Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

Thread: Redskins Giving up on 2012 Season

  1. #21
    Registered User Mahdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Canada, Ottawa
    Posts
    9,211
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 385 Times in 233 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    31
    ZoneBux
    25,279.23
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    25,279.23
    Donate

    Re: Redskins Giving up on 2012 Season

    To be fair to the author of the thread, if Shannahan did indeed make these comments, which the article certainly suggests, then it does prove his point that some franchises are willing to look to the future and sacrifice wins for the opportunity to draft higher or develop young players that they might not otherwise put on the field if they were trying to win ball games.

    Even without a first round pick you still want a high pick in other rounds and also you can put young players on the field much much more without worrying about inexperience in an effort to get them ready for next year.

  2. #22
    Registered User ZAZusmc03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Allison Park, Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,058
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 65 Times in 43 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    7
    ZoneBux
    23,629.88
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    23,629.88
    Donate

    Re: Redskins Giving up on 2012 Season

    I came here from BBMB however long ago, and sadly its becoming more of the same because of this bull.

  3. #23
    Registered User Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,330
    Thanks
    204
    Thanked 504 Times in 263 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    14
    ZoneBux
    20,009.29
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    20,009.29
    Donate

    Re: Redskins Giving up on 2012 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Read the article....

    These are the Redskin players saying that some of their teammates 'will throw in the white towel'
    Its the coach saying that they are playing for 2013...

    I am pointing something very obvious out. Something that is so much of human nature and behaiour that fans want to pertend it does not exist. You think for some odd reason that NFL players play a 100% all of the time. They they dont take plays or games or seasons off. That somehow starting 3-6 doesnt make a difference. That coaches are allways trying to WIN....

    ***THE GREATEST COACH OF ALL TIME DID NOT CARE ABOUT WINNING!!!! ALL HE ASKED IS THAT HIS PLAYERS GIVE A 100% THATS ALL***
    What's your argument again? Originally it was that the colts lost on purpose to get the #1 pick. Now it's that people in general will stop trying when faced with adversity? Those are 2 different arguments.

  4. #24
    Registered User EricStratton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Cranford, NJ
    Posts
    18,481
    Thanks
    503
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,000 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    66
    ZoneBux
    37,172.39
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    37,172.39
    Donate

    Re: Redskins Giving up on 2012 Season

    If the team comes out next week with a 2nd string OLine, waives a few vets and starts players off the practice squad I'll believe this. Otherwise it's pure crap.

    I said you need to strive to better than everyone else. I didn't say you needed to be better than everyone else. But you gotta try. That's what character is. It's in the try.

  5. #25
    Registered User Mouldsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,312
    Thanks
    1,330
    Thanked 534 Times in 349 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    4
    ZoneBux
    16,328.72
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    16,328.72
    Donate

    Re: Redskins Giving up on 2012 Season

    Maybe the Rams can land the #1 pick and become a prime trading partner (again)

  6. #26
    Legendary Zoner trapezeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,017
    Thanks
    1,918
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 939 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    51
    ZoneBux
    48,581.67
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    48,581.67
    Donate

    Re: Redskins Giving up on 2012 Season

    i think shanahan said this as a form of motivation. he has an underperforming team. shanahan almost always has deflected any personal responsibility over the years when things go bad. he fires everyone else. but he takes the accolades when his team does well.

    So this is him walking away from people demanding that he win. "hey, it's on the players. and frankly i'm here next year. if they keep playing poorly they won't be."

    sounds like a motivational speech to guys who are on the bubble who maybe accepted the status quo.

    I do think teams give up in the year like mike suggests. it might not be a "let's go out and lose" but i remeber the TO year. he wasn't trying. arguably other guys were so frustrated with the same mistakes over and over and the same solutions and trent being the qb, they weren't going the extra mile to do anything. and when you fire the coach in the middle of the year, you are saying, "we are done this year. Everyone is on the bubble and you have to save your job if youwant it."
    *****************************************
    Russ Brandon: The reason the Bills suck year after year
    ****************************************

  7. Post thanked by:

    Mouldsie (11-05-2012)

  8. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    2,168
    Thanks
    217
    Thanked 311 Times in 184 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    10
    ZoneBux
    55,550.56
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    55,550.56
    Donate

    Re: Redskins Giving up on 2012 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    What's your argument again? Originally it was that the colts lost on purpose to get the #1 pick. Now it's that people in general will stop trying when faced with adversity? Those are 2 different arguments.
    Colts:
    I never said the Colts organization all sat in a dark room and decided to lose on purpose but instead a perfect situation for tanking was created and that it worked. What I said was that the organization, FO, Coaches, Players gave up on the season and underperformed in concert with the manipulation from above.

