Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mario Williams begged another team to offer him less than the Bills did

Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,683 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Mario Williams begged another team to offer him less than the Bills did

This thread is making Hurkey look half way intelligent & reasonable, which means it's wrong.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Power to Give Rep

He does do multiple impressions so he must know what he is talking about.

Lance is known for his multiple personalities and ADD that create the various characters present in the 790 AM shows. Namely:

• SEC Guy, Dr. Karol Kenton Kogslotter
    • Communist News Network Spokesperson
    • Tony "The Hatchet Man" Valentine
    • Bernie "The Wolf" Wolfson

Lance also performs impressions of sports personalities. Examples include:

3. Post thanked by:

ThunderGun (11-01-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    If Peyton Manning hadn't hit free agency Mario Williams would probably be a Titan. Because Manning took as long as he did to decide where he wanted to play, it took Tennessee out of the running for Mario.

Why would Buffalo be Mario Williams first choice? The main reason he's here is because the Bills overpaid. Buffalo would have never been his first choice if all thing were equal. I don't blame Nix for making the move because he was the premier free agent at our biggest position of need, but our only chance of landing him was overpaying and that's what the Bills had to do.

I really hope the wrist surgery makes a difference and Mario ends up being that difference maker we were all hoping for, but it would be completely naive to believe that Mario Williams had the Buffalo Bills at the top of his list when it became a reality that the Texans couldn't re-sign him.
    Well, if Mario REALLY wanted to play in Nashville, he just had to wait a few days. Manning signed with Denver shortly after Mario signed with the Bills. There was plenty of time for Mario to sign with the Titans or any other team if he did not want to be in Buffalo.

5. Post thanked by:

mysticsoto (11-01-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,216 Times in 13,682 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think a lot of you are misreading this.

The guy is talking about one specific NFL GM/team. It sounds to me like there was one particular team that Mario was begging to play for, and that team either didn't want him, or couldn't afford him under the cap even if they paid him less than what Buffalo offered. It wasn't him begging every other team to make him an offer and no one did except Buffalo. It was him wanting to play in one specific place.

If that's the case, then I don't blame him. If I were good enough to play in the NFL, I'd definitely prefer to play for some teams rather than others.

7. Post thanked by:

delectrolux (11-01-2012),jlgarsh (11-02-2012),OLDSRIP (11-01-2012),SquishDaFish (11-01-2012),ThunderGun (11-01-2012),YardRat (11-01-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post

The guy is talking about one specific NFL GM/team. It sounds to me like there was one particular team that Mario was begging to play for, and that team either didn't want him, or couldn't afford him under the cap even if they paid him less than what Buffalo offered. It wasn't him begging every other team to make him an offer and no one did except Buffalo. It was him wanting to play in one specific place.

If that's the case, then I don't blame him. If I were good enough to play in the NFL, I'd definitely prefer to play for some teams rather than others.
    Well, according to the Houston Chronicle, that particular team, was the Houston Texans & I agree with you Op it is understandable a guy would like to stay where he was drafted & played his entire career up to that point.

9. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (11-02-2012),OpIv37 (11-01-2012),SquishDaFish (11-01-2012),ThunderGun (11-01-2012)

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Pffft, why don't you and your logic find a different thread to post in.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Really Opiv, using reading comprehension and common sense. you sir, should be banned for setting a bad example!

12. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (11-02-2012),OpIv37 (11-01-2012)

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Love the all out assault on Mario these days. He's one player and it's not your money.

The contract, not Mario, did wonders for this team. Frankly, I'm fine if we get nothing more than Kelsay play from him. But, I think we will get way more in the long run.

14. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (11-02-2012),Mike (11-04-2012),SeatownBillsFan21 (11-01-2012),SquishDaFish (11-01-2012)

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This is the first time that something like this has ever happened with a high priced free agent... ever.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,408 Times in 1,992 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Well, if Mario REALLY wanted to play in Nashville, he just had to wait a few days. Manning signed with Denver shortly after Mario signed with the Bills. There was plenty of time for Mario to sign with the Titans or any other team if he did not want to be in Buffalo.
    I don't think he necessarily REALLY wanted to be in Nashville, but if the Titans hadn't entered the Manning sweepstakes, Mario would have likely been their top free agent pursuit and in that situation maybe he decides to visit them first instead of Buffalo and ends up never leaving for any other visits.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,216 Times in 13,682 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    Love the all out assault on Mario these days. He's one player and it's not your money.

The contract, not Mario, did wonders for this team. Frankly, I'm fine if we get nothing more than Kelsay play from him. But, I think we will get way more in the long run.
    I think people are tired of the "long run." It's always about the long run with this team- rebuilding for a future that never seems to get here. For once, we go out and get a high-priced FA who's supposed to help immediately, and instead we're talking about the "long run" again.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kingJofNYC View Post
    He couldn't go to said team, because said team didn't want to offer even the lower amount. Lance Z updated.

Didn't have enough $ for Mario's demands, even if they were lower.
    So we overpaid him. That's not news. We all said that when we got him.

I just don't want to hear how he loved it here and all that other garbage he spewed. He signed for the $. Don't blame him really. I just thought it was funny as hell.
    It doesn't have to be one thing or another. The fact that he did like it here was probably just icing on the cake.

Edit: Also shows that we have to grossly overpay to get guys in FA, and that probably won't change until they actually put together a winning team.
    Not exactly a shocking revelation.

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What a pointless thread this is.

20. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (11-03-2012),SquishDaFish (11-01-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,911 Times in 5,303 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Of course he didn't want to sign here.

im sure u guys could bump a number of threads from the time Mario was in town till the time he signed where people were wondering what the hold up was.

it was clear he was using the Bills offer to shop. I think I remember Chicago being a player so maybe that's who is being referenced here.

In reality this is not an unrealistic scenario here unless you are just a complete homer. Afterall, it's not like Clabo didn't do the same the year before.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,468 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think people are tired of the "long run." It's always about the long run with this team- rebuilding for a future that never seems to get here. For once, we go out and get a high-priced FA who's supposed to help immediately, and instead we're talking about the "long run" again.
    The_Eagles_The_Long_Run.jpg
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    Of course he didn't want to sign here.

im sure u guys could bump a number of threads from the time Mario was in town till the time he signed where people were wondering what the hold up was.

it was clear he was using the Bills offer to shop. I think I remember Chicago being a player so maybe that's who is being referenced here.

In reality this is not an unrealistic scenario here unless you are just a complete homer. Afterall, it's not like Clabo didn't do the same the year before.
    It would be unrealistic to think Mario would come to Buffalo, a place he had never been to before in his life & sign a contract 10 minutes after the plane landed. Of course it took a sales job to get him to sign. The Bills had to convince him he would be happy in Buffalo with the Team, the City & the Money. They were able to convince him to sign before he left, good job by the Bills front office.

24. Post thanked by:

SquishDaFish (11-02-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Exclamation Re: Mario Williams begged another team to offer him less than the Bills did

It would be unrealistic to think Mario would come to Buffalo, a place he had never been to before in his life & sign a contract 10 minutes after the plane landed. Of course it took a sales job to get him to sign. The Bills had to convince him he would be happy in Buffalo with the Team, the City & the Money. They were able to convince him to sign before he left, good job by the Bills front office.
    Russ Brandon and Buddy Nix were the sales team... think about that.

It's not like we're dealing with Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick.

the only card they had was money, unless you want to count a drunk Jim Kelly as an asset.

and no one called on the money, so he took it.

whys that so hard to believe?
    Last edited by coastal; 11-02-2012 at 06:13 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    Russ Brandon and Buddy Nix were the sales team... think about that.

It's not like we're dealing with Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick.

the only card they had was money, unless you want to count a drunk Jim Kelly as an asset.

and no one called on the money, so he took it.

whys that so hard to believe?
    Yeah, Brandon & Nix were the sales team along with Kelly. Speaks well for the Bills future IMO.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah, Brandon & Nix were the sales team along with Kelly. Speaks well for the Bills future IMO.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Don't Panic View Post
    Too convenient considering the air of discontent about Mario right now. I think he would have kept looking if he didn't want to be here. What the hell is the difference between $90 million and $100 million if you don't want to be somewhere? Lance is probably being honest... its the exec who is full of it.
    In our world, 90mil or 100mil is not a big difference as long as your going to a team you want to play for. However, for these Athletes its often bragging rights and a sense of legacy. Mario will forever be associated with being the first defensive player to sign a 100mil contract and for the being the highest played player. He gets recognition for this.

All that being said, this article suggest that he was willing to take a little less money but that there were no takers.
    Please Make Sense