Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "At least one more year"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 770 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: "At least one more year"

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    Again, please do your homework.

Two seasons with Dallas, both playoff seasons... that's just the NFL and doesn't count his record with Georgia Tech.

And, defending a 30 year old QB? Please re-read.
    LOL. This truly is a sad attempt man. Break out the sniffing salt and wake up to reality.

One of them playoff seasons was with an 8-8 record and he lost both playoff games. He did such a great job that he was fired and wasn't offered another HC job.

And you seriously consider six years with 5 and 6 loss seasons without ever finishing in the Top 25 in rankings at the NCAA level a success? You seriously have to be kidding me. The sad thing is you're not.

I already knew the answers and didn't need to do the homework. It's the truth in the homework that you can't handle. I have yet to hear anybody consider getting fired from a bunch of 7-5 and 7-6 seasons at the collegiate level a success.

I always thought that 0-2 losses was a good season. Maybe even 3 losses but not 5 and 6 losses a season. I may be wrong though. Maybe every team does go into the season saying hopefully we only lose 5 or 6 games and not finish in the rankings this season.

This guy couldn't out coach at least 25 other coaches in COLLEGE in any season over a 6 year span but he is a proven success. You seriously need some help man. Either that or learn to accept the truth.
    Last edited by BillsFever21; 11-03-2012 at 08:34 PM.

2. Post thanked by:

TrEd FTW (11-03-2012)

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsFever21 View Post
    LOL. This truly is a sad attempt man. Break out the sniffing salt and wake up to reality.

One of them playoff seasons was with an 8-8 record and he lost both playoff games. He did such a great job that he was fired and wasn't offered another HC job.

And you seriously consider six years with 5 and 6 loss seasons without ever finishing in the Top 25 in rankings at the NCAA level a success? You seriously have to be kidding me. The sad thing is you're not.

I already knew the answers and didn't need to do the homework. It's the truth in the homework that you can't handle. I have yet to hear anybody consider getting fired from a bunch of 7-5 and 7-6 seasons at the collegiate level a success.

I always thought that 0-2 losses was a good season. Maybe even 3 losses but not 5 and 6 losses a season. I may be wrong though. Maybe every team does go into the season saying hopefully we only lose 5 or 6 games and not finish in the rankings this season.

This guy couldn't out coach at least 25 other coaches in COLLEGE over a 6 year span but he is a proven success. You seriously need some help man. Either that or learn to accept the truth.
    Losing is losing. Just that simple. If you want to hate the guy so be it. But the data is what it is. Outside of Samford, he's been a winner until he came to us. You try to paint him as a guy who hasn't done anything but that's just not true.

Out of our possible hires, he was a decent get IMO.

Regardless, if you can guarantee me that the next coach can turn this team into a playoff squad in less than 4 years I'd take it... But you can't and our history shows we fail when trying to do that.
    Last edited by X-Era; 11-03-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Losing is losing. Just that simple. If you want to hate the guy so be it. But the data is what it is. Outside of Samford, he's been a winner until he came to us. You try to paint him as a guy who hasn't done anything but that's just not true.

Out of our possible hires, he was a decent get IMO.

Regardless, if you can guarantee me that the next coach can turn this team into a playoff squad in less than 4 years I'd take it... But you can't and our history shows we fail when trying to do that.
    I guess if consider someone who has been fired 3 times in his career with one winning season and never winning a playoff game in the NFL and losing 5-6 games a year in college a success then you're entitled to your opinion. There isn't many other people out there who would think the same thing.

Sorry to burst your bubble but 5-6 losses a season isn't considered good in college football. That is considered a poor team that will sneak into one of the weakest Bowl games since half of the teams get a game since there is so many of them. You would think a great HC would eat them college guys alive in the ACC. I guess it wasn't his fault there either. He just needed better players. Wait you bring in your own players in college so he did pick his players.

5. Post thanked by:

Billz_fan (11-04-2012),IlluminatusUIUC (11-04-2012),TrEd FTW (11-03-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Again, please do your homework. Nice try. Two NFL seasons as a HC before us. One was a winning seasons, one was a .500 season, both were playoff teams. Two seasons with Dallas, both playoff seasons... that's just the NFL and doesn't count his record with Georgia Tech. Not proven loser. That's just the facts.

And, defending a 30 year old QB? Please re-read. Theres a huge difference between saying were not being fair to Fitz and saying Fitz is all we need.
    I think most people would agree that isn't a proven success. You even consider 8-8 a success and losing both playoff games and then getting fired. Talk about low expectations. Even with Aikman, Smith and Irvin. It must have been the horrible three HOF players he had.

And if you really consider 5-6 losses a season and going 2-3 in Bowl games a success at the college level then you seriously are blind and lack any credibility. That kind of record in the NCAA will get you fired which is why he was.

But hey we have a coach who had one winning season in the NFL and has been fired 3 times along with bad seasons by NCAA standards. You won't find very many of them. Oh wait there are tons of coaches that had one winning season in the NFL and a career losing record. I think even Wanny did. Maybe he should be a HC too. Even he had more success then Gailey.
    Last edited by BillsFever21; 11-03-2012 at 08:59 PM.

7. Post thanked by:

TrEd FTW (11-03-2012)

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think most people would agree that isn't a proven success. You even consider 8-8 a success and losing both playoff games and then getting fired. Talk about low expectations. Even with Aikman, Smith and Irvin. It must have been the horrible three HOF players he had.

And if you really consider 5-6 losses a season and going 2-3 in Bowl games a success at the college level then you seriously are blind and lack any credibility. That kind of record in the NCAA will get you fired which is why he was.

But hey we have a coach who had one winning season in the NFL and has been fired 3 times along with bad seasons by NCAA standards. You won't find very many of them. Oh wait there are tons of coaches that had one winning season in the NFL and a career losing record. I think even Wanny did. Maybe he should be a HC too. Even he had more success then Gailey.
    Lol. I must have missed when we turned down the proven SB winning stud HC to take Gailey.

Your definition of loser would eliminate pretty much anyone we could actually hire... you do realize that right?

Gailey is far from a loser. His record at all levels proves he can win. Is he the right HC for us? Who knows. I think he's got what it takes to be what we need. I'd rather invest in a few more positions and see where that takes us than blow it all up and spend the next 3 years rebuilding to get to the same point. That's just me.

As I said, if you have something against the guy, so be it. Personally I can't stand Bill Belichump. No, I would never want him coaching our team. Is that logical? Probably not.

I'm not a Gailey homer, but I like his style and think he is just fine as a HC and can be a playoff caliber HC... he's already shown that. And considering who were likely to get if we can him, I'd rather just stick with who we have.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's funny how someone can even attempt to say 7-5 in the ACC is a success. That's all.

10. Post thanked by:

BillsFever21 (11-03-2012),Billz_fan (11-04-2012),IlluminatusUIUC (11-04-2012),Marcala12 (11-04-2012),TrEd FTW (11-03-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Lol. I must have missed when we turned down the proven SB winning stud HC to take Gailey.

Your definition of loser would eliminate pretty much anyone we could actually hire... you do realize that right?

Gailey is far from a loser. His record at all levels proves he can win. Is he the right HC for us? Who knows. I think he's got what it takes to be what we need. I'd rather invest in a few more positions and see where that takes us than blow it all up and spend the next 3 years rebuilding to get to the same point. That's just me.

As I said, if you have something against the guy, so be it. Personally I can't stand Bill Belichump. No, I would never want him coaching our team. Is that logical? Probably not.

I'm not a Gailey homer, but I like his style and think he is just fine as a HC and can be a playoff caliber HC... he's already shown that. And considering who were likely to get if we can him, I'd rather just stick with who we have.
    I don't hate Chan Gailey. I hate him as the HC of my football team. OC? Sure but not the HC.

I see where you're coming from. There isn't anything in our 13-26 record that would make me believe he isn't a playoff caliber HC LOL

You're acting like this a 35-40 year old HC who is riding his first rodeo and all it will take him is some time. He is 60 years old. He either has it or he doesn't and it's not like he is a coach to build around for the next decade.

I think you hate Belichick because he is good. I don't care for his personality but I don't hate him and respect him for being a good coach. Look at what he's accomplished and he's younger then Gailey.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
    It's funny how someone can even attempt to say 7-5 in the ACC is a success. That's all.
    Well you found somebody who does. I wouldn't think I would hear anybody from any conference consider that as a good record let alone the ACC. Coming from a Seminoles fan I realize how weak that conference has been for years and Chan still didn't have any success. Even if you were in the SEC that wouldn't be considered a success when you average almost 6 losses a season.

13. Post thanked by:

Mr. Pink (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It blows my mind that there are actually Bills fans in existence who are OK with this news. Wow. Continuity is utterly useless when you're leaving a horrible coach in place. The Bills have made zero progress under the Nix/Gailey regime in three years, and there's no reason to expect improvement in Year 4.

15. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (11-03-2012),BillsFever21 (11-03-2012),Billz_fan (11-04-2012),Marcala12 (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TrEd FTW View Post
    It blows my mind that there are actually Bills fans in existence who are OK with this news. Wow. Continuity is utterly useless when you're leaving a horrible coach in place. The Bills have made zero progress under the Nix/Gailey regime in three years, and there's no reason to expect improvement in Year 4.
    Well, Change for the sake of change is even worse unless you can guarantee the next coach will be MUCH better than who he replaced.

17. Post thanked by:

X-Era (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Well, Change for the sake of change is even worse unless you can guarantee the next coach will be MUCH better than who he replaced.
    There are never any guarantees unless somebody like Harbaugh, Belechick or McCarthy are going to leave their team and come coach the Bills. If you know that the HC, QB, or whatever position within the team isn't any good then you don't keep them around just for the sake of it either. If you don't try to improve then you definitely won't ever be any good.

That's why you need good people in the FO and ownership who are able to spot out the right coach or talent for the team. Unfortunately Ralph has failed once again with Nix which has lead us to hiring Gailey and only having a few decent players in three drafts.
    Last edited by BillsFever21; 11-03-2012 at 10:36 PM.

19. Post thanked by:

Mr. Pink (11-03-2012),TrEd FTW (11-03-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There are never any guarantees unless somebody like Harbaugh, Belechick or McCarthy are going to leave their team and come coach the Bills. If you know that the HC, QB, or whatever position within the team isn't any good then you don't keep them around just for the sake of it either. If you don't try to improve then you definitely won't ever be any good.
    So much logic and common sense in this post. Well done.

21. Post thanked by:

Billz_fan (11-04-2012),Mr. Pink (11-03-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Did the Ravens have any guarantees that they were going to get an upgrade when they fired a SB winning HC in Brian Billick and hired John Harbaugh instead? Did the Packers have any guarantees when they fired a perennial playoff team coached by Mike Sherman and hired Mike McCarthy instead?

Of course they didn't and there are many of them examples and we're talking coaches who had won a SB and consistently been in the playoffs. With the Bills we're talking about a 60 year old coach who only lasted 2 years as a HC the first time and then did horrible in college. Unless you consider 5-6 losses a year in college football a success. Not to mention losing twice as many games then he has won since taking over the job.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Have you been smoking the Buffalo blitz?

24. Post thanked by:

Billz_fan (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This is more crappy news. I never wanted Gailey to begin with. Said it then and I say it now. I also find it sad any Bills fan is ok with this. Even worse is it does not surprise me. Im sure they were all sitting around in a meeting and Buddy said Hell boys we may as well keep Chan for at least another year, nobody wanted this job when I hired him and I doubt that's changed Meeting adjourned.

Bums all of them. We just have to outlast the owner. It's all we have left.
    The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

26. Post thanked by:

Historian (11-04-2012),Mr. Pink (11-04-2012)

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    I guess that puts an end to that debate.
    http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=408683
    Well ****, I knew I sensed impending fail a couple days ago, and now I know why.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,970 Times in 15,211 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by djjimkelly View Post
    chan isnt the issue he needs a d coordinator to pair up with
    Yes, and then a real Head Coach to supervise them both.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Did the Ravens have any guarantees that they were going to get an upgrade when they fired a SB winning HC in Brian Billick and hired John Harbaugh instead? Did the Packers have any guarantees when they fired a perennial playoff team coached by Mike Sherman and hired Mike McCarthy instead?

Of course they didn't and there are many of them examples and we're talking coaches who had won a SB and consistently been in the playoffs. With the Bills we're talking about a 60 year old coach who only lasted 2 years as a HC the first time and then did horrible in college. Unless you consider 5-6 losses a year in college football a success. Not to mention losing twice as many games then he has won since taking over the job.
    Billick lost his team just as Gruden lost his in Tampa. That is the reason they were fired. Gailey has not lost this team yet. We knew Jauron SUCKED & I was all for firing him, but Chan has the Bills scoring more points than many teams & with a crappy QB at that. I'm for giving him another year.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If Nix is asked to leave, then his proclamation means nothing.

It's just words in a news piece.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

In my opinion, he's not our problem.
    I'm not a Gailey homer, but I like his style and think he is just fine as a HC and can be a playoff caliber HC... he's already shown that.
    2-12 in the division. How are you going to make the playoffs when you can only win 2 games in the division in 3 years?
    Last edited by gebobs; 11-04-2012 at 07:07 AM.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

32. Post thanked by:

Novacane (11-04-2012)