• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Mario Williams begged another team to offer him less than the Bills did

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
    Love the all out assault on Mario these days. He's one player and it's not your money.

The contract, not Mario, did wonders for this team. Frankly, I'm fine if we get nothing more than Kelsay play from him. But, I think we will get way more in the long run.
    I think people are tired of the "long run." It's always about the long run with this team- rebuilding for a future that never seems to get here. For once, we go out and get a high-priced FA who's supposed to help immediately, and instead we're talking about the "long run" again.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• jdaltroy5
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post
      He couldn't go to said team, because said team didn't want to offer even the lower amount. Lance Z updated.

Didn't have enough $ for Mario's demands, even if they were lower.
      So we overpaid him. That's not news. We all said that when we got him.

I just don't want to hear how he loved it here and all that other garbage he spewed. He signed for the $. Don't blame him really. I just thought it was funny as hell.
      It doesn't have to be one thing or another. The fact that he did like it here was probably just icing on the cake.

Edit: Also shows that we have to grossly overpay to get guys in FA, and that probably won't change until they actually put together a winning team.
      Not exactly a shocking revelation.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
        Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

What a pointless thread this is.

Comment

• coastal
          Legendary Zoner
          • Mar 2005

Of course he didn't want to sign here.

im sure u guys could bump a number of threads from the time Mario was in town till the time he signed where people were wondering what the hold up was.

it was clear he was using the Bills offer to shop. I think I remember Chicago being a player so maybe that's who is being referenced here.

In reality this is not an unrealistic scenario here unless you are just a complete homer. Afterall, it's not like Clabo didn't do the same the year before.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
            I think people are tired of the "long run." It's always about the long run with this team- rebuilding for a future that never seems to get here. For once, we go out and get a high-priced FA who's supposed to help immediately, and instead we're talking about the "long run" again.
            The_Eagles_The_Long_Run.jpg
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by coastal View Post
              Of course he didn't want to sign here.

im sure u guys could bump a number of threads from the time Mario was in town till the time he signed where people were wondering what the hold up was.

it was clear he was using the Bills offer to shop. I think I remember Chicago being a player so maybe that's who is being referenced here.

In reality this is not an unrealistic scenario here unless you are just a complete homer. Afterall, it's not like Clabo didn't do the same the year before.
              It would be unrealistic to think Mario would come to Buffalo, a place he had never been to before in his life & sign a contract 10 minutes after the plane landed. Of course it took a sales job to get him to sign. The Bills had to convince him he would be happy in Buffalo with the Team, the City & the Money. They were able to convince him to sign before he left, good job by the Bills front office.

Comment

• coastal
                Legendary Zoner
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by better days View Post
                It would be unrealistic to think Mario would come to Buffalo, a place he had never been to before in his life & sign a contract 10 minutes after the plane landed. Of course it took a sales job to get him to sign. The Bills had to convince him he would be happy in Buffalo with the Team, the City & the Money. They were able to convince him to sign before he left, good job by the Bills front office.
                Russ Brandon and Buddy Nix were the sales team... think about that.

It's not like we're dealing with Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick.

the only card they had was money, unless you want to count a drunk Jim Kelly as an asset.

and no one called on the money, so he took it.

whys that so hard to believe?
                Last edited by coastal; 11-02-2012, 06:13 AM.

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Russ Brandon and Buddy Nix were the sales team... think about that.

It's not like we're dealing with Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick.

the only card they had was money, unless you want to count a drunk Jim Kelly as an asset.

and no one called on the money, so he took it.

whys that so hard to believe?
                  Yeah, Brandon & Nix were the sales team along with Kelly. Speaks well for the Bills future IMO.

Comment

• coastal
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by better days View Post
                    Yeah, Brandon & Nix were the sales team along with Kelly. Speaks well for the Bills future IMO.

Comment

• Mike
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Don't Panic View Post
                      Too convenient considering the air of discontent about Mario right now. I think he would have kept looking if he didn't want to be here. What the hell is the difference between $90 million and $100 million if you don't want to be somewhere? Lance is probably being honest... its the exec who is full of it.
                      In our world, 90mil or 100mil is not a big difference as long as your going to a team you want to play for. However, for these Athletes its often bragging rights and a sense of legacy. Mario will forever be associated with being the first defensive player to sign a 100mil contract and for the being the highest played player. He gets recognition for this.

All that being said, this article suggest that he was willing to take a little less money but that there were no takers.
                      Please Make Sense

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post
                        According to Lance Zierlein

LOL
                        Who gives two ****s about this?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

If I were a professional athlete, I'm not, I would rather take half of what Mario fleeced from the Bills for a chance at a winning elsewhere.

Hell, if I was Mario, I woulda done whatever it took to stay in Houston rather than leave.

But ya know that's just me. Sports is supposed to be about competition and winning...some athletes, Mario Williams obviously, are only about the money. Then again if this report is true, maybe he's not completely about the money and other teams just didn't want him.

Although if that's the case, a competitive person would play with a chip on their shoulder like they had something to prove. Mario on the other hand just goes out there like he couldn't even give a crap what happens on the field as long as he can still go count the 0's in his bank account after the game.

I wonder if he and Fitz sit around laughing together going "Holy crap, we suck, this team sucks, but look at all the dam 0000000s these morons pay us." I'm half serious about this statement.

Comment

• coastal
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
                            If I were a professional athlete, I'm not, I would rather take half of what Mario fleeced from the Bills for a chance at a winning elsewhere.

Hell, if I was Mario, I woulda done whatever it took to stay in Houston rather than leave.
                            do you know what the difference is between $50 million and $100 million?

thats right... $50 million.

anyone who says that they would leave that amount of coin on the table for a "chance of winning elsewhere" is either stupid or lying.

as the saying goes... "When someone says it ain't about the money... guess what?

it's about the money."
                            Last edited by coastal; 11-04-2012, 04:32 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                              Peterman Sucks!
                              • Mar 2006

do you know what the difference is between $50 million and $100 million?

thats right... $50 million.

anyone who says that they would leave that amount of coin on the table for a "chance of winning elsewhere" is either stupid or lying.

as the saying goes... "When someone says it ain't about the money... guess what?

it's about the money."
                              When you have that much money, 50 million is like 50 bucks. Seriously what are you gonna buy for 100m that you wouldn't have been able to buy for 50m? Not too mention the fact he already had a big contract before this one and I doubt he was broke before signing his deal here.

Comment

• Mike
                                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
                                When you have that much money, 50 million is like 50 bucks. Seriously what are you gonna buy for 100m that you wouldn't have been able to buy for 50m? Not too mention the fact he already had a big contract before this one and I doubt he was broke before signing his deal here.
                                You aren't seeing the whole picture.
                                -First, a $100M contract is not worth a $100m! Its only worth what the signing bonus is. In this case 50M. IF he gets a career ending injury tomorrow, Mario would get cut and keep roughly 50M not a 100M,

-Second, Thus if he Took 50M from another team, most likely the sining bonus would be 25M

-Third, if he was injured he would have 25M for the rest of his life. Most players have dedicated their lives towards developing their football skills at the cost of developing other skills and as a result, most players dont have careers in other highly paid endeavors after football.

-Fourth, his expenses are way higher than the average persons: NFL players have mansions, cars, and piles and piles of debt. His overhead might be 500K/yr. He might be spending 1M/yr. Further, many NFL players help support many members of their family. As a result, he needs the $$$

-Fifth, most pro players have capital heavy investments such as restaurants, etc...

-Sixth, did you know that 78% of NFL players are broke 4years after leaving football??? Those are moster numbers and they include the top played players. Heck Sapp recently filed for bankruptcy. Fact is most of the NFL players do not have the financial education or know how on how to manage large sums of money and often blow it or give it to the wrong managers.

-Seventh, why leave money on the table for an uncertainty? You never know how things will play out. If you were an FA in 1994 and had your choice between the Bills or Rams, left money on the table and chose the Bills so you can win a SB how would you have felt a few years later when the Rams won?
                                Please Make Sense

Comment

Working...
                                X