    Redskins
    The point is that its not all about winning. Players and Coaches 'give up' quite a bit when making playoffs is out of reach to the point that players and coaches even talk to the media about it. Games are then about developing talent, ie its preseason!

    Saints:
    Saints started out 0-4! Why, yes there was a reason and before you jump up my ass on the assumption that it was draft related hear me out, there was another reason. How & Why: Payton intentionally named interm Joe Vitt as interm coach. Joe Vitt being a guy who was an ok coach at best, and himself suspended for 6weeks. Why not hire Bill Parcels, a man who wanted the job and was familiar with system or Saints OC candidate -who was a hot coaching candidate??? So, WHY? NO, not draft picks, it was simply designed to save his career. Now Payton is one of the hottest coaching candidates. Had Saints started out 4-0 with a formidable coach like Parcels or their OC then Paton may have been a tainted coach out of a job at the end of the season.

    Overall Point: Manipulation from above can be a very effective means into influencing players,coaches, etc... -many of whom have given up themselves into giving minimal effort which leads to losing far more than under competitive circumstance.
    Please Make Sense

  9. #28
    Smells like Bodissy HurkeyNuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bills Country - Ransomville
    Posts
    9,161
    Thanks
    1,224
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,022 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    27
    ZoneBux
    31,063.10
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    31,063.10
    Donate

    Re: Redskins Giving up on 2012 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Here is a real life example of a team giving up on a season which leads to tanking it... After their loss today Redskins are 3-6 putting them in a position where they will have to win out in order to make playoffs. They are trowing in the White Towel.


    "Giving up on 2012" "Looking at 2013" or "throwing in the white towel" means not giving a **** about how many more games they Win, thus winning is no longer the goal but player evaluation which is another way to tank the last half of the season.

    ***For those of you who believe that coaches and players never quite and always try to win.... your wrong***
    Shanahan came out and said today that it's bull**** that reporters reported that his statements meant that he's given up on the season. Jumped the gun again.

  10. #29
    Registered User Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,330
    Thanks
    204
    Thanked 504 Times in 263 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    14
    ZoneBux
    20,009.29
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    20,009.29
    Donate

    Re: Redskins Giving up on 2012 Season

    So why did the Redskins win today, Mike?

  11. #30
    Registered Sex Offender Mr. Pink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    the fifth ring of hell
    Posts
    19,156
    Thanks
    363
    Thanked 1,670 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    0
    ZoneBux
    73,550.94
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    73,550.94
    Donate

    Re: Redskins Giving up on 2012 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    So why did the Redskins win today, Mike?
    Teams that give up roll up 31-6 beatdowns on occasion.

  12. #31
    Registered User cgbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    X_era's moms house
    Posts
    298
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    4
    ZoneBux
    786.81
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    786.81
    Donate

    Re: Redskins Giving up on 2012 Season

    Hahahaha

    THREAD BUSTED!!!

    Close her up kids.
    a decent qb can win a fluke super bowl. but a franchise qb makes a perennial powerhouse.

  13. #32
    Registered Sex Offender Mr. Pink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    the fifth ring of hell
    Posts
    19,156
    Thanks
    363
    Thanked 1,670 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    0
    ZoneBux
    73,550.94
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    73,550.94
    Donate

    Re: Redskins Giving up on 2012 Season

    2-0 since they were "giving up" Mike!

  14. #33
    August Crush! Frenchman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    75
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    0
    ZoneBux
    1,236.83
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    1,236.83
    Donate

    Re: Redskins Giving up on 2012 Season

    Well they won against their rivals the Cowboys. Does that account for something?!
    ​August Crush!

  15. #34
    Registered User Mike13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Miami FL
    Posts
    5,340
    Thanks
    631
    Thanked 716 Times in 446 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    21
    ZoneBux
    21,610.43
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    21,610.43
    Donate

    Re: Redskins Giving up on 2012 Season

    Is this slack-jawed retard going to own up to his bull****.

  16. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    2,168
    Thanks
    217
    Thanked 311 Times in 184 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    10
    ZoneBux
    55,550.56
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    55,550.56
    Donate

    Re: Redskins Giving up on 2012 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike13 View Post
    Is this slack-jawed retard going to own up to his bull****.
    What exactly do you want me to own up to???

