New stadium for the Bills in the future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: New stadium for the Bills in the future?

Originally posted by RedEyE View Post
    Am I missing something? Why does it HAVE to be retractable?
    Because otherwise its a pointless venue for January-July. In order to let it be a convention center, hosts concerts, host special events it has to have a roof that closes. That will allow more money to be brought into the area quicker.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
      I disagree that it HAS to be retractable. A retractable dome in Buffalo is a dome. They'll have it open 3 games a year, tops, Not worth the money. And I don't think PSL's and limited tailgating will help keep the team in Buffalo. I think they'll help drive the team out, because the games will become too expensive and people will stop going to the games to tailgate even when the team sucks.
      Who gives a **** if its not open ever? Do you honestly believe the weather that effects both teams is that big of an advantage? I recall there have been studies done saying the weather is closer to a zero net effect.

For years fans here havs said they will pay more, I dont think the PSL in Buffalo will cost as much as the one in Dallas or NJ, they aren't going to outprice their market place to that level. Im not going to even bother responding to the idea that people being unable to tailgate would drive the team away. That's ridiculous to even consider.
      COMING SOON...

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
        72000 people and look at the photo... wheres the parking? Wheres the tailgate?

It would be sweet and being on the harbor is perfect. I just don't see the real estate to actually do it.
        Stolen from BBMB:

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
          Who gives a **** if its not open ever? Do you honestly believe the weather that effects both teams is that big of an advantage? I recall there have been studies done saying the weather is closer to a zero net effect.

For years fans here havs said they will pay more, I dont think the PSL in Buffalo will cost as much as the one in Dallas or NJ, they aren't going to outprice their market place to that level. Im not going to even bother responding to the idea that people being unable to tailgate would drive the team away. That's ridiculous to even consider.
          I think you missed the point: if they're never going to open it, then it doesn't have to be retractable. It's a waste of money.

And no, the tailgating thing is not ridiculous. It's part of the Bills experience and it's what keeps Bills fans coming when the team sucks, particularly late in the year. If the team can get 10+ wins a season, you're right, the tailgating won't matter. But they can't. Take away the tailgating, and you'll be lucky to get 20k to show up for those meaningless December games.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• gebobs
            One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
            • Sep 2003

I think you missed the point: if they're never going to open it, then it doesn't have to be retractable. It's a waste of money.
            Why would it never be open? It would certainly be open for most games in the fall. And if there's a late season game where it's cold and not a blizzard, who says they can't use the weather to their advantage?
            Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
              Why would it never be open? It would certainly be open for most games in the fall. And if there's a late season game where it's cold and not a blizzard, who says they can't use the weather to their advantage?
              They won't open it if it's even the least bit cold. Fall games, yes, but how many is that? 2 or 3 games a year? 4 tops? It's not worth the cost to have it open for half the games or less.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• gebobs
                • Sep 2003

They won't open it if it's even the least bit cold.
                I read what you said. What is your source on this? Or is it just your opinion?

Fall games, yes, but how many is that? 2 or 3 games a year? 4 tops? It's not worth the cost to have it open for half the games or less.
                Huh? The Bills average 5 games each year before December. And in case you hadn't noticed, winters are getting milder.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                  • Sep 2012

Either go cheap with an open air field or go with a full-time dome, but I honestly don't see the point of a retractable dome. They're never going to open it in inclement weather because then they would need to add all of the other junk that goes with it (drainage, heated field) and that adds to the expense.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• gebobs
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                    Either go cheap with an open air field or go with a full-time dome, but I honestly don't see the point of a retractable dome. They're never going to open it in inclement weather because then they would need to add all of the other junk that goes with it (drainage, heated field) and that adds to the expense.
                    If that's the case, screw the dome. Keep it open.

Some people want a dome so it would attract a Super Bowl. Buffalo can barely handle an NHL All-Star game. A Super Bowl attracts more than just attendees. Visitors would have to get hotel rooms in Toronto, Rochester and Niagara Falls.

Comment

• RedEyE
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mrbojanglezs View Post
                      Stolen from BBMB:

Wow! Traffic in and out of there will be a nightmare.

Comment

• Ed
                        • Sep 2002

I've never liked the idea of indoor games for the Bills, but I think it's a reality that fans need to accept if they want the Bills to remain in Buffalo. There could be a few advantages though.

I think it would be easier to sell December tickets if people don't have to deal with the weather. I know there are the hardcore fans that like the experience of the harsh elements, but they don't sell out games. More people would prefer not to be cold and miserable when they go watch a game and it's not like a roof is going to keep the hardcore fans away.

It could also help make the Bills a little more appealing to free agents since most players aren't from places that have harsh weather.

The stadium would also probably be a lot louder, which could have a bigger impact on opponents than weather.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

And no, the tailgating thing is not ridiculous. It's part of the Bills experience and it's what keeps Bills fans coming when the team sucks, particularly late in the year. If the team can get 10+ wins a season, you're right, the tailgating won't matter. But they can't. Take away the tailgating, and you'll be lucky to get 20k to show up for those meaningless December games.
                          No my point re: roof is about more than just football. You can have an open roof for summer concerts and other events. Don't get me wrong Im ok with a full dome, I just hate the idea of building an open air stadium up there.

We may be lucky to get 20K this December with all the tailgating glory. Tailgating doesn't make or break attendance. But that points looks pointless now assuming the BBMB schematic is legit.

RedEye is right though, traffic would be an absolute nightmare.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• Ed
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by RedEyE View Post
                            Wow! Traffic in and out of there will be a nightmare.
                            Have you ever been to a stadium where traffic wasn't an issue?

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
                              I read what you said. What is your source on this? Or is it just your opinion?

Huh? The Bills average 5 games each year before December. And in case you hadn't noticed, winters are getting milder.
                              People in Buffalo often forget how poor the rest of the country's tolerance for bad weather is. The stadium will not operate under Buffalo weather rules. It will operate under the rules that will get the most asses in the seats- i.e.- if it's even the least bit uncomfortable outside, they will make it comfortable inside.

And I don't have a source- it's just my opinion. But it's all about money, and no matter what they say ahead of time, it won't work that way if it's built.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                Have you ever been to a stadium where traffic wasn't an issue?
                                Traffic is always going to be an issue whenever 75k+ are all heading to the same spot at the same time, but most other stadiums at least let you get out in multiple directions.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