• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingJofNYC
    • Sep 2009

Mario Williams begged another team to offer him less than the Bills did

According to Lance Zierlein

Lance Zierlein@LanceZierlein
    True story... I was speaking with an NFL exec about pass rushers & he told me that Mario Williams "begged us" to make an offer to him....
    Offer he was looking for was AFTER being given an offer from the Bills. According to this exec, he was willing to take less from this team
    LOL
  • IlluminatusUIUC
    • Sep 2012

Re: Mario Williams begged another team to offer him less than the Bills did

That has the pungeant odor of BS. If Mario wanted to solicit other offers, he had every opportunity to. Nix wasn't holding him at gunpoint at OBD (that we know of).

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• kingJofNYC
      • Sep 2009

I'm not sure it's far fetched. It just states that Mario took the most amount of money offered, Buffalo was not his desired destination but they threw buckets of money his way. Not that crazy. Wanted to maximize the amount of money he received, that's the bottom line.

Edit: It's not like he signed right away, took a few days to do so. While Nix didn't have him held at gunpoint he may have locked him in a closet. LOL
      Last edited by kingJofNYC; 10-31-2012, 05:30 PM.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
        • May 2009

Please move to the spam zone. This bull**** is worse than one of Skooby's threads.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
          • Sep 2009

Zierlein is incredibly connected. His father coached in the NFL, for this very team actually, and he's well respected around the league.

But ignore all that, and yell bull****! It's easier to deal with.

Edit: ATHLETE VALUES MONEY OVER EVERYTHING ELSE. I'M SHOCKED.
          Last edited by kingJofNYC; 10-31-2012, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post
            I'm not sure it's far fetched. It just states that Mario took the most amount of money offered, Buffalo was not his desired destination but they threw buckets of money his way. Not that crazy. Wanted to maximize the amount of money he received, that's the bottom line.

Edit: It's not like he signed right away, took a few days to do so. While Nix didn't have him held at gunpoint he may have locked him in a closet. LOL
            That's the opposite of what it suggests. What it suggests is that Mario desperately wanted to go anywhere but Buffalo even after we buried him in money, but no one else in the league even tried to lowball him despite his begging. That's why it sounds like BS. If Mario really was willing to take less money to play anywhere but here, he could have easily walked away from Buffalo and continued visiting clubs. It's ridiculous to suggest that Buffalo was the only team that wanted him, even if he was openly offering to reduce his salary.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• kingJofNYC
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
              That's the opposite of what it suggests. What it suggests is that Mario desperately wanted to go anywhere but Buffalo even after we buried him in money, but no one else in the league even tried to lowball him despite his begging. That's why it sounds like BS. If Mario really was willing to take less money to play anywhere but here, he could have easily walked away from Buffalo and continued visiting clubs. It's ridiculous to suggest that Buffalo was the only team that wanted him, even if he was openly offering to reduce his salary.
              He couldn't go to said team, because said team didn't want to offer even the lower amount. Lance Z updated.

@ChrisTrapasso They wouldn't offer less. Too cash strapped relative to what Mario wanted
              Didn't have enough $ for Mario's demands, even if they were lower.

I just don't want to hear how he loved it here and all that other garbage he spewed. He signed for the $. Don't blame him really. I just thought it was funny as hell.

Edit: Also shows that we have to grossly overpay to get guys in FA, and that probably won't change until they actually put together a winning team.

Another nugget. Someone asked Lance if that was why his effort was poor, playing for money. His response;

@ChrisTrapasso Not at all. I just think he's a follower and not a leader. He likes to be part of a good unit but doesn't like being the guy
              Last edited by kingJofNYC; 10-31-2012, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• Turf
                • Jul 2002

If I were an NFL player at this moment, I'm not sure if I would want to play for this kindergarten crew.
                Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Bangarang
                  • Sep 2010

So Mario signed a contract the first few days free agency started because he wanted to test the waters? Doesn't really make any sense.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                    It was reported that the Titans really wanted Mario & that was brought up again just before the Bills Titans game.

Comment

• feldspar
                      • Mar 2007

Usually, I just believe everything I read on the Internet.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                        • May 2009

Zierlein is incredibly connected. His father coached in the NFL, for this very team actually, and he's well respected around the league.

But ignore all that, and yell bull****! It's easier to deal with.

Edit: ATHLETE VALUES MONEY OVER EVERYTHING ELSE. I'M SHOCKED.
                        I looked like him up before my first post. He is a nobody from Houston.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Dec 2005

Too convenient considering the air of discontent about Mario right now. I think he would have kept looking if he didn't want to be here. What the hell is the difference between $90 million and $100 million if you don't want to be somewhere? Lance is probably being honest... its the exec who is full of it.

Comment

• Luisito23
                            Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                            • Apr 2003

I don't know what's worst, Mario's incompetence, or the many pointless threads about him.
                            "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                            ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                            ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                            ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• gebobs
                              One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                              • Sep 2003

What it underscores is that Nix overpaid.
                              Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