Thread: the polian years.... please come back!!!!!

Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER NOT THE DUDE...'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thumbs up the polian years.... please come back!!!!!

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: the polian years.... please come back!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

A problem with the Bills is that they're always trying to return to the 80's and 90's, what and who worked 20-30 years ago does not work today, it's time to move forward not backwards.

4. Post thanked by:

Albany,n.y. (12-23-2012)

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kishoph View Post
    A problem with the Bills is that they're always trying to return to the 80's and 90's, what and who worked 20-30 years ago does not work today, it's time to move forward not backwards.
    What tells you we're trying to copy something from the 90s, beyond the success part?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Oaf View Post
    What tells you we're trying to copy something from the 90s, beyond the success part?
    70 year old coaches and 70 year old GM's who's success was 20 years ago.

7. Post thanked by:

Albany,n.y. (12-23-2012)

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I didn't realize that analyzing football talent is something you lose. It also wasn't 20-30 years ago, the Colts won consistently until last year. I doubt it will ever happen because regardless of the public faces that Wilson and Polian put on, I think there is still some animosity. What forward thinking GM would come to Buffalo that would be better than Polian? Besides, Bill has a young version of himself that has experience in his son.

It would be very interesting to see Polian come back and it would be just as interesting to see Bills' Fans reactions should we not make the playoffs in two years. Would they slag off the guy responsible for assembling the best team Buffalo ever had and a shoe in for the HOF for his career achievements? Or would they cry like usual if it takes him some time?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    I didn't realize that analyzing football talent is something you lose. It also wasn't 20-30 years ago, the Colts won consistently until last year. I doubt it will ever happen because regardless of the public faces that Wilson and Polian put on, I think there is still some animosity. What forward thinking GM would come to Buffalo that would be better than Polian? Besides, Bill has a young version of himself that has experience in his son.
    Take a look at the Colts drafts for the last 5 years and ask yourself that question. The Colts won mainly because of one player, Peyton Manning.
    As far as Chris Polian goes, if anything, he's the reason that teams will shy away from Bill Polian, because of Bill's insistence of bringing his son along.
    Bill Polian thinks the Bills are heading in the right direction and wants the fans to be patient. No thanks.
    Last edited by kishoph; 12-22-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Take a look at the Colts drafts for the last 5 years and ask yourself that question. The Colts won mainly because of one player, Peyton Manning.
    As far as Chris Polian goes, if anything, he's the reason that teams will shy away from Bill Polian, because of Bill's insistence of bringing his son along.
    Bill Polian thinks the Bills are heading in the right direction and wants the fans to be patient. No thanks.
    You think NFL analysts, players and coaches tell you what they really think? The national football media are there to promote the game. The announcers, especially color commentators are glorified cheerleaders. You might hear snippets of truth, but one thing they almost never do is criticize the officiating. Every year we see games decided by the refs. Most of the media people are just the propaganda arm of the league. They won't have a job for long if they don't toe the party line.

You can say "No,Thanks", but when was the last time we had a GM worth a ****? Don't tell me John Butler because he tanked his last draft because he knew he was leaving. As far as Peyton Manning, who drafted him? They were questions before the draft about who the Colts should take, Manning or Leaf. Lots of draftniks had them rated very close.

Anyway, we don't have any say on who gets hired and fired. We just have to live with what happens.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You can say "No,Thanks", but when was the last time we had a GM worth a ****? Don't tell me John Butler because he tanked his last draft because he knew he was leaving. As far as Peyton Manning, who drafted him? They were questions before the draft about who the Colts should take, Manning or Leaf. Lots of draftniks had them rated very close.

Anyway, we don't have any say on who gets hired and fired. We just have to live with what happens.
    Just because we've had garbage the last decade, doesn't mean we have to settle. The league's hiring of coaches and GM's are moving away from "the old guard" and the Bills should follow suit.
    I'm aware that Polian drafted Manning...14 years ago.
    I know we really have no say and don't get me wrong I have a ton of respect of what Bill Polian did for this organization, but we can't keep chasing the past, it's time to move forward.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Don't tell me John Butler because he tanked his last draft because he knew he was leaving. As far as Peyton Manning, who drafted him? They were questions before the draft about who the Colts should take, Manning or Leaf. Lots of draftniks had them rated very close.
    This "Butler tanked the draft" is one of the dumbest myths that have persisted throughout the years. Did Buddy tank his 1st draft too? Bad drafts happen, nobody tanks a draft.

Myth #2-Manning & Leaf was a close decision. That's not even close to the truth! Manning conducted his interviews with class. Leaf wouldn't give Polian & Indy the time of day when they wanted to interview him (He preferred SD & wanted nothing to do with Indy & made it quite clear to Polian he didn't want Indy to draft him). Leaf showed up at the combine overweight & surly. Maybe among the guys writing draft reports in their basements they were close, but to Indy after seeing what an A-hole Leaf was up close, it was a no brainer decision that even if Buddy Nix was running things in Indy, he would have chosen Manning.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,468 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Polian had his time here, and we're all grateful for his contribution to the 'glory' years, but this team needs a shot in the ass that comes from youth. Let Nix retire, fire Chan & Co, promote Whaley and let him get his coaching staff and QB.

It would be very interesting to see Polian come back and it would be just as interesting to see Bills' Fans reactions should we not make the playoffs in two years. Would they slag off the guy responsible for assembling the best team Buffalo ever had and a shoe in for the HOF for his career achievements? Or would they cry like usual if it takes him some time?
    That's easy, just look at how Levy is perceived now vs prior to his return.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

HaHaHa. I pointed out in my first post that it is very unlikely that Polian would come back even in the unlikely event that the job was even offered. I said it would be interesting to see what would happen. Then we get all these responses. At the heart of it is ageism. Once you hit that big 70, you no longer are competent to do a job. All you septagenarians better just pack your bags, move to Florida and play chess and shuffleboard.

I always found it interesting and puzzling that so many other cultures admire and revere their older generations. They are considered wise and full of experience. People that you can learn from. Oh, but not in America. Older folks are almost reviled as worthless by the newest generation of button pushers, couch potatoes and narcissists.

Yup, at 70 you just need a one way ticket to assisted living so the fresh, new and forward thinking generation can right the ship. That's unless they're too busy texting.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,468 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

HaHaHa. I pointed out in my first post that it is very unlikely that Polian would come back even in the unlikely event that the job was even offered. I said it would be interesting to see what would happen. Then we get all these responses. At the heart of it is ageism. Once you hit that big 70, you no longer are competent to do a job. All you septagenarians better just pack your bags, move to Florida and play chess and shuffleboard.

I always found it interesting and puzzling that so many other cultures admire and revere their older generations. They are considered wise and full of experience. People that you can learn from. Oh, but not in America. Older folks are almost reviled as worthless by the newest generation of button pushers, couch potatoes and narcissists.

Yup, at 70 you just need a one way ticket to assisted living so the fresh, new and forward thinking generation can right the ship. That's unless they're too busy texting.
    I'm not saying Polian couldn't do the job based on his age, and he obviously has a HOF track record, but IMO an injection of youth with new/different ideas deserves a chance to prove themselves.

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I'm not saying Polian couldn't do the job based on his age, and he obviously has a HOF track record, but IMO an injection of youth with new/different ideas deserves a chance to prove themselves.
    Hmmm. Gregg Williams was considered a good young coach when we gave him the job. So was Mularkey. The honeymoon only lasted a couple years for Williams and a year for Mularkey. I even read where Mularkey's kids were harassed at school by their classmates AND parent's picking their kids up after school. I guess proving yourself has to happen immediately, especially for Bills'Fans, most of which cut their teeth with the Super Bowl teams.

I do agree that a GM has to be in tune with today's game because it is so different. In my view, Gailey understands the current game, but he hitched his wagon to a QB that limits the offense. When you don't even have a threat of going deep, the defense can cheat up on the run and on short and intermediate routes. I also think Chan has just lost it, letting the losses affect his psyche and therefore his playcalling. I feel bad for him as I feel bad for a lot of coaches. It's a hard job and even if you give 110% and don't win, you get sub morons like Jerry Sullivan giving you ****. Being an NFL head coach has a lot of positives, lots of money, part of an elite club, attention, but it also has a lot of negatives, especially when you lose. When a man has dedicated his life to doing a job and reaches the top of his profession, then is publically humiliated by people who have no clue and just are looking for a vicarious thrill on game day, how can he not be affected?

Bottom line, if you don't have a great QB in today's game, you are not going to succeed. The rules, the real and unspoken, are so tilted to the offense and the QB that without one you're nowhere. Nix and Gailey made the mistake of not getting a QB in the last draft. I truly believe that we would have taken Cousins in the 4th had Washington not grabbed him. I also think that Gailey is a good guy, but in his job, you can't be. He stayed loyal to Fitzy when he shouldn't have. That is the singular reason for his demise.
    Last edited by pmoon6; 12-23-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Polian is the most overrated front office guy in the history of pro football if you ask me.

He built our beloved bills glory team ill give him that, although he did it in the era before FA for the most part.

Then he had the greatest QB of all time fall into his lap in indy and failed to ever build a "Great" team around him. That teams success was 100 % because of how special a player Payton Manning is. The fact that Manning only has one ring is a failure on Polian. Just look at last years colts team to see how "great" of a gm Polian is. THAT is the team he built. And the reason he is working for ESPN and not a real football team. Seriously, look at his draft history in Indy...pretty pathetic.

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Reading some posts on this board reaffirm my opinion of Bills' Fans and NFL Fans in general.

Pathetic indeed.

Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER NOT THE DUDE...'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by venis2k1 View Post
    Polian is the most overrated front office guy in the history of pro football if you ask me.

He built our beloved bills glory team ill give him that, although he did it in the era before FA for the most part.

Then he had the greatest QB of all time fall into his lap in indy and failed to ever build a "Great" team around him. That teams success was 100 % because of how special a player Payton Manning is. The fact that Manning only has one ring is a failure on Polian. Just look at last years colts team to see how "great" of a gm Polian is. THAT is the team he built. And the reason he is working for ESPN and not a real football team. Seriously, look at his draft history in Indy...pretty pathetic.
    are you really that dense?

he built one of the top 10 teams of all time in the 90s bills, including drafting key players early and late... he talked kelly into coming here... he built a very nice team for a few years in carolina that went to a nfc championship. he then built a great great team in the colts! 3 teams, and always had great success... give me a break man

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Maybe i am Dense...Im not saying he is a bum, im just saying that i dont understand why people worship him like he is a god.

I disagree with his success as the colts gm, Look at his last few first round picks while there:

04: No pick
    05: Marlin Jackson
    06: Joseph Addai
    07: Anthony Gonzalez
    08: No Pick
    09: Donald Brown
    10: Jerry Hughes
    11: Anthony Castonzo
    12: Fired

Meh. Its better than Whitner, losman, Mckelvin, McCargo.

But i still dont see the genius.

and, "He talked kelly into coming here"

No, actully. The USFL folded.
    Last edited by venis2k1; 12-23-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by venis2k1 View Post
    Maybe i am Dense...Im not saying he is a bum, im just saying that i dont understand why people worship him like he is a god.

I disagree with his success as the colts gm, Look at his last few first round picks while there:

04: No pick
    05: Marlin Jackson
    06: Joseph Addai
    07: Anthony Gonzalez
    08: No Pick
    09: Donald Brown
    10: Jerry Hughes
    11: Anthony Castonzo
    12: Fired

Meh. Its better than Whitner, losman, Mckelvin, McCargo.

But i still dont see the genius.

and, "He talked kelly into coming here"

No, actully. The USFL folded.
    all of those picks are decent, and most drafts go that way if you have common sense. you win with a great qb and pass rush. something polian has always done...

and he did talk kelly into coming here, he could have demanded a trade.