• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IlluminatusUIUC
    • Sep 2012

Re: Gailey says quarterback isn't a issue, but soon could be

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
    If true, were screwed because Fitz can't hit them. I honestly can't think of one long throw that he's hit... Maybe Graham?
    Ummmmm..... You got me.

BY PASS PLAY CMP ATT YDS CMP% AVG LNG TD INT SACK RAT
    Passs Thrown Behind Line of Scrimmage 22 27 180 81.5 6.67 32 1 0 0 106.8
    Pass Thrown 1-10 yds 29 46 331 63.0 7.20 68 6 1 0 115.1
    Pass Thrown 11-20 yds 17 41 297 41.5 7.24 43 3 4 0 51.6
    Pass Thrown 21-30 yds 3 6 89 50.0 14.83 35 2 0 0 135.4
    Pass Thrown 31-40 yds 1 5 34 20.0 6.80 34 0 2 0 15.8
    View the 2021 NFL season full splits for Ryan Fitzpatrick of the Washington on ESPN. Includes full stats per opponent, and home and away games.
    Last edited by IlluminatusUIUC; 10-08-2012, 09:51 AM.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by buffalobillsfan95 View Post
      I hope that we actually stay with fitz this season

What if tarvaris Jackson lights it up and prevent a early round qb to be drafted again....
      Obviously you've never watched Jackson play. That's not going to happen.

And honestly, I have to wonder if the lack of even a mediocre back-up is one of the reasons Gailey is sticking with Fitz. I think he has so little confidence in Thigpen and Jackson that, as bad as Fitz is, he thinks they'll be even worse.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• jimmifli
        • Nov 2006

I can't believe I'm going to defend Fitz for a sec but in actuality he's fine in the short and intermediate routes running our spread. I'd like to have the long ball available but Gailey needs to just take any play farther than 20 yards out of the playbook. We have success moving the ball when we stick to our shorter game. Fitz gets the ball out quick and finds open guys. I think we should just stick with that and forget the long ball.

That said, you will not find me arguing with upgrading Fitz. I want better at that position. I think we can win with him if we stick to what he actually can do but I want better talent there overall.
        Even a QB with an 80% completion percentage isn't going to sustain drives when every pass is 6 yards. 0.8 * 0.8 * 0.8 * 0.8 * 0.8 ... the odds of completing five straight passes is only 32%, and you've only gone 30 yards. And Fitz isn't throwing anywhere near 80%.

The short passes set up the big plays, like that pass to CJ - spread it out get a LB in coverage and force the safety to cover one of the WR. Then watch CJ blow by the LB 30 yards down the field.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
          Skoobasaurus-Rex
          • Oct 2011

Fiz can't pass 25 yards, it's a stretch.

Comment

• X-Era
            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
            Even a QB with an 80% completion percentage isn't going to sustain drives when every pass is 6 yards. 0.8 * 0.8 * 0.8 * 0.8 * 0.8 ... the odds of completing five straight passes is only 32%, and you've only gone 30 yards. And Fitz isn't throwing anywhere near 80%.

The short passes set up the big plays, like that pass to CJ - spread it out get a LB in coverage and force the safety to cover one of the WR. Then watch CJ blow by the LB 30 yards down the field.
            My only point is that this offense can move the ball and put up points, that's proven. And also that Fitz can't hit the long ball, that's also proven.

Do I want the limitation of only being able to complete short throws? Absolutely not.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by GingerP View Post
              Actually, what he said was Fitz wasn't the problem. He said don't go there. He hasn't wavered on Fitz at all.
              Obviously he's not going to dog Fitz to the media, but that insults our intelligence.

Fitz isn't the ONLY problem, but he is a problem. Anyone with half a brain can see him missing passes left and right.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• jimmifli
                • Nov 2006

My only point is that this offense can move the ball and put up points, that's proven. And also that Fitz can't hit the long ball, that's also proven.

Do I want the limitation of only being able to complete short throws? Absolutely not.
                It's not proven. It's proven they can score points with the spread if teams defend against the deep ball. The Jets didn't, they sat on short routes and killed us. San Francisco was happy to leave single coverage on anything deep to protect against the short trows. We moved the ball a little, but without long plays, it's mathematically impossible to sustain drives.

Comment

• imbondz
                  Democrats are people too
                  • Jan 2003

everyone is the problem. the coach should be saying every single player is the problem and no one is exempt from being called out publicly when you lose 52-28 and 45- 3 in back to back games.
                  My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                    Skoobasaurus-Rex
                    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by imbondz View Post
                    everyone is the problem. the coach should be saying every single player is the problem and no one is exempt from being called out publicly when you lose 52-28 and 45- 3 in back to back games.
                    97 points against translates into ~800 points given up for the year, who's in charge there ?

Comment

• dannyek71
                      Drink Responsibly
                      • Dec 2004

Now now now. What about how Gailey turns all QBs to look great?
                      [

Comment

• X-Era
                        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
                        It's not proven. It's proven they can score points with the spread if teams defend against the deep ball. The Jets didn't, they sat on short routes and killed us. San Francisco was happy to leave single coverage on anything deep to protect against the short trows. We moved the ball a little, but without long plays, it's mathematically impossible to sustain drives.
                        Last year and some of this year proves we can score points. I just don't see any real impediment to being productive on offense talent wise. The only place where we are hindered by talent is the long ball IMO. The spread allows WR's to match up on LB'ers and also allows more room to run. You don't have to throw 20+ yards down field to move the ball if you can find favorable match ups and keep the defense guessing as to run or pass.

Fitz was 11th in the league in passing yards last year (3832) and 10th in TD's (24). He can move the ball. Last year he threw 12 picks between 1 and 10 yards out of 308 att. that's 3.8%. He threw 11 picks between 11 and 40 yards out of 162 attempts; that's 6.8%. Out of those 4 came on throws between 21 and 40 yards out of 51 attempts; that's 7.8%. It's clear that the farther he throws the less accurate he is. That's probably true for anyone but at the same time watching him he often underthrows and hits the defender right in the chest.

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                          Will not tolerate vandalism.
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by dannyek71 View Post
                          Now now now. What about how Gailey turns all QBs to look great?
                          That, and Wannstedt's defenses were always in the top 10 of the league. This looks more and more like they're getting paid off on the side to lose.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • May 2009

Chan Gaylee is a complete idiot.

Comment

• RedEyE
                              • Jul 2002

One thing I always liked and respected about Chan was his bluntness. So why all of sudden is he turning a blind eye?

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                                Skoobasaurus-Rex
                                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by RedEyE View Post
                                One thing I always liked and respected about Chan was his bluntness. So why all of sudden is he turning a blind eye?
                                He's blind to what's needed, balls.

Comment

Working...
                                X