went back before bed and rewound a few quarters, watching him in particular. We haven't had that type of run blocking from the LT since Peters. He rarely misses his guy, and when the need presents itself, he moves people rather than just sealing him off. He had a few pancakes, Dorsey at least once, Derrick Johnson once, and I actually felt sorry for the Chief's DB (Arenas, I think) on the on TD run.

I only saw him get beat on pass pro once, but that might have been a blocking assignment error. Hali slipped to the inside and Levitre missed him too.

BTW, for those who think Gailey was being "too cute" on his play calling...the run calls were fantastic. On nearly every big run, the play had not only the DL, but the LB's and DB's flowing away from the ball, rather than to it. Some of that was through misdirection, some of it was that the Chief's were clearly thinking pass when it was a running play. Not all of them work, of course, thus the plays that make him look "too cute".

You can get on Gailey for his playcalling at times, or his devotion to Fitz, but the way draws up the run game week after week is really fun to watch. Jimmy Johnson made a point of it last year, and it's held since. One of the best in the league at drawing up the run.

21. Post thanked by:

cookie G (09-18-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by billsburgh View Post
    but all of the draft 'experts' insisted that Cordy could not play left tackle in the NFL.
    Which made no sense considering his experience there in college as well as his impressive measurables. 36" arms and 10 1/8 in hands. Not to mention his mobility.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,496 Times in 15,582 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I thought Pears had two good games too.

He's mean and nasty.

24. Post thanked by:

Night Train (09-18-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,662 Times in 17,512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Glenn has been more than a pleasant surprise...he was one of the few bright spots in the loss to the Jets, actually, as well as putting in a )dare I say it?) almost dominant performance yesterday. He really gets to the second level effectively.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I too noticed the Chiefs DB (Arenas?). It was hilarious. He looked like a pedestrian back peddling as a skyscraper is about to fall on him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Michael82 View Post
    I loved watching him crush his guy on that one touchdown. He had several other good blocks too. I was even talking to the guy next to me and we laughed at Mel Kiper who said he couldn't play tackle in the NFL and was strictly a guard.
    The fact that he projects as a pro bowl guard does not mean that he cannot become a pro bowl tackle. He reminds me a lot of you know who downfield in the run game.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,123 Times in 3,595 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jdaltroy5 View Post
    I really think he's going to be something special.

Let's turn him into one of the best LTs in the league and then trade him off for a late first rounder.

Successful drafting, Buffalo style.
    Peters was undrafted. And his career is over after 3 (2 of them good) years in Philly. Bell, who was drafted, is no loss.

And if Glenn doesn't act like a richard and continues to put in the effort, he'll be re-signed.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,123 Times in 3,595 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think that the Wildcat deep in their territory was dumb. Other than that, I think Gailey called a good game.

However I think that Fitz scrambling added another dimension to the offense that's been lacking for awhile. I think that Gailey has been trying to make Fitz a pure pocket passer, and Fitz is loathe to run when the opp presents itself. IMHO he needs to run a few designed scramble plays early to get into the heads of the defense...early.

30. Post thanked by:

coastal (09-19-2012)