• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Seriously? Cutler, Vick and Rivers?

Look, Fitz sucks and this team has lacked a franchise QB since Jim Kelly. At this point, there is pretty much universal agreement on this board regarding that statement. Even most of those who supported Fitz going into the season have been forced to rethink their stance. Personally, I thought we could win with Fitz as a "caretaker" QB if we had a good D and running game around him, but now it's painfully obvious that's not the case.

But let's not let our desire for a franchise QB cause us to rewrite history or lose our judgment.

Cutler is a headcase who has never been more than moderately successful. He's not a leader or a winner.

Rivers has some decent numbers, but likely wouldn't put up those numbers in Buffalo. And while he's no Cutler, he isn't mentally tough either.

Vick has been a turnover machine. And when he came back to the NFL, he had been out of the league for 2 years, and was a QB who relied on his legs more than his arm even before that. Even Philly was surprised when he played like a real QB for a season or so.

While these guys are probably all better than Fitz, none are franchise QB's and none would get us any further than a Wild Card with an early playoff exit, if that far.

This team needs a franchise QB. We don't need to trade a ****ty non-franchise QB for an average non-franchise QB. Some of you can't see the forest from the trees. "Different" isn't necessarily better, and when you're as bad as the Bills, "better" isn't necessarily good, or even necessarily good enough.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • imbondz
    Democrats are people too
    • Jan 2003

Re: Seriously? Cutler, Vick and Rivers?

out of those 3 i'd still take Rivers, even tho I agree with your take on all 3
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
      • Sep 2003

He sure put on a display in the second half last night...
      "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Prov401
        President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
        • Aug 2008

When I think of 'franchise' QB's, and fat long term contracts, I have to envision that individual being able to lead a team to that stage with the Commissioner at the end of the season. Brady, Rodgers, P/E Manning, Roethlisbeger, and Brees are obviously in that category. They give their respective teams a chance every season to stand on that stage. Then I look at payers who haven't been there, but would certainly call a 'franchise' type of guy; Ryan, Schuab, Flacco (Luck and RG3, too early to tell, but I think they're both heading in that direction). Then there are the serviceable, Brad Johnson type of players. Rivers, Cutler, and Stafford along with a great coaching staff and all around team are worth the money, as long as everything else around them are in place IMO. Tannenhill, Locker, Weeden, Gabbert, R. Wilson, Newton, Ponder and Dalton are guys that are still too young to stamp thus far, though Dalton and Newton enjoyed good rookie seasons, they are both kind of struggling this year, so I'd give the standard three year assessment to comfortably label any of those players.

Then you have the, 'how the hell do these guys make that much money/they should be career back-ups' category. Fitz, Sanchez, Kolb, Romo, and Cassel should not be starting QB's in this league, with the exception to Romo, though he should not be making the money he's making. Palmer and Vick are past their prime, but given a chance to be in a lucky Trent Dilfer role, they can enjoy some success, however their contracts are silly at their respective ages.

Comment

• Prov401
          President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
          • Aug 2008

And to add to my post, I wouldn't trade for the mentioned QB's (Cutler, Rivers, Vick). Though if Cutler/Rivers were let go, I'd take them at a reasonable cost as they are both still young, able to make improvements to their game, and have enjoyed success in their careers.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
            Peterman Sucks!
            • Mar 2006

I'd trade everyone on the offense besides Spiller and Johnson for any of those QBs.

They're all proven. They've all been in the playoffs. They all can win in the playoffs.

Without a QB you're going nowhere as everyone around here should know.

Comment

• Oaf
              Do you read what you write?
              • Jun 2007

All three are good and are playoff-caliber upgrades for 2-3 seasons more. I don't see what the problem about acquiring either of them is.

Comment

• Luisito23
                Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                • Apr 2003

Anyone here who seriously would not want those QBs here needs to think about the question again.
                "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Syderick
                  • Apr 2006

Heck i'd take any of these QBs. The Bills don't seem to have good scouts to find a QB via draft, trade or free agent. However you have to take in account the delusion of "Franchise Qb". He doesn't have to be 6'5 rocket arm to succeed, or be the next Jim Kelly as long as he can be himself, consistent, and reliable.
                  3,000,000th post on BZ!

Comment

• Mouldsie
                    • Aug 2012

I'd love Cutler. I'll take Lovie Smith too. Bears fans can be fickle, too bad they haven't been run out of town yet.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • May 2009

I would take any of those three guys over Putzpatrick every time.
                      Last edited by BertSquirtgum; 10-17-2012, 01:39 AM.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

People are getting desperate.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

Cutler & Rivers aren't leaders at all and have reportedly had problems in the locker room countless times. Vick is turning the ball over at a record rate.

Draft your guy in Round 1 this coming April and surround him with a good OL and proper coaching. There are more than 1-2 good QB's available this time around.

Then draft 2-3 LB's right after him...( couldn't resist )
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• RedEyE
                            • Jul 2002

Cutler lacks consistency.
                            Vick is on a downward slope and headed for another off-field implosion IMO.

I think Rivers could flourish with the right offensive scheme but his mentality, his whiny antics remind me of a much less talented Marino.

The Bills have to go after talent at QB in the draft this year. I would NOT be against them giving up the farm to take the highest QB draft prospect if they're not in a draft position to take one.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Signals of desperate times and scary mentality.
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X