Thread: UFL is back on Wednesday

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

UFL is back on Wednesday

Like a tree falling in an empty forest, the UFL will be starting the season Wednesday night. Games will be on CBS sports network. Among the ex-Bills are Brian Brohm & James Hardy-guys who were total NFL busts that some fans around here viewed as starting material.

It's pretty amazing that this now 4 team league is still round considering that they get about as much publicity as if they are playing games on the moon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 770 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: UFL is back on Wednesday

There are a lot of fans who think just about every player who gets some playing time or was drafted is starting material. There are way too many list of names to run through them all.

One current one is Arthur Moats. A lot of people thought he was the next James Harrison just because he had a few sacks with one of them knocking Favre out of a game and ending his streak. There are still some who are holding onto that hope. Then you have Marcus Easley who some still think will be good even though he couldn't make the roster out of training camp.
    Last edited by BillsFever21; 09-22-2012 at 03:32 PM.

3. Post thanked by:

more cowbell (09-24-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
    Like a tree falling in an empty forest, the UFL will be starting the season Wednesday night. Games will be on CBS sports network. Among the ex-Bills are Brian Brohm & James Hardy-guys who were total NFL busts that some fans around here viewed as starting material.

It's pretty amazing that this now 4 team league is still round considering that they get about as much publicity as if they are playing games on the moon.
    Is Jim Fassell still coaching over there?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    Is Jim Fassell still coaching over there?
    Yes, but he's the last of the name coaches. Denny Green & Marty Schottenheimer bailed & I heard that Denny is suing for money they owe him. Ex-Bill OC & QB coach Turk Schonert replaced Denny Green in Sacramento, Mart's son Kurt replaced him in Virginia & ex-Bill assistant Don Lawrence is an assistant coach in Omaha.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 770 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Turk Schonert lol. Another great decision making him the OC by the Bills and the great front offices they have had over the years. There are all kinds of failed Bills circulating a league with only four teams.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Four teams? the playoffs in that league must be outstanding.

Will not tolerate vandalism. Johnny Bugmenot's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BADTHINGSMAN View Post
    Four teams? the playoffs in that league must be outstanding.
    Just a one-off championship.

For the record, Michael Jasper has also turned up in the UFL, in Omaha-- same team as James Hardy.

The Meathead of Muslims! ticatfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,537 Times in 2,764 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

.The UFL is where players that can't make the CFL go.
    Political correctness ( or cancel culture as it is called today) is a doctrine fostered by a delusional ,illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by MSM which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
    Harry S Truman 1941.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,070 Times in 2,006 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm more intrested in the USFL's rebirth

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

...and, four weeks after the UFL started, it's done.

Let me put it this way, there was at least one game that drew less than 1,000 fans. Possibly a second, too, but they were so embarrassed they refused to release the attendance total for that one. The players started demanding their money, then Marty Schottenheimer sued for his.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

yeah i just heard about that...hhmmm I wonder why??
    The enemy deserves no mercy....mercy is for the weak.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bugmenot View Post
    ...and, four weeks after the UFL started, it's done.

Let me put it this way, there was at least one game that drew less than 1,000 fans. Possibly a second, too, but they were so embarrassed they refused to release the attendance total for that one. The players started demanding their money, then Marty Schottenheimer sued for his.
    I went to 1 UFL game in the 1st season. The game was in Hartford,CT & they drew about 1,800 in a 40,000 seat stadium and announced the attendance over 5,000. So what did they do? They moved the NY team (whose home game was the one in Hartford in season 1) to Hartford for season 2.
    Here's the funiest story I have from the game: I had watched prior games on TV & I knew they were padding the attendance. So I decided to count the crowd & took photos of the entire stands so I could verify my findings when I got home. When the Hartford paper had a story & the guy who wrote it stated there were over 5,000 in attendance, I e-mailed the guy & asked him why he reported the announced attendance when it was so obvious that there was less than half that amount of people in the stands, and I accused him of shilling for the league because I knew the league was considering moving to Hartford the following season. The guy got super indignant because I "questioned his integrity" said he'd been to the stadium numerous times & he knows as much or more about the attendance than me. Then he said the magic words "did you count the people in the stands?" I answered by apologizing for questioning his integrity & answered As a matter of fact, I did! I offered to send him the photographic evidence but he never responded for me to send him the photos, so we agreed to disagree & I dropped it. This guy was about the most thin skinned guy I've ever seen.

PS: They're threatening a spring comeback and a fall 2013 season:http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...a1e_story.html
    Last edited by Albany,n.y.; 10-21-2012 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I went to 1 UFL game in the 1st season. The game was in Hartford,CT & they drew about 1,800 in a 40,000 seat stadium and announced the attendance over 5,000. So what did they do? They moved the NY team (whose home game was the one in Hartford in season 1) to Hartford for season 2.
    Here's the funiest story I have from the game: I had watched prior games on TV & I knew they were padding the attendance. So I decided to count the crowd & took photos of the entire stands so I could verify my findings when I got home. When the Hartford paper had a story & the guy who wrote it stated there were over 5,000 in attendance, I e-mailed the guy & asked him why he reported the announced attendance when it was so obvious that there was less than half that amount of people in the stands, and I accused him of shilling for the league because I knew the league was considering moving to Hartford the following season. The guy got super indignant because I "questioned his integrity" said he'd been to the stadium numerous times & he knows as much or more about the attendance than me. Then he said the magic words "did you count the people in the stands?" I answered by apologizing for questioning his integrity & answered As a matter of fact, I did! I offered to send him the photographic evidence but he never responded for me to send him the photos, so we agreed to disagree & I dropped it. This guy was about the most thin skinned guy I've ever seen.

PS: They're threatening a spring comeback and a fall 2013 season:http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...a1e_story.html
    I remember that game. I seem to recall the only reason they had this love affair with Hartford was that their commissioner (who would later be caught up in some agent scandal in Florida) was from Hartford. That game, as I recall, was published to be on a Thursday night and then they very quietly moved it to Saturday. They pulled a lot of strange moves like that. The other two of that team's games was supposed to be played in New York City-- Citi Field, to be specific. One ended up in New Jersey and the other on some rinky-dink stadium in Long Island. Games that were supposed to be in Los Angeles ended up in Las Vegas, San Francisco games were moved to San Jose, you name it.

It seemed like they got their act together the second year, other than the bizarre Hartford thing (which pretty much killed their chances of a paying TV deal). They put a team in Omaha-- which, in and of itself, looked totally bizarre, but proved to be inspired once they started selling out the stadium to watch names like Jeff Garcia and Ahman Green. They moved lowly San Francisco out to Sacramento and they sold out their games, too.

Then they ran out of money, and it's been all downhill from there.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bugmenot View Post
    I remember that game. I seem to recall the only reason they had this love affair with Hartford was that their commissioner (who would later be caught up in some agent scandal in Florida) was from Hartford. That game, as I recall, was published to be on a Thursday night and then they very quietly moved it to Saturday. They pulled a lot of strange moves like that. The other two of that team's games was supposed to be played in New York City-- Citi Field, to be specific. One ended up in New Jersey and the other on some rinky-dink stadium in Long Island. Games that were supposed to be in Los Angeles ended up in Las Vegas, San Francisco games were moved to San Jose, you name it.

It seemed like they got their act together the second year, other than the bizarre Hartford thing (which pretty much killed their chances of a paying TV deal). They put a team in Omaha-- which, in and of itself, looked totally bizarre, but proved to be inspired once they started selling out the stadium to watch names like Jeff Garcia and Ahman Green. They moved lowly San Francisco out to Sacramento and they sold out their games, too.

Then they ran out of money, and it's been all downhill from there.
    The game I went to was on a Thursday night 11/12/09. It was never moved to Saturday. I had to take 1.5 days off from work to go to the game, I stayed at a motel near the airport.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The game I went to was on a Thursday night 11/12/09. It was never moved to Saturday. I had to take 1.5 days off from work to go to the game, I stayed at a motel near the airport.
    I couldn't remember, if it was a Saturday-to-Thursday or Thursday-to-Saturday. I know they released one schedule with a Thursday and the other with a Saturday.