Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: BuffaloWins Articles

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: This is your typical start for Mario Williams

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    Marrio didnt sign a typical contract. He should have been making an impact from the start of the season to the end. The only streak he's made so far, is disappearing from one game to an other.
    I get that. But this could be what we have with Mario. Look at how inconsistent his sack numbers are. I bet he'll be a lot better in the 2nd half. Sure, he's not worth the money. No one is. But I think no one watched him play before to see him play like this. This is who he is and money doesnt matter in regards to a player playing to that level.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gr8slayer View Post
    To be fair, the entire defense (and team at times) has disappeared at various points in the season.
    I agree, but there are players who who are making a fraction of what Mario is making , making a bigger impact.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joebuffalowins View Post
    I get that. But this could be what we have with Mario. Look at how inconsistent his sack numbers are. I bet he'll be a lot better in the 2nd half. Sure, he's not worth the money. No one is. But I think no one watched him play before to see him play like this. This is who he is and money doesnt matter in regards to a player playing to that level.
    I heard he shows up when he's called out. I hope he does but more importantly I hope he changes his way and shows up every game.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I still think that it would be wise to take a "wait and see" approach to this. If he truly is injured, then that would go a long to explaining the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    I agree, but there are players who who are making a fraction of what Mario is making , making a bigger impact.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,210 Times in 13,678 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And how many games are we going to lose while Mario takes most of the season to get into a groove? We've already lost 4, including 2 division games and 3 conference games. 3 of the losses were blowouts, one was an epic 4th quarter collapse.

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I honestly don't care too much about how many games he gets 1 sack, or streaks that he's on, or when he's usually cold. That's all crap. What I want to see is constant effort, which he clearly doesn't have. I'd rather our defensive line have constant pressure on the QB opposed to getting 3 sacks on 3 plays and then no pressure any other time, which is what is happening right now. Our D-Line was supposed to be among the best this year, turns out it blows.

7. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (10-31-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

which was the epic 4th quarter collapse? NE started in the third. last week was a typically 2001-2012 bills football loss.

i have a feeling mario plays really well this week. that's what my gut says, and my gut also says fitz will counteract any of the positives, the bills lose and mario loses interest for rest of season. This is the game where the "we are only 1 game out" crowd says, "ok, season is over."

it was so obvious at the jets game that this season was over. Such a pathetic organization and russ brandon carries most of that blame from me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,376 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Since when does signing a contract = high performance? I don't think he's ever going to match what he's making.

The Bills have to over pay to get him here, a fact people just have to accept. For me, I'd NOT sign him to that contract. Ever! And I know in that case, I'd be crucified for not spending the money regardless how Mario does with another team.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gr8slayer View Post
    I still think that it would be wise to take a "wait and see" approach to this. If he truly is injured, then that would go a long to explaining the issue.
    I agree. I'm not calling this hire a bust already. Just criticizing what he's done or hasn't done so far. We hired him with the thought that he would be better than Shobel. He hasn't even been better than Kelsay

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

finding some good in the season.

http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-b...ls-season.html

Chan Gailey needs to devote more of his offense to the run. Jackson and Spiller ground up 140 yards on just 20 carries against Tennessee but the run game disappeared when the Bills needed to milk the clock with a tenuous lead. If Gailey can swallow his pride and get the pair closer to 40 touches (30-35 being more realistic), his offense and winning percentage should be the beneficiary.

Out of the box stat: Spiller and Jackson have combined for 1,027 yards in total offense, which accounts for 45% of the Bills offense this year. It would also put them on pace for 2,200 yards.The 1,027 yards in total offense is more than Adrian Peterson, Adrian Foster and Frank Gore have.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: finding some good in the season.

Between the two backs, they averaged 6.8 yards against the Titans, yet had only 21 carries. Spiller is averaging 7.3 yards a carry this season, but his highest total of carries in a game is 15 (123 yds.). Right now they are both averaging just over 10 carries a game. This just makes no sense to me why between the two of them they are not running the ball 30 plus times a game.

Registered User Extremebillsfan247's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

They are running it more. The Bills running game this year has made up for about 48 percent of the total plays from scrimmage compared to last year at 40 percent, and 43 percent in 2010. The offense is about as balanced as it has been since Gailey took over as Head Coach. How much more should they run it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Extremebillsfan247 View Post
    They are running it more. The Bills running game this year has made up for about 48 percent of the total plays from scrimmage compared to last year at 40 percent, and 43 percent in 2010. The offense is about as balanced as it has been since Gailey took over as Head Coach. How much more should they run it?
    That stat is misleading, they are at the bottom of the league for offensive plays ran, also, although they average 28 carries a game, Jackson and Spiller each only average 10 carries per game, in the 4 games that Choice has had carries he averaged close to 8 a game, then you also have Brad Smith getting carries and also Fitz's carries add to it. You have a running back that has averaged over 7 yds. a carry, you have to give him the ball more then 12 times a game, along with Jackson, who looked in top form against the Titans. Adrian Peterson has 151 rushing attempts so far, Spiller has 72.
    They rank 23 in TOP, running the ball more will help improve that and also hopefully help cut down on Fitz's 1.4 ints a game. There's plenty of reasons they need to give the ball to Spiller and Jackson more. Spiller is on a pace to have about 200 touches, rushing and receiving, just in comparison, Thurman Thomas (not saying Spiller is Thomas) had 403 touches in a season and that worked out pretty well. When you have such a dynamic player, you need to use him, even if it means taking the ball out of Fitz's hands.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kishoph View Post
    That stat is misleading, they are at the bottom of the league for offensive plays ran, also, although they average 28 carries a game, Jackson and Spiller each only average 10 carries per game, in the 4 games that Choice has had carries he averaged close to 8 a game, then you also have Brad Smith getting carries and also Fitz's carries add to it. You have a running back that has averaged over 7 yds. a carry, you have to give him the ball more then 12 times a game, along with Jackson, who looked in top form against the Titans. Adrian Peterson has 151 rushing attempts so far, Spiller has 72.
    They rank 23 in TOP, running the ball more will help improve that and also hopefully help cut down on Fitz's 1.4 ints a game. There's plenty of reasons they need to give the ball to Spiller and Jackson more. Spiller is on a pace to have about 200 touches, rushing and receiving, just in comparison, Thurman Thomas (not saying Spiller is Thomas) had 403 touches in a season and that worked out pretty well. When you have such a dynamic player, you need to use him, even if it means taking the ball out of Fitz's hands.
    They rank 11th in the league in rushing attempts per game with 28.4. This team doesn't have a 1 back system, so obviously your not likely to see any 1 running back on this team get 20+ carries a game unless an injury requires it. Adrian Peterson gets more carries because he is a feature back, Spiller is not. JMO

The Voice of Reason ServoBillieves's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 607 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Take the ball out of Fitzy's hands and make it so we don't have to keep playing catch up.

This team should be bare bones, gritty football. Run the ball and stop the run. None of this fancy wildcat BS, the five wide set (even though 3 of the 5 receivers are open and Fitzy just stares down one who is covered), and play action if you want to pass.
    Bye Bye Brady...

17. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (11-01-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't expect either back to lead the league in carries, but since we have two quality backs and a wildly inconsistent QB we should be leaning on them for the majority of our offense. I'd think they should be getting 60% of the total touches minimum.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ServoBillieves View Post
    Take the ball out of Fitzy's hands and make it so we don't have to keep playing catch up.

This team should be bare bones, gritty football. Run the ball and stop the run. None of this fancy wildcat BS, the five wide set (even though 3 of the 5 receivers are open and Fitzy just stares down one who is covered), and play action if you want to pass.
    With a defense that gives up 32 points a game on average, how can this team not play catch up? lol

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

With a defense that gives up 32 points a game on average, how can this team not play catch up? lol
    Longer drives that aren't being stalled by fitz' bungling would help.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

21. Post thanked by:

kishoph (11-01-2012)

The Voice of Reason ServoBillieves's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 607 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

When Ryan doesn't throw a pick and immediately put Wann-worthless's defense back on the field.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

the bills should get comfortable running the clock and playing in shootouts. gailey thinks his run game is a result of keeping passes going. i disagree. i think if you have both RB's out there one running a screen Lt, the other running screen right with blocking and brad smith as QB, there will be holes of which all three guys are good at exploiting.

the bills offense is so terrible at consistent drives that work the clock that they may have to think outside the box.

and the bills could run so much, so effectively, that they'd open up playaction at the very least and flea flick to a big play where accuracy doesn't matter on the long ball if CB's are biting.

but i'm just a guy at a keyboard.