    All I am arguing is that some teams give up... you guys are arguing that that never happens. I admit that this is highly controversial and that it is Wild Speculation...

    What I found interesting is that there was an article which quotes players and coaches talking about this very thing. What is most important is the timing of the quotes. It came after a heart breaking loss, and it seems in retrospect that players and coaches reacted emotionally when speaking. When speaking emotionally people tend to be more honest and filter less.

    As far as the Redskins winning, I'll eat the crow, however it does not mean that giving up does not exits.

  17. #36
    Registered Sex Offender Mr. Pink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    the fifth ring of hell
    Posts
    19,156
    Thanks
    363
    Thanked 1,670 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    0
    ZoneBux
    73,550.94
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    73,550.94
    Donate

    Re: Redskins Giving up on 2012 Season

    Good thing for the Giants the Redskins "gave up"

    Oh wait.

  18. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    2,168
    Thanks
    217
    Thanked 311 Times in 184 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    10
    ZoneBux
    55,550.56
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    55,550.56
    Donate

    Re: Redskins Giving up on 2012 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
    Good thing for the Giants the Redskins "gave up"

    Oh wait.
    Read what Mahdi wrote. I am very glad the Redskins won. That being said did you watch the game? Did you hear Gruden talking about it, the comments that Shanahan said. What about Steve Young? Did you watch the post game report?

    What you implied was that I lied and made the whole thing up- heck I had to show you a link. FU for thinking that. All I did was post what was said. What coaches and players were quoted saying after a loss. And you still justified it.

    Whats the point? The point is that teams do give up on winning when it seems impossible to make the playoffs. Organization IR players, play backups, release players, etc.. when winning seems over. Just go look at the Eagles. During these time for such teams it becomes about next season. If you dont think that this NEVER happens in pro sports you are quite irrational.

    If you think every team does everything it can do every single year without reservation to win no matter their record or circumstance and that giving up has never occurred in the NFL let me know because that is what you are arguing.

  19. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    1,498
    Thanks
    267
    Thanked 791 Times in 413 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    15
    ZoneBux
    36,835.44
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    36,835.44
    Donate

    Re: Redskins Giving up on 2012 Season

    Mike,
    Please start a "Bills Giving Up on 2012 Season" thread so that we have a shot at the playoffs.

    (I kid, I kid)

  20. #39
    rodger dorn of predictions Discotrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Native: West Seneca Now: Florida
    Posts
    20,996
    Thanks
    414
    Thanked 959 Times in 683 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    55
    ZoneBux
    121,203.85
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    121,203.85
    Donate

    Re: Redskins Giving up on 2012 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Read what Mahdi wrote. I am very glad the Redskins won. That being said did you watch the game? Did you hear Gruden talking about it, the comments that Shanahan said. What about Steve Young? Did you watch the post game report?

    What you implied was that I lied and made the whole thing up- heck I had to show you a link. FU for thinking that. All I did was post what was said. What coaches and players were quoted saying after a loss. And you still justified it.

    Whats the point? The point is that teams do give up on winning when it seems impossible to make the playoffs. Organization IR players, play backups, release players, etc.. when winning seems over. Just go look at the Eagles. During these time for such teams it becomes about next season. If you dont think that this NEVER happens in pro sports you are quite irrational.

    If you think every team does everything it can do every single year without reservation to win no matter their record or circumstance and that giving up has never occurred in the NFL let me know because that is what you are arguing.
    Oh, it's generic "teams" now, not the (ahem) title of this thread.

    Great game against the Giants!

    Patti

  21. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    2,168
    Thanks
    217
    Thanked 311 Times in 184 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    10
    ZoneBux
    55,550.56
    Bank
    0.00
    Total ZoneBux
    55,550.56
    Donate

    Re: Redskins Giving up on 2012 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Discotrish View Post
    Oh, it's generic "teams" now, not the (ahem) title of this thread.

    Great game against the Giants!

    Patti
    I have argued that over a year now. There is a certain percentage of members on this board that for some reason think that NFL players are these super humans who never succumb to laziness no matter the circumstances because of the pay they receive The Redskins were an example that giving up does happen in the NFL. The fact that an NFL Coach and Players talked so openly about it with nothing to gain was evident of that notion. If you read whole conversation basically I am getting blasted for sharing a link with information that goes against what the fans want to believe. Giving up does happen in the NFL even when there is nothing to gain the same way it happens at your job.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •