Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I had to draft a QB this year...

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If I had to draft a QB this year...

These are the guys I like:

1) Landry Jones- I just like how he plays. He doesn't have the ceiling of other prospects like Thomas but I think he can play earlier than Thomas and might become a real solid starter pretty quickly. His confidence and poise questions are well chronicled but I think if you put him in a system where he has lots of targets and gets the ball out fast like ours he can gain confidence. My early guess is that it doesn't take a 1st rounder to get him and I like that thought.

2) Logan Thomas- Has such a slick release and great arm strength but he's so raw. This is the type of boom or bust pick that Bills fans who don't want us drafting a QB will go nuts over. But, he could become really good if he develops his mental markup and gains more consistency. His upside may seem him land in the 1st round and like I said I can hear the complaints now if we spend our 1st on a guy who may need to sit for a few years.

3) Zac Dysert- I love the quick release and can picture him marching us down the field out of our spread. He has decent touch and seems to have plenty of arm strength. He's not as polished as Jones and doesn't have Thomas's upside but I like him. He may be a 3rd rounder or beyond who could have success in a system like ours early a.l.a. Russell Wilson.

I'm just not as high on guys like Bray, Wilson, or even Geno Smith. Smith can play but I really wonder about his ability to breakdown defenses.
    Last edited by X-Era; 10-21-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,404 Times in 14,132 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: If I had to draft a QB this year...

Well per McShay on a conference call the other day, Thomas's stock is down to Day 2 and maybe even Day 3. Not sure he'll leave early.

We'll know more about Landry after next weekend.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Well per McShay on a conference call the other day, Thomas's stock is down to Day 2 and maybe even Day 3. Not sure he'll leave early.

We'll know more about Landry after next weekend.
    Yeah, I mean he definitely is looking shaky this year.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,408 Times in 1,992 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What about Barkley?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    What about Barkley?
    NFL ready but he's getting some doubters due to his play this year. Lots of check downs.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Wilson is probably the best qb available that the Bills can get in the first round. Barkley and Smith will be gone already. Landry Jones seems to only be decent while ahead. Logan Thomas is a disaster this year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Wow. Walterfootball.com doesn't even have Landry Jones in his first 50 draft picks this week. He has Buffalo taking Wilson at No. 7 and Tavon Austin at No. 38. Austin's one of Geno Smith's wide outs at WVU.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Trample View Post
    Wow. Walterfootball.com doesn't even have Landry Jones in his first 50 draft picks this week. He has Buffalo taking Wilson at No. 7 and Tavon Austin at No. 38. Austin's one of Geno Smith's wide outs at WVU.
    I'm not shocked at all and have said as much.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,633 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Here's my short list

1) Geno Smith
    2) Zac Dysert

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The thread DB did on the main board is very good. Barkley,Smith,Wilson, Manuel are talents with a lot to work with. Ditto for Bray of Tenn.

I don't like Jones at all. I've already seen Bledsoe and didn't like it. He's a clone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Check out Jones tonight.

Notre Dame has a very good d-front seven. Their secondary can be had though. Will be interested in what Jones will do.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by k-oneputt View Post
    Check out Jones tonight.

Notre Dame has a very good d-front seven. Their secondary can be had though. Will be interested in what Jones will do.
    Personally I think the ND secondary is coming along but they still have big holes. Bennett Jackson (4 INT's) should be on Kenny Stills while the freshman Russell will be on Justin Brown. That's the matchup I expect Oklahoma to exploit. Matthias Farley and Zeke Motta have to be active tonight and it will be interesting to see Prince Shembo, Ishaq Williams, and Manti Te'o all cover Trey Moteymer out of the Oklahoma backfield. The biggest thing is if ND can get to Landry Jones, a few sacks early and Landry should fall apart.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Personally I think the ND secondary is coming along but they still have big holes. Bennett Jackson (4 INT's) should be on Kenny Stills while the freshman Russell will be on Justin Brown. That's the matchup I expect Oklahoma to exploit. Matthias Farley and Zeke Motta have to be active tonight and it will be interesting to see Prince Shembo, Ishaq Williams, and Manti Te'o all cover Trey Moteymer out of the Oklahoma backfield. The biggest thing is if ND can get to Landry Jones, a few sacks early and Landry should fall apart.
    Te'o and Jones are who I'll be focused on.

Big test for Jones.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,449 Times in 17,361 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Matt Scott had a good game today.

Admittedly I haven't seen him play except for bits and pieces, switching between USC-'Zona and Florida-Georgia, but he might be worth a closer look in the mid rounds.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

15. Post thanked by:

coastal (12-30-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Matt Scott had a good game today.

Admittedly I haven't seen him play except for bits and pieces, switching between USC-'Zona and Florida-Georgia, but he might be worth a closer look in the mid rounds.
    Agreed, his name came up last year when scouts were at Zona practices to watch Nick Foles. Many thought he out preformed Foles in drills.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So, I still like Jones. Geno Smith looked really questionable last night. He can make some terrible decisions and takes a long time to go through his progressions.

The whole class looks so mediocre. Barkley actually impressed me last night. He may just have the best decision making out of this class. But he also continues to underwhelm me overall.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    So, I still like Jones. Geno Smith looked really questionable last night. He can make some terrible decisions and takes a long time to go through his progressions.

The whole class looks so mediocre. Barkley actually impressed me last night. He may just have the best decision making out of this class. But he also continues to underwhelm me overall.
    I just dont get it with Jones, he continually struggles to make reads from the pocket after pressure starts building. Against ND he started to duck his throws because he was afraid to get hit (confirmed with OU blogger who breaks down every OU game). That's not what we need at QB.

I still like Geno a lot, I can live with bad decisions as long as you show that you can bounce back from them (short memory). He's still the best QB in this class. Really like Dysert in Rds 2-3 and I really think the Bills wait till then to take a QB. I dont think they are going QB in Round 1.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,449 Times in 17,361 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not liking Smith or Barkley.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I just dont get it with Jones, he continually struggles to make reads from the pocket after pressure starts building. Against ND he started to duck his throws because he was afraid to get hit (confirmed with OU blogger who breaks down every OU game). That's not what we need at QB.

I still like Geno a lot, I can live with bad decisions as long as you show that you can bounce back from them (short memory). He's still the best QB in this class. Really like Dysert in Rds 2-3 and I really think the Bills wait till then to take a QB. I dont think they are going QB in Round 1.
    I don't know. Landry has looked questionable too I agree. I just like his pocket presence in most cases. I like Dysert a lot too.

On Smith, he threw right at defenders so many times last night... Really scary looking.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,328 Times in 2,068 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

From what i've seen Geno Smith looks like the only round 1 talent at QB in this draft... there are a lot of others who will go in round 1, but i don't like their prospects at all. I need to start to recording some games and watching these guys more.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!